Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKrautrock-sound in US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:22
COSMIC DEBRIS - "same" ('80)
Who would think that something mastered in Nashville,Tennesse would be this cosmic?

Only mastermen know this  longtrack psychcosmische headtrip.

This trio is spot on.
There are few electronic lps which have electric guitar-work thats equally good. (Right now I can only think of Aphorisms Insane.)

This lp is THE BAGG and no one here ever even heard of it.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 15:16
I think a lot of no-wave bands were influenced by krautrock :
Lydia Lunch
DNA
James Chance and the Contortions
lounge lizards
Mars

English Post-punk were also greatly influenced by krautrock.

Edited by lucas - January 02 2011 at 15:17
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Baggra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 16:28
Not in my specified time-span, Luka.

Take that no-wave elsewhere.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 16:39
From your country, Voivod's drummer, Michel Langevin, has released an album of what he believes is krautrock with his project Kosmos.
Baggra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 16:49
Did you read what I JUST wrote?

This thread has to remain PURE.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 17:12

^

with this second instance of irreverence, I will certainly not post in this thread anymore.
Baggra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 17:27
Irreverence?
Your being irreverent.

I will not go so far as to say your trolling my thread (because maybe you yourself do not realize your OFF-SUBJECT.

I want EARLY examples.
Not Chrome and all that.
Baggra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:17
BOBBY BEAUSOLIEL & FREEDOM ORKESTRA - Lucifer Rising
ANGUS MACLISE -  wotsit....pagoda
ID
FRANCISCO - cosmic beam experience
ZENITH EFFLUVIUM
BEAT OF THE EARTH
PI CORP
STEVE BIRCHALL -  reality gates
NIC RAICEVIC
AIRWAY - live at Lace

Canada:
NIHILIST SPASM BAND - no record '68
SPOILS OF WAR

Edited by Baggra - January 04 2011 at 08:19
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:27

You consider that Bobby Beausoleil album Krautrock? Hmmm.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 09:10
Originally posted by Baggra Baggra wrote:

BOBBY BEAUSOLIEL & FREEDOM ORKESTRA - Lucifer Rising

This always comes up in a thread and as rules apply that we must not go off thread, no one in particular ever discusses "Lucifer Rising". I could probably get my answers by posting it on some occult website. Then I could converse with the "Satanic Panic" losers.

Edited by TODDLER - January 24 2011 at 05:37
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 15:14

David Borden's Mother Mallard

YA HO WHA 13

Edited by KABSA - January 12 2011 at 15:16
holy ghost View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 14:26
Not from the 80's but Emeralds could very will fill in for Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze and Earthless could very well fill in for Ash Ra Tempel....... but that's not what you asked for sooooooo I'll just stop here.......
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 14:35
Originally posted by Baggra Baggra wrote:

Irreverence?
Your being irreverent.

I will not go so far as to say your trolling my thread (because maybe you yourself do not realize your OFF-SUBJECT.

I want EARLY examples.
Not Chrome and all that.

ACHTUNG, KOMMISAR!! 

I can't really say that Kraut-rock was all that influential in the US music scene, except for a few space-rock wannabees and some industrial music pretenders.  Amon Duul II's "Wolf City" was about the most widely known KR in the Chicago area, but nobody was covering their music (except me!). 

It seems you are looking for bands influenced by Can, Neu etc.?  

Most US bands were influenced either by the hard rock/blues rock scene (Led Zep) or symphonic prog....guys like Starcastle ran with the Yes-influence.  
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 18:15
The no-wave scene seems like it was filled of influences from Krautrock, especially Neu!, Can, Faust and Ashra Tempel. If you listen to Glenn Branca's guitar symphonies, Sonic Youth's early experiemental post-punk or Swans' noise-rock, it all seems infested with Krautrock. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 21:24
Hi,

Out of these two threads on this subject, I went after a list of things ... and in 2 days I listened to at least 12 to 15 things ... and different bands, from their stuff on mp3's ... and I have to tell you that almost all of them were "copies" of the original, and did not excite me a whole lot.

It's very different when you are "there" and you know the time and place and people and you create something as an idea to illustrate that feeling ... San Francisco did that, New York did that, LA did that, London did that ... and so forth ... and the Munich/Berlin group also did that ...

In listening to all of the ones I did, there was one that stood out for me some, and I have to listen to it some more, but all in all, it was extremely formulaic, and not as good as it could be considering the source.

The source for the whole thing was based on not a single Anglo-Western Music concept or idea and design ... as a way to find an expression for the rock instruments that could be said to be inspired by Chuck Berry, or Bo Diddley, and yet sound absolutely nothing like them ... such is the case of Guru Guru! Or take Amon Duul 2 and elevate the sound of the early/raw San Francisco trips and make sure they go further and eventually tell a story (or sorts) in Dance of the Lemmings, coupled with something that is ... a "nothing" ... that has no lyrics or any sensical design ... (MM Soundtrack Church Memorial) ...

So far, I hear the inspiration and "idea" of the scene ... I do not hear anything that is any more than just a copy of the original, by studying it some and then making sure that we allow for this to extend and that to solo and what not ... it wasn't about the "solo" ... it was about the expression. By the time you sit down and break it all down, we're going to say that ... the guitar solo'd here from this to there, for 6 minutes and then this happened and then this, and that is easy to duplicate ... with one problem ... it's about nothing ... and the most important thing about all ... and I mean ALL ... of krautrock, is that above all else, it was not empty, and about nothing ... it had a third dimention and it is very strong, important and valuable, and IS the reason why we remember it.

And in my book, "Dark Clouds, No Rain" (Djam Karet) is a perfect example of what one can do in "krautrock" ... and not sound like "krautrock" and still be as trippy and far out, as any of them ... and it was done in 1990 or 1991 as an example. I think too many of these bands think they have to "tell people" what all this is about with some meandering words ... and you don't! ... you have to let the music LIVE and DIE on its own, or it's just a copy.

It differs a bit from In a Gadda Da Vida, for example, which would be an early styled influence for krautrock, though the musical elements in it (mostly drums and organ) were quite conventional ... but the combination and the build up made the illusion of a story of some kind ... LSD March is not an empty song and I can tell you the story while listening to it ... and while seeing it in Youtube makes it seem like it was just fun music and play (which is possible, no doubt about that!), in the end ... they did WITH instruments, what most had only done with some very cheesy lyrics, and that we came to clal "progressive", but in the end, were NOT.

I'll listen some more, but I have to tell you so far, that despite the cultural differences and various countries ( I am an equal opportunity listener!), in the end, I did not find a whole lot to cheer about ... that was any different, and that is bad ... very bad ... and just copykat ... and in the old days, you know what we used to say about people that played music like that? ... yeah ... they need to go get stoned!

Edited by moshkito - January 17 2011 at 21:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 08:50
a quick list [mainly 70`s stuff]
jack tamul
tonto`s expanding headband
joseph byrd [united states of america] etc [60`s?]
ruth white [60`s - 70`s]
wired [american (michael ranta) & canadian (mike lewis)] 1969 lp+ hans bottner with conny plank mixing
beaver&krauss [in a wild sanctuary]
cromagnon [orgasm]
earthstar [french skyline]
funkadelic [early stuff - 1st 4 albums]
lift
jasun martz [the pillory]
mother mallards portable masterpiece 
terry riley
don robertson
michael stearns
steve tibbetts
ya ho wa 13

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 19:42
Originally posted by KABSA KABSA wrote:

a quick list [mainly 70`s stuff]
jack tamul
tonto`s expanding headband
joseph byrd [united states of america] etc [60`s?]
ruth white [60`s - 70`s]
wired [american (michael ranta) & canadian (mike lewis)] 1969 lp+ hans bottner with conny plank mixing
beaver&krauss [in a wild sanctuary]
cromagnon [orgasm]
earthstar [french skyline]
funkadelic [early stuff - 1st 4 albums]
lift
jasun martz [the pillory]
mother mallards portable masterpiece 
terry riley
don robertson
michael stearns
steve tibbetts
ya ho wa 13

Had issues with the reply on this and had to redo it ...

I have Tonto's ... I am not sure that would fit as krautrock at all! It is more experimental in the rock area with electronics but at that time, there were hundreds of bands doing it, and everyone had an album out. Europe had a massive number of keyboard artists appear everywhere and some were very good ans some ... we all would agree are so so ... or copies. But some are very noteworthy, like Eberhard Schoerner, Robert Schroeder, Michael Hoenig, Peter Michael Hamel and others.

Both Beaver & Krause and Terry Riley belong in the story of electronic music and they pioneered the creativity and design of the synthesizer and the ability of using it as an instrument on its own and create different textures with which one could create some music ... unlike the kind of snobber that Walter/Wendy Carlos did later, which was fun, but hardly creative. Both of these explored the use of the sounds as if they were instruments to create sonic textures that made a synthesizer music.

My contention, in the likes of Tonto and even ELP, Rick Wakeman and such, was that they were using synthesizers as just another string instrument in the orchestration of their pieces and I felt that was a mistake and not what the original design of the synthesizer had been working on ... they were working on new sounds and a new instrument and instead ... they become a replacement for everything in the orchestra ... and that is a waste of an instrument! That's not to say that I didn't like the new interpretations, there were some magnificent things, but in the end, it rendered the synthesizer a cheap orchestra set of instruments that made everyone symphonic and cool all at the same time and they became "progressive" ... it was even said that the synthesizer died then as an instrument! It is no longer used as an instrument as everything about all synthesizers you can buy these days is about samples and their ability to add something different to the sample itself and mess with it.

And that was not the original design or intention to many of these folks experimenting with these instruments, and only Klaus Schulze has -- to this day -- never given up on the sonic tapestries of the synthesizer and in this sense he is the only true "synthesizer" composer available today.

Funkadelic ... I think that Maggot Brain died in the dust bin, on its 3rd copy ... playing that next to AD2, was indeed a treat ... and of course, some Frank Zappa right with it!

Jasun Martz I have to listen to again but am not impressed and was already a 2nd generation thing.

Micheal Sterns -- not sure that anything he did was really anywhere near "krautrock".

Steve Tibbetts ... have not heard enough to evaluate properly for you. I am trying to dig up some of his early work and some of his ECM stuff.

The others I have to chase down ... and get a few listens in.

I do have some other things from America's folks. For example there is a group named "Ram" that has a long cut on that album that is decidedly more "krautrock" but I have not checked the time and its release. Another group named "Touch" ... a lot of California stuff and I have to admit that I am not up on the NY stuff much other than Velvet Underground, which to me was not as impressive, though the individuals in it went on to a fabulous career specially John Cale ... and I'm not even sure that he is considered "progressive".

Edited by moshkito - January 24 2011 at 19:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 14:49
Well, the band "Birdsongs of the Mesozoic" has krautrock influences from time to time. One track is called "Terry Riley's House", that should give some hints...

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 17:55
[/QUOTE]

Had issues with the reply on this and had to redo it ...   [/QUOTE]

true i did include too much `electronic` in the list
very nice response and evaluationClap
Tall Tales of Topographic Inconsequence
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 18:34
Originally posted by KABSA KABSA wrote:

Had issues with the reply on this and had to redo it ... 
true i did include too much `electronic` in the list
very nice response and evaluationClap

The history of the synthesizer is magnificent ... the death of the synthesizer is when it became no longer an instrument in the orchestra or band, but a sampler. You don't need musicians anymore ... jsut take a synthesizer with you, and voila ... you can sell anything including a kitchen sink, but your name won't be Faust!

The advent of the birth and history of the synthesizer was massive for most rock music, and one of the major changes was people experimenting with its sounds, and the awesome use of the synthesizers in ELP's first album did help the "fame" of the synthesizers, but it also killed it as an exploration instrument that was "otherworldly" because what Keith did was actually very symphonic and classical music oriented, stretched a little bit (replace the synthesizer parts with violins in your head!), and voila ... you had a massively powerful album ... but in all reality, it could not be considered "progressive" as much as it should have been considered "inventive" and "creative".

The synthesizer since then, has continued with its "instrument" category, almost exclusively as a "classical composer" idea (of which Klaus Schulze would fit!), whereas all of the synthesizer use, since then, has almost all been strictly replacement for some orchestral parts, or instruments ... which to me is NOT progressive by itself at all! It can be very nice and beautiful, no doubt about it ... but in the end, just because it sounds different it becomes "progressive"? ... that would be scary.

Thus, you have the Riley, and Roach and Schulze and some others that are a lot more into the synthesizer as an "instrument" than a workstation or a daw ... and that is what is separating "serious" or "classical" music right now from the rest of pop bruhaha.

Edited by moshkito - January 26 2011 at 18:38
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>