Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Listen to the music of today#9 God Is An Astronaut
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to the music of today#9 God Is An Astronaut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to the music of today#9 God Is An Astronaut
    Posted: December 30 2010 at 06:30
This is the eight (already! Big smile) continuation of the #1 thread where I wrote

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It seems to me that there is a certain encouraging amount of interest for new music and albums of 2010 on PA, but people don't follow recommendations unless they come with "all inclusive". I have decided to start a series of recommendation threads for 2010 albums, in which I promote albums that can be fully streamed for FREE on the internet, thus making the sampling as easy and accessible as possible for those interested. There's no excuse for not checking these releases out now!

The album I'm promoting here is the latest album by GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT. I might eventually call this the best post-rock album of 2010. Not that 2010 has been a great year for post-rock, but this is actually very good. Typical modern post-rock, beat-based instead of abstract explorations, and with great melodies. Recommended!

The album can be streamed on YouTube, and I'll embed the videos bellow. Happy listening!

| 11 ratings
Age of the Fifth Sun

Edited by harmonium.ro - December 30 2010 at 06:31
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 06:32
This review pretty much sumps up my feelings:

Review by Conor Fynes
PROG REVIEWER
4 stars 'Age Of The Fifth Sun' - God Is An Astronaut (7/10)

Along with Texan breakthrough artists Explosions In The Sky, the enigmatic Irish group God Is An Astronaut essentially dominate the instrumental post-rock sphere. Not unlike many of their contemporaries, the band is known for their soaring atmospheric sound, ethereal guitar arrangements and brooding compositions. While the band's fifth album 'Age Of The Fifth Sun' sees no revolution in the band's sound, God Is An Astronaut does deliver here, making for a pleasant, if not completely engaging listen.

Something that may differentiate God Is An Astronaut from other post-rock bands such as the aforementioned Explosions In The Sky is their use of electronics in their soundscapes, and in their songs for added atmosphere and effect. 'Age Of The Fifth Sun' may show the band progressing a little more into using electronic equipment in the mix, but existing fans of this band should expect nothing different from previous albums. Melancholic, yet uplifting, beautiful guitar work, lush backing ambiance and some of the most technically accomplished and tasteful drumming the genre has to offer are all staples of the music heard on 'Fifth Sun'.

The compositions are fairly minimalistic, which will inevitably lead to some finding the music somewhat boring, should they be looking for something a bit more to the point. However, each track here does retain some memorable qualities, and parts even reach the point of being 'catchy', in a pop sense. The opener 'Worlds In Collision' for example; while being far from the strongest track on 'Fifth Sun', it has a very engaging, energetic melodic section that seems to act as a 'chorus', and the rest of the track seems to meander around the peak, before trailing off into a beautifully done piano outro. However, the most stunning track here may be 'Shining Through,' which ironically is the most typically post-rock oriented piece of music on the album. Soaring and steadily building lead work from the guitar flies overtop the rest of the mix, before breaking down in a heavier climax. While many of the songs here appear to follow a similar formula, 'Shining Through' holds the most sway with me.

'Age Of The Fifth Sun' is nothing new for God Is An Astronaut, so those who dislike the band will keep on disliking. For anyone else though, the album stands as being a very good piece of work, despite the fact that the band has arguably done better for themselves in the past, and there isn't much here that we haven't already heard.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 07:07
I like it too
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 07:53
Post rock!!!ClapClapClapNice band but is more electronic than other bands.I don't like that.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 08:47
A fine album. 
With regards to the comment about electronic elements creeping in post rock, this is actually refreshing; not necessarily the electronic elements themselves, but trying to freshen up and perhaps reinvent post rock, and not redo the same thing over and over and re-record GYBE, EITS, Mono etc sounding albums over and again and so these bands are bringing in fresh air to this instrumental epic rock domain. 
Another band is Maserati and their new album. Pyramid of the Sun (which is not yet added to their PA page); an album in which, though simpler song forms are present, their layering and sound is different than the surrounding post rock ocean of bands. 
In any case, I second this thread's album of focus. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 09:23
I agree, Assaf. Puting a beat-based foundation under the trademark post-rock guitar-scaping was a good and tasteful idea. From this area, I strongly recommend Pivot and Lymbyc Systym. And I guess that anyone who has heard Tortoise could see this new stylistic development coming.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 11:50
Thanks for sharing this. They are a pretty good band whose music can easily appeal to any prog fan, I really like their previous works, and now I must listen to this recent release, still unknown to me, but from what I've read, seems to be interesting.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 12:42
I do very much like this band.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 09:15
GIAA is one of those bands that fit into that "I've heard of them but haven't *heard* them" catagory. Not bad at all. Certainly more interesting than the majority of recent Post-Rock I've heard.
disastercasper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 06:02
One of the few bands that stands out in the one-trick pony subgenre post-rock tends to be. I really enjoyed the new album, as I did with all the others ;-) They also pull off a hell of a live show.
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 16:30
new GIAA didn't impress me much, they have better albums then this one. I second Assaf's assumption on Maserati's new album, great album, there weren't so many great post rock albums this year, poor year for post rock. Ans also like the idea of mixing post rock with some electronic rhythm like Lymbyc Systym, The Album Leaf, 65days of static, it's kinda refreshing post rock a bit, bringing new dimension 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 17:22
Yeah it's not great, but it's not bad at all, either. Especially in a bad year for post-rock, which makes it stand out. I tried Maserati but that really disappointed me; I could hardly rate it *** for the sake of objectivity (as the enjoyment was a lot bellow). 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 17:25
Maserati is a very good band.I think that they differ from other bands of post rock.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 03:49

GIAA is a great band however the latest album does not shape up to their earlier work. Check out the following clips from their previous albums as (IMO) better examples of their work.

Edited by deandob - January 10 2011 at 04:04
 Post Reply Post Reply