This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 15:15
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

And who doesn't love waterboarding?

You have single handedly made me rethink my position.

By the way, how much would any of you be willing to pay to see HW and son duke it out?   How about we throw in Bar?  The twins?   Those other Bush bros? LOL

How about we put them all in a mud pit dressed as little old ladies and fight it out with purses?

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 03 2011 at 15:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 15:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

And who doesn't love waterboarding?

You have single handedly made me rethink my position.

Singlehandedly, Slart?Shocked

Tongue LOL

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 18:08
^

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

But I fully enjoyed the benefits of the presidency of the other one. Also, for comedy purposes, nobody will ever beat the second one.

Never misunderestimate the power of comedy.
So, these benefits? Was one of them the ability to put food on your family?

Sadly, I think we might be in for another round of that.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/bl-sarah-palin-quotes.htm?PS=224%3A6

Edited by Tapfret - January 03 2011 at 18:10
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 19:30

So, these benefits? Was one of them the ability to put food on your family?

Come to think of it, I do remember W coming around and single-handedly putting food on my family.  Then again maybe it was just one of my bizarre dreams.  Back to this:

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 01:51
^^It seems sarcasm without emoticons doesn't really work after all... Or was it bad sarcasm? Could be could be.

Ok, to put it like for a five year old: "I don't have a proper opinion so I decided to write some sh*t".

The final part, though, was sarcasm-free. Saying that a person sucks because his ancestors sucked just, well, sucks.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 02:11

Sarah Palin is never going to be president. And, as much as I hate the woman, I am willing to defend her on a few of those. She obviously just misspoke when she was talking about our North Korean allies, she spent the whole sentence before talking about North Korea and she slipped, it's incredibly unimportant. While she bombed the Katie Couric interview, she was not "unable" to name any newspapers she read, she was pissed that Katie was asking what was (in her mind) an inane question.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 02:30
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Sarah Palin is never going to be president. And, as much as I hate the woman, I am willing to defend her on a few of those. She obviously just misspoke when she was talking about our North Korean allies, she spent the whole sentence before talking about North Korea and she slipped, it's incredibly unimportant. While she bombed the Katie Couric interview, she was not "unable" to name any newspapers she read, she was pissed that Katie was asking what was (in her mind) an inane question.

I'm not being pedantic here Henry as your post seems entirely reasonable but is misspoke a word?
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 03:36
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 04:31
I think the history books will record G W Bush as the president whose administration toppled the Taleban in Afghanistan and deposed Saddam Hussein. In the fullness of time, he will be heralded a hero, by mainstream historians. The details of the 'war on terror' and the cost to peoples liberties may be lost or at least distorted in the mists of time.

In a world that awards an incoming president the Nobel Peace Price, just for turning up in the morning and promising 'Hope 'n' Change' , you have to realise that literally anything is possible.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 04:49
don't  look at me I have nothing to do with that  Shocked Embarrassed, you should se how much security Oslo were under then you could nat fart without getting a gun pointed at you.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 06:14

^^It seems sarcasm without emoticons doesn't really work after all... Or was it bad sarcasm? Could be could be.

Ok, to put it like for a five year old: "I don't have a proper opinion so I decided to write some sh*t".

The final part, though, was sarcasm-free. Saying that a person sucks because his ancestors sucked just, well, sucks.

Okay now I'm confused.  Are you addressing me?  LOL
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 07:17
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Oxford thinks so. 

I stand corrected but I've never heard it before (it must be American in origin?)
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 07:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think the history books will record G W Bush as the president whose administration toppled the Taleban in Afghanistan and deposed Saddam Hussein. In the fullness of time, he will be heralded a hero, by mainstream historians. The details of the 'war on terror' and the cost to peoples liberties may be lost or at least distorted in the mists of time.

In a world that awards an incoming president the Nobel Peace Price, just for turning up in the morning and promising 'Hope 'n' Change' , you have to realise that literally anything is possible.

I agree with this. History looks favorably on Presidents that taken action, regardless of what that action is. War presidents become folklore heroes, and rights violations never appear as more than an easily justified footnote.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 07:41
The history books already show that GW didn't topple the Taliban, failed to get Bin Laden despite his dead or alive bluster, terrorized people for political advantage, squandered a surplus to put more money into the hands of the already wealthy....

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 07:43

The history books already show that GW didn't topple the Taliban, failed to get Bin Laden despite his dead or alive bluster, terrorized people for political advantage, squandered a surplus to put more money into the hands of the already wealthy....

What history book are you smoking?  Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:01

But, one hundred years from now, the historians may paint a very different picture. Bush could be portrayed broadly as someone who took a firm lead in dealing with the threat of Islamic extremism. They do say the victors of war write the history books. If indeed, America is the victor.

He did depose Saddam Hussein. The fact that this was done on the back of a pack of lies, will not stop the historians recording that this was such a significantly positive step in achieving world peace, that the 'nuances' of the situation were justified by the ends.

The Taleban is broadly not in power in Afghanistan anymore. They only have regional strongholds. Osama Bin Laden was only ever a red herring (not to mention formally a CIA asset) at the best of times. Bush just needed a crook to display on his 'Wanted' posters. America needed someone specific to blame for 9/11. A faceless rag tag band of militants hiding in caves, simply wasn't good enough.

Governments learn from their mistakes, in terms of how to manage the information their electorate sees. There are some very basic principles of psychology and sociology which govern how people behave in packs and as societies in times of crisis, in their search for leadership through the dark. It is quite possible that the Bush years will actually be recounted with some degree of warmth; once everyone who was actually alive while he was in office has died of old age...
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 08:53
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

H.W. was more honorable, and I use that word very reluctantly.  They are descendants from Nazi lovers.
http://www.rense.com/general42/bshnazi.htm

Bet one of your ancestors owned slaves.

In Late Antiquity / Early Middle-Ages, probably, but then I also probably have ancestors who were slaves, so I guess i'm even. Tongue
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 09:09

But, one hundred years from now, the historians may paint a very different picture. Bush could be portrayed broadly as someone who took a firm lead in dealing with the threat of Islamic exteirremism. They do say the victors of war write the history books. If indeed, America is the victor.

The ones responsible for the islamic extremism are the Americans, the English, the French and the Israelis, so fighting it is simply cleaning their own mess

He did depose Saddam Hussein. The fact that this was done on the back of a pack of lies, will not stop the historians recording that this was such a significantly positive step in achieving world peace, that the 'nuances' of the situation were justified by the ends.

Saddam was created due to English colonialism on the area. If they really did a good job on the independen Iraqi kingdom, instead of using it as a tool to their interests (i.e. getting cheap oil), Saddam would never be the Iraqi president/prime minister.

The Taleban is broadly not in power in Afghanistan anymore. They only have regional strongholds. Osama Bin Laden was only ever a red herring (not to mention formally a CIA asset) at the best of times. Bush just needed a crook to display on his 'Wanted' posters. America needed someone specific to blame for 9/11. A faceless rag tag band of militants hiding in caves, simply wasn't good enough.

The americans and the english were both responsible for the rise of the Taleban in Afghanistan. The former for weakening an independent and powerful regional kingdom only for the sake of expanding its colonial costal areas and the latter for not supporting the Afghan royal family and the Afghan republic when they needed AND for supporting the Taleban and other terrorist groups for the sake of fighting the decaying Soviet union.
Governments learn from their mistakes, in terms of how to manage the information their electorate sees. There are some very basic principles of psychology and sociology which govern how people behave in packs and as societies in times of crisis, in their search for leadership through the dark. It is quite possible that the Bush years will actually be recounted with some degree of warmth; once everyone who was actually alive while he was in office has died of old age...

I really doubt it.

Edited by CCVP - January 04 2011 at 09:12
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

But, one hundred years from now, the historians may paint a very different picture. Bush could be portrayed broadly as someone who took a firm lead in dealing with the threat of Islamic exteirremism. They do say the victors of war write the history books. If indeed, America is the victor.
The ones responsible for the islamic extremism are the Americans, the English, the French and the Israelis, so fighting it is simply cleaning their own mess
Quote He did depose Saddam Hussein. The fact that this was done on the back of a pack of lies, will not stop the historians recording that this was such a significantly positive step in achieving world peace, that the 'nuances' of the situation were justified by the ends.
Saddam was created due to English colonialism on the area. If they really did a good job on the independen Iraqi kingdom, instead of using it as a tool to their interests (i.e. getting cheap oil), Saddam would never be the Iraqi president/prime minister.
Quote The Taleban is broadly not in power in Afghanistan anymore. They only have regional strongholds. Osama Bin Laden was only ever a red herring (not to mention formally a CIA asset) at the best of times. Bush just needed a crook to display on his 'Wanted' posters. America needed someone specific to blame for 9/11. A faceless rag tag band of militants hiding in caves, simply wasn't good enough.
The americans and the english were both responsible for the rise of the Taleban in Afghanistan. The former for weakening an independent and powerful regional kingdom only for the sake of expanding its colonial costal areas and the latter for not supporting the Afghan royal family and the Afghan republic when they needed AND for supporting the Taleban and other terrorist groups for the sake of fighting the decaying Soviet union.
Quote Governments learn from their mistakes, in terms of how to manage the information their electorate sees. There are some very basic principles of psychology and sociology which govern how people behave in packs and as societies in times of crisis, in their search for leadership through the dark. It is quite possible that the Bush years will actually be recounted with some degree of warmth; once everyone who was actually alive while he was in office has died of old age...
I really doubt it.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say, and I know full well the history of the Taleban and the CIA trained Mujahadin that became Al Queada. Although all this information is in the public domain, it's never discussed openly in the mainstream, and for that reason these realities are unlikely to become part of the historical folklore of the 'war on terror'

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 09:32
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Okay now I'm confused.  Are you addressing me?  LOL
Oh no. I was addressing one two posts above mine where it was said that I preferred W because of the benefits of his presidency to me, askig if he actually put food on my table. I just commented on my first post. The second part though was straight. The guy who said we have to be hold accountable for what our ancestors did is actually, factually, slightly confused, to put it nicely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>