Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDjam Karet Fan's Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 15:32

Originally posted by AnimalOrigin AnimalOrigin wrote:

Joined the forum just to join the Djam Karet fan club!  It's absurd how little mention this band gets.

I have listened obsessively to their first half dozen albums (through Ascension, I guess).  The songs on A Night for Baku didn't thrill me; very heavy in some parts for no clear reason, and increased synth use.  And they seemed to lose the plot with Recollection Harvest; the drama of their earlier songs was just missing.
Any die-hard fans who understand this feeling, and can comment on the later albums?

Welcome, AO! Nice to see your username is inspired by a great Djam Karet tune (from their '89 classic, Reflections from the Firepool).

Just to be clear, you don't like the heavier direction they went in, or the "increased synth use"? I love everything they've done. These guys never do the same album twice in a row. Check out The Trip (2013), which is one long aptly-titled excursion!

Track down the 2011 album recorded by two Djam Karet alumni, Chuck Oken (drums, synths, sequencing) and Mike Henderson (guitars, synths), called Dream Theory in the IE.  It's killer.

Djam Karet's last two albums — Regenerator 3017 and Sonic Celluloid — are great, too. These guys can do no wrong in my book.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 20:28
Originally posted by Siloportem Siloportem wrote:

I agree with you in the sense that it should be appreciated and enjoyed on its own. But when I'm very much into something (and I love that album) then I want to know anything about it. 

That's a problem ... the whole thing may have been put together off a sound and not necessarily have a story ... but sometimes we implicate/superimpose a story, so we feel more comfortable listening to it. I try not to do that because I know, from experience in writing, that the moments float and change every night and day, and then all you do is confuse yourself with an idea for a meaning ... where there might not be any, or it was simply a reaction that came alive ... on its own.

Artists, writers, musicians, are known to come up with something out of nothing. And sometimes, we, as the audience, have a tendency to add our own ideas to it.

It's best if we don't and you allow each and everyone of them to live on their own ... you end up enjoying the beauty of the inner spirit so much more, instead of attaching it up to an idea or two.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 19:30
Just noticed this. One of my favourite bands.i love their diversity. Every album is so different. First album I got into was The Heavy Soul Sessions and then it became a disease.Gayle explained the meaning behind the spoken words on the track "Consider Figure Three" kind of spooky.  Whole album is fantastic. Swamp of Dreams was phenomenal as well. I even reviewed it here a few months ago. Burning Hard The City and The Devouring are other favourites. They're all great. Not a dud in their whole catalogue. Some might be weird at first but that;'s what makes DK such a cool band. 
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 08:18
Hi guys. DK found new fans and this really make me happy . Now this post is active again. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 11:01
I was aware of them for a long time but they never really caught my ear. Perhaps in the early days I was actually more into heavier sounds. But the most recent album (2017) was definitely the right thing at the right time. Very mellow almost new agey sound. Very enjoyable. So I ended up catching up on some of their catalog. Not really a top 25 band, but someone that I will definitely be listening to a lot more in the future.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 07:48
"Sonic Celluloid " is one of best 2017 albums till now IMO. They never wait for anything and they do what they want to do.  I just a HUGE fan and I like most of their albums. 
They have a great career with some brilliant masterpieces . They are experienced musicians that work with different musical styles perfectly (IMO). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456