Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to the music of today / #8 Ihsahn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to the music of today / #8 Ihsahn
    Posted: December 30 2010 at 04:24
This is the seventh continuation of the #1 thread where I wrote

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It seems to me that there is a certain encouraging amount of interest for new music and albums of 2010 on PA, but people don't follow recommendations unless they come with "all inclusive". I have decided to start a series of recommendation threads for 2010 albums, in which I promote albums that can be fully streamed for FREE on the internet, thus making the sampling as easy and accessible as possible for those interested. There's no excuse for not checking these releases out now!

Remember guys, I don't do this for every 2010 album that can be streamed, but only for the really GOOD ones! Big smile

This next recommendation is for the metal band IHSAHN, the solo project of Vegard Sverre Tveitan, the man from Emperor and Peccatum. I wasn't convinced much by the 2008 album angL, but this one from 2010 is excellent, with many highlight such as amazing sax (!!) all over the album (and especially on "Undercurrent", "Heaven's Black Sea" and "On The Shores"), or the acoustic progressions and fuzz bass leads on "Austere". The album can be heard in full on youTube, and I'll embed the videos bellow.

| 64 ratings
After

Edited by harmonium.ro - December 30 2010 at 04:25
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 04:27
The collab reviews are quite revealing.

Review by Marty McFly
COLLABORATOR Crossover and E&O Teams
4 stars It's a neat trick to use noise as the background of music and to build this progressiveness on it. Because most bands ends by this "noise" thing and it's not Prog then. But what actually is Prog ? Well, hard questions and I unfortunately don't have answers that will please you. Answer is 42 then.

I'll also not go if Ihsahn (name to prevent correct spelling?) deserves better place in charts, that's irrelevant. Important question is whether these additional elements are enough to justify higher rating, or so bad to justify bad rating.

I sometimes review in style that I don't know what rating will I give to the very last moment. This is the case.

I can't listen most hardcore Death Metal / Avantgarde bands, but I can listen "After", so it's somehow weaker in ho/terror bringing than their more unpleasant brothers. It's nothing mellow of symphonic either, but that doesn't matter as long as you can take trash riff style and weak growls.

Anyway, it's interesting how every growl sounds different, but not just a little bit, but quite a lot.

These songs have melody, sometimes good one, but the important thing is that when we mix all these things that you have for sure heard in previous reviews (I don't want to go through this again), add how I like this (a little bit), end with counter argument that it's not so bad (better average), you're on

4(-) position that means: "Marty like it, you're free to try it too, why not after all. You'll probably like it too, but it's not extremely interesting (I wouldn't kill for this music)."

Review by snobb
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR ZART & JR/F Team

5 stars I am not a regular prog metal listener, but usually am trying to listen at least most interesting releases when possible. This year I was really pleasantly surprised by Enslaved release. But this ex-Emperor frontman's third solo release is really better!

Ihsahn plays 8-string Ibanez guitar and occasionally keyboards on this album, but this music isn't axe-guitarist album. With his roots on symphonic black metal of Emperor, music on this album is very different from it, and being vary various, shows the trend to post-metal sound.

Compositions strongly differs between each other (for good for sure) and are sounding somewhere between a bit lazy black metal, some trash, melodic prog and some post-metal with free jazz (!) elements. Almost every song has its melody, tempos differ from slow to almost fast trash. Most important is album's atmosphere - differently from many modern metal albums with energy and rhythm absolute dominance, this album is melodic! Possibly,some prog metal fans could be disappointed by plenty of softer and not so heavy moments on the album, but such structure makes it much more interesting and attractive.

Vocals vary from growl and scream to clean voice, but its always sound good. Possible, most attractive and really positive element in all album's music is use of many sax solos, sometimes even free-jazz sax attacks! Far not very usual, but very successfully used on this album combination!

Not radically experimental, this album is more well balanced release,based on best components of modern progressive metal of last few years. Album of modern heavy music, but for pleasant listening, not for being shocked by unusual sounds or radical experiments. And very successful album!

As I mentioned above, it's very possible I missed few more really interesting prog metal releases of this year, but from what I listened of that genre, this album is absolutely the best one!

My rating is 4,5 rounded to 5! Very recommended not only for metal fans, but for every open ears prog lover!

Review by Bonnek
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team

5 stars 2010 and the majority of releases in the metal field have become faceless troll-cloning affairs, but the old pioneers from the 90s keep surprising me with fresh and inspired albums. And just like Enslaved, also the project around mr. Ihsahn (from their Norwegian soul brothers Emperor) released an inventive and powerful album.

After contains technical modern metal, it's somehow similar to Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini but Ihsahn has moved further away from their black metal roots then Enslaved. The hoarse shrieks are still chilling as of old, but the music is more diverse, often rooted in thrash metal, sometimes in black metal, and quite often in Voivod prog metal. Ihsahn even incorporate some elements from jazz and avant, mainly evident in the tasty addition of saxophones and fretless bass. Also the production is fantastic; in an age of overstressed production values this album avoids the constant and deafening loudness of your regular modern metal album.

As usual the vocals are split between clean vocals and vile black metal screams. Both work perfectly on this release and accentuate the great dynamics and diversity on this album. Obviously, the shrieks and growls are a notorious acquired taste and for sure we can expect a negative review pointing at that element any day soon.

This album is comparable to Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini but it is more technical and innovative, while Enslaved's album is more atmospheric and intense. I have a slight preference for the intense and atmospheric angle but in fact both albums are equally fantastic. Hail Norway for releasing not less then 3 five-star albums for me in 2010!

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 05:32
Alex,take a look on Masterpieces by year.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 05:33
I would have expected you liked this even without seeing that Wink Thumbs Up
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 08:54
I like this album, not as much as his previous ones, but still very good. In any case, I do rate highly his music, and recommend it for those interested in forward thinking metal. Though I was not sure why people were surprised to hear a saxophone on an album and then decide upon that, that this is a prog albumt and also state that this was the first metal album with one (guess they didn't hear examples from the past). 

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 14:07
After 1st audition too "metal" for my tastes
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 18:31
Hi,

If you find a band that does not use song structures or music structures, let me know ... I'm kinda tired of hearing the same thing from different people. And metal is one of the worst groupings for that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 18:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

If you find a band that does not use song structures or music structures, let me know ... I'm kinda tired of hearing the same thing from different people. And metal is one of the worst groupings for that!
Found one! start your car and listen to the engine!
Another! slap a random stranger and listen to their responce!

really though, no song structure or music structures? why?

honestly your best bet for that is to listen to circuit bent electronics and not to music created by people
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 18:40
Plenty of prog groups don't use song structure.
 Post Reply Post Reply