Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClouds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 05:54
just read an amazing review of new clouds cd on allmusic guide.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 12:11
Confused
What?
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:38
Yes, it asks the question "why wasn't this band huge"? Probably because Prog Archives didn't exist at the time.
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 09:28
They weren't huge because they weren't popular - simple as that.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 05:01
Originally posted by FunkyHomoSapien FunkyHomoSapien wrote:

That's not entirely fair - bad management played a part, and bad luck too. Read the story!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 06:59
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

That's not entirely fair - bad management played a part, and bad luck too. Read the story!
That's the nature of the business (of any business) - take Kaleidoscope (UK) for example - prominent in the UK pop-pscyhe scene in the late 60s, played (and composed the theme song) for the Isle of Wight Festival and were in the process of producing their Prog rock opus when it all went spectacularily wrong and the album get shelved for 20 years, or The Enid who had a massive cult following in the UK and played two Reading festivals just as Punk Rock exploded across the broadsheet rock press, sending them spiralling into obscurity. It happens, all we can do is support them now and sing their praises to any who would listen, there is little to be gained from regretting the failures of the past or dwelling upon them.
What?
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 05:13
This is true, a good point. I liked Kaleidoscope.
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 05:10
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

That's the nature of the business (of any business) - take Kaleidoscope (UK) for example - prominent in the UK pop-pscyhe scene in the late 60s, played (and composed the theme song) for the Isle of Wight Festival and were in the process of producing their Prog rock opus when it all went spectacularily wrong and the album get shelved for 20 years, or The Enid who had a massive cult following in the UK and played two Reading festivals just as Punk Rock exploded across the broadsheet rock press, sending them spiralling into obscurity. It happens, all we can do is support them now and sing their praises to any who would listen, there is little to be gained from regretting the failures of the past or dwelling upon them.
Deano got it right
dianneazuma54 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Spam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 00:05
What are clouds made off and how do clouds seem to maintain a certain shape in the sky?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 02:24
Originally posted by dianneazuma54 dianneazuma54 wrote:

What are clouds made off and how do clouds seem to maintain a certain shape in the sky?
Clouds are made of Spam.

You can go now.
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 02:36
I thought we weren't supposed to address spammers?    

Still made me chuckle though....

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 02:40
I made an exception. Some of his posts made me chuckle all by themselves.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 12:20
So Jon Anderson has finally gone public and admitted the influence of Clouds and how important they were to Yes, including the idea for recording 'America'. That's one in the eye for some of the Prog audience who seem to find it hard to accept that their heroes ideas weren't as original as they thought. But what's wrong with having an influence anyway? It doesn't take away the total achievement, only a degree of the originality - everyone has to start somewhere, I doubt that 1-2-3 made it all up by themselves. And anyway, the rest of us accepted this stuff long ago.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 13:39
It is very curious that Jon Anderson called them Clouds and not 1-2-3, which shifts the time-frame considerably.

The way 1-2-3 have been written into the history of Prog over the past 3 or 5 years by a cadre of three or four hard-core fans who do little else but edit Wikipedia and spam various Prog websites is highly suspicious, couple that with the very dubious "live" recording of America that was allegedly recorded at the Marquee club to an audience of hysterically screaming teenage fans, apparently played live before "Bookends" was even released, during a headline residency at the Marquee that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, and that the provenance for most of the citations and other corroborating evidence does seem to be rather self-referential, then it doesn't present itself as an immediatly compelling case.

Natural scepticism is not a result of not accepting that our "heroes ideas weren't as original as they thought" - heaven forfend we should think that they were given the wealth of talent and influence that was around in the mid-60s - but that the case for 1-2-3 being so pivotal looks to be very revisionist.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 14:52
Your comment may well be true about Prog archives itself, every band has fans who do that stuff! But there is a lot of information out there if you look for it that isn't fan-based at all. As for Wikipedia, fans can edit all they like, but Wiki editors are fierce on anything that doesn't stand up, so I don't buy that one either. Of course there is a lot out there that sounds (and sometimes is) anecdotal, but that's also true of any band's version of its history. You also miss the point about the recording. It's not important if it's the Marquee or not, for it's indisputable that it was way ahead of Yes and anyone else, as Jon confirms. And why would he say the band was "very important" if it wasn't? When the band changed name (and style/approach) to Clouds, the 1-2-3 material wasn't used other than a drum solo number - it doesn't change the timeframe 'considerably' in any case, late 67 early 68 at most. You're also wrong about the Marquee residency, it's well documented, and shown in the Marquee programs of March and May 1967 that the band went straight into a headlining residency without any support spot - unheard of prior to that. You should also read the Marquee program notes on the kind of music 1-2-3 was playing at the time. 

Natural scepticism is healthy, I'm all for it, but there is a definite tendency in prog circles to want to deny the sequence of events. That's not impartiality as I understand it Jim. Strangely enough, I'm not a diehard fan of "Clouds" - I lost interest in them when they morphed into just another proggish band - but hey, this is all wrong, 1-2-3 was definitely the precursor of many of the first wave groups of Prog, and my admiration of Jon Anderson is increased by his humility in saying so, albeit so late in the day. 

From what I know of Prog archives - fine as it is in many ways - I don't see any change in this attitude no matter what evidence emerges, the Proggies and the Cloudites are coming from opposite directions and never the twain shall meet. Unsatisfactory, but there we have it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 16:49
Sl*g off Prog Archives all you like it doesn't bother me any, we have as many differing opinions here as we have members - we are a review site, not a Prog rock encyclopedia or historical reference.

I actually have no hard opinion either way - if Yes copied 1-2-3 on a cover song then so be it, bands in a "scene" feed off each other all the time and nothing forms in isolation. I'm not a fan of Yes, Emerson or King Crimson so knocking them off their plinth does not bother me. But the picture being painted, (mainly across Wikipedia by one or two editors all indirectly referencing a single source), is that 1-2-3 influenced everyone of "importance" who may or may not have frequented the Marquee in 1967/8, including Yes, Wakeman, Emerson and Crimson. Yet this "influence" remained an obscure and unknown secret for over twenty years, then went silent for another twenty years until this "lost recording" resurfaced recently. That I find hard to believe (and a just little too convenient). I'm not at all certain that Wakeman even heard 1-2-3, even with his well documented Bowie connection (which should be far stronger case than any claim that he may or may not have heard them at the Marquee as the wiki-page implies), but the Yes arrangement of America was by Kaye, not Wakeman.

I miss no point about the recording - "where" the recording of America was made is important as it has absolutely no provenance other than the claim it was recorded at the Marquee in1968. That point is key and just by listening you have no way of telling when it was recorded: it could have been recorded 45 years ago or 45 minutes ago, but what I can say is it does not sound like any other Marquee recording of that time - the resonance/ambiance is wrong for a venue of that size, the mix and balance is wrong for a live mix and the audience reaction is completely wrong. There is no way on this earth that it is a recording of an audience at the Marquee, nor does it sound like were they recorded at the same location as the music - it sounds like it is from a much larger venue reacting to a completely different type of Pop music that was tacked on to the 1-2-3 recording after the event. Further more, given the reaction of the audience to that one song (if it really is the pukka 1-2-3/Marquee audience) then it is incredibly odd that there are not other recorded tracks from that gig - anyone setting-up the recording equipment to record each instrument so perfectly that garnered such an ecstatic audience reaction would have recorded more than one song - it is inconceivable that other songs weren't also recorded. This isn't a bootleg recording made by an audience member using a portable ¼" tape-recorder and a hand-held dynamic microphone (that's the best the technology of 1968 could offer) - it's a professional recording which would have had to been made using (expensive and bulky) professional mobile recording set-up.

Once there is doubt about the location of the recording you instantly raise doubt about when it was recorded. If it seems like the audience is fake and the music recording quality does not match the venue or the time-period then any confidence in the whole of the recording being "real" rapidly evaporates.

It may very well be a replication of what 1-2-3 used to perform in the Marquee in 1968, but I am not convinced at all that it is an actual recording from that place or time. 

That is extremely unsatisfactory no matter how you look at it.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 17:02
I refer My Honorable Friend to the reply I gave some moments ago. 

PS I would never 'sl*g off Prog Archives. I enjoy the site and it has many fine qualities and contributions to make. The site itself cannot be held responsible for every aspect of deficiencies in reporting or commenting by members.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 17:34
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

I refer My Honorable Friend to the reply I gave some moments ago. 
Confused 

PS I would never 'sl*g off Prog Archives. I enjoy the site and it has many fine qualities and contributions to make. The site itself cannot be held responsible for every aspect of deficiencies in reporting or commenting by members.
The only person here questioning any of this is me, yet you have managed to construe this as everyone:
  • "That's one in the eye for some of the Prog audience who seem to find it hard to accept that their heroes ideas weren't as original as they thought"
  • "the rest of us accepted this stuff long ago."
  • "Your comment may well be true about Prog archives itself, every band has fans who do that stuff! "
  • "but there is a definite tendency in prog circles to want to deny the sequence of events"
  • "From what I know of Prog archives ... I don't see any change in this attitude no matter what evidence emerges, the Proggies and the Cloudites are coming from opposite directions and never the twain shall meet."
  • "Unsatisfactory, but there we have it."
  • "...every aspect of deficiencies in reporting or commenting by members"
I like puzzles so the puzzling nature of this apparent revision of Prog history piques my curiocity and thus interests me. There are too many parts of the puzzle that just do not sit right and your replies are only adding to that. Odd as it may seem but if the Marquee recording had never surfaced I'd be a lot less interested, it would just be one of those curious facts that we simply accept and move on, like Deep Purple coping It's A Beautiful Day's "Bombay Calling" on "Child In Time" (both of whom ripped-off Ravel btw).

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 03:05
Here am I trying to be magnanimous and hoping to leave the argument to both extremes (in both senses of the word) yet probably through my own fault in sticking my nose in, I find I'm having to defend myself from the centre. The only thing I know for sure is that 1-2-3 were playing that style of music in 1967. [For one interesting strand, I suggest you read the earlier comments in this thread by Malreaux, who was obviously there at the time]. 

I tried to walk away from this 'discussion', for it's tiresome to have to go through it all, and to no good purpose, for as I said, I doubt that the two extremes, you representing one side, and the Cloudites (I don't include myself as one of them), representing the other, can be brought together. I thought my last comment would close the subject from my point of view, but I seem to have touched a raw nerve, which would tend to confirm the points I made. 

Perhaps as prog archives is your baby, you take it all personally, as if everything said is directed somehow against you. My comments were certainly not directed at you alone or at all - I've seen plenty of those comments, which seemed to me  ironic, considering that if the influence of 1-2-3 was so crucial (as most historians agree - check it out!), then prog archives itself owes the band a lot. Now there's a thought, probably not one you like. 

It's noticeable that your negative comments about the Marquee residency (in 1967!) have conveniently disappeared because simple checking would totally revoke what you said. Instead, you continue to focus on  the provenance of the tape, when the recording itself isn't the point, it's the fact that the band was playing that way prior to the existence of Yes, The Nice, King Crimson etc. It's always been said that other recordings of that concert did exist, but were lost over the years, hardly surprising given the time factor. Even studio recordings of much more famous bands have gone missing from record company archives, never mind myriad house moves etc. Even if the recording never existed, the fact that the band played that way when they did is the crucial factor. And whatever the recording is or isn't, it's definitely the three musicians who played in that band, and now you have Jon Anderson confirming the band was an important influence, as was that particular arrangement. 

For you, it doesn't sit right. Yet I am looking at the same information as you are, we are just both drawing different conclusions from it. 

The fact is, it's not a revision of Prog history - it is Prog history. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 05:59

Here am I trying to be magnanimous and hoping to leave the argument to both extremes (in both senses of the word) yet probably through my own fault in sticking my nose in, I find I'm having to defend myself from the centre. The only thing I know for sure is that 1-2-3 were playing that style of music in 1967. [For one interesting strand, I suggest you read the earlier comments in this thread by Malreaux, who was obviously there at the time].

I tried to walk away from this 'discussion', for it's tiresome to have to go through it all, and to no good purpose, for as I said, I doubt that the two extremes, you representing one side, and the Cloudites (I don't include myself as one of them), representing the other, can be brought together. I thought my last comment would close the subject from my point of view, but I seem to have touched a raw nerve, which would tend to confirm the points I made.

Perhaps as prog archives is your baby, you take it all personally, as if everything said is directed somehow against you. My comments were certainly not directed at you alone or at all - I've seen plenty of those comments, which seemed to me  ironic, considering that if the influence of 1-2-3 was so crucial (as most historians agree - check it out!), then prog archives itself owes the band a lot. Now there's a thought, probably not one you like.
Nope - the point I was making was not that your comments were directed at me, but at the whole Prog community (including artists), yet I am the only person who is currently questioning any of this here.

There is no raw nerver to touch - if I had such a thing it would be in regard to Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, VdGG, Kaleidoscope, The Move, The Moody Blues, Procol Harum and many of the other late 60s bands who were pivotal in the history/development of Progressive Rock.

I do not doubt that 1-2-3 have a place in that history, but it was not as influential as is being made out (certainly not "crucial").

It's noticeable that your negative comments about the Marquee residency (in 1967!) have conveniently disappeared because simple checking would totally revoke what you said. Instead, you continue to focus on  the provenance of the tape, when the recording itself isn't the point, it's the fact that the band was playing that way prior to the existence of Yes, The Nice, King Crimson etc. It's always been said that other recordings of that concert did exist, but were lost over the years, hardly surprising given the time factor. Even studio recordings of much more famous bands have gone missing from record company archives, never mind myriad house moves etc. Even if the recording never existed, the fact that the band played that way when they did is the crucial factor. And whatever the recording is or isn't, it's definitely the three musicians who played in that band, and now you have Jon Anderson confirming the band was an important influence, as was that particular arrangement.

For you, it doesn't sit right. Yet I am looking at the same information as you are, we are just both drawing different conclusions from it.

The fact is, it's not a revision of Prog history - it is Prog history.

My (alledged) negative comments on the 1967 residency were not made in this thread and they haven't "conveniently disappeared" - they can be found here. What I said was: "I also don't doubt that they had gigs at the Marquee in 1967 even if they do not show in the Marquee gig list. However if they had a residency (which they do claim) then it would be mentioned on the Marquee website. (see the Marquee timeline)". The time-line page is the only place where residencies are listed and 1-2-3 are not shown as having a residency in 1967:

Quote Resident artists:
Monday: The Herd, Neat Change, Syn, Arthur Brown, the Nice
Tuesday: Tony Rivers and the Castaways, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
Wednesday: Al Stewart, the New Songs, Picadilly Line, Ten Years After,
Thursday: Marmalade, Neat Change
Friday: Sands, Timebox, The Long John Baldry Show, Terry Reid, Ten Years After
Saturday: Neat Change, Syn, the Tribe, the Dream

I have since seen the full(ish) 1967 Marquee gig list - this does not revoke what I said back in 2007 and see no reason to retract it now, (also I not do I regard what I said there as being negative), resident bands at that time tended to play more than 5 gigs in a year, as demonstrated by Clouds' 18 gigs in 1969 (when the Marquee site acknowledges that they did have a residency) and for 1967 Resident acts: the Syn's 26; the Herd's 18; Neat Change's 26; Timebox's 21; Picadilly Line's 11; TYA's 13... There is a difference between Headline and Residency.
In the six years since I questioned the provenance of the America (Marquee April 1967) recording its importance has been played-down by 1-2-3/Clouds supporters, which is curious in itself - this should be one of the most important recordings in the history of Progressive Rock.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>