Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBesides Prog, What's Your Favorite Genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Besides Prog, What's Your Favorite Genre?
    Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:31
MEP's post about how to say "genre" got me wondering what you guys listen to when its not Prog?

Prog is my favorite genre of all types of music, but I do enjoy reaching for eveything from Suicidal Tendencies to Karlheinze Stockhausen.   

And I won't say SpaceRock or some sub-genre (sub-sub genre?) of Prog.

So, when I'm not playing Prog I probably reach for indie.alternative type music the most (from older Huseker Du/Replacements to newer Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Decemberists)  and after that probably "Classic Rock."  But I say that in the most positive way possible.  Classic Rock radio playing the same (great) songs over and over I find very stuck in the mud.  But many of those same bands' other songs are still fresh to my ears AND some of them are still putting out great music (Neil Young, Springsteen, Allman Bros)

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:40
I'm torn between heavy metal and jazz, but considering only the ammount of albums I have my answer is heavy metal.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:47
prog isn't a genre of music
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:48
20th century concert music and pop are the bests.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Tursake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:48
Mmm, I consider almost all the music I listen to be prog rock. So... Uhh... Well, I'll say heavy metal.

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:50
Meh. Prog is sort of overwhelming in my ratios, but I try to listen to some Jazz (as in, non "fusion" jazz), rock, metal and trying to get into classical. Also, some electronic music - mainly chiptune. Some nice pieces in that genre. 
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:54
CCVP I love an answer like that.  Metal and Jazz!    Diversity really is the spice of life.   And I really believe the ability to accept other forms of music as valid helps keep your mind open.  Thats why I've always had a bit of a problem with Wynton Marsellis  (sp?) because he thinks Jazz is simply "better" than Rock.  No argument.
JonteJH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:55
Waaaaaaaaait, there is another genre than prog?...... LOL

http://www.lastfm.se/user/JonteJH
http://soundcloud.com/jontejh
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 18:56
Indie, Jam, Metal, Rock, Other

Edited by Eärendil - January 15 2011 at 19:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 19:02
Ha, thats why I sort of referred to SpaceRock as a sub-sub-genre, because I knew someone would chime in on this "technicality".   Yes, Blues is a genre.  Jazz is a genre.   Rock is a genre, so Prog I suppose is a "sub-genre".   Of course now I'm waiting for those that will say:

1.  Prog Rock advanced enough to call it its own genre
2.  The various styles in Prog are too diverse and different to even call it a genre
3 and then my favorite, "why do you have to label it, its all "music" to me"

I really hope the conversation doesn't go this direction.  Lets just say, what music do you listen to that you won't find commonly referenced on PA?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 19:03
ClapLOL
Ixirn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 19:07
I guess it depends on if you're talking about prog as a very specific genre or everything with some degree of prog elements, as in everything that is listed on the site. If we use the broader definition I mainly besides prog listen to heavy metal and hip hop, with some trips into the lands of jazz and alternative country (Slim Cessna's Auto Club rocks!).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 19:13
"Meh. Prog is sort of overwhelming in my ratios, but I try to listen to some Jazz (as in, non "fusion" jazz), rock, metal and trying to get into classical. Also, some electronic music - mainly chiptune. Some nice pieces in that genre.  "

<Man, I'm clearly PA challenged, and after 100 posts still can't quote/copy/reply properly. >

ANyway, its cool to see three people now mention jazz and metal.   I used to hang out on a AOL jazz site and "metal" was list spit to so many of them.   It was not music to their ears.  Maybe its just me, but I think Prog lovers in general have the most open ears to different types of musics.  I have a lot of theories on that, but will leave that to another thread (oh no sorry)

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 19:18
Originally posted by akajazzman akajazzman wrote:

CCVP I love an answer like that.  Metal and Jazz!    Diversity really is the spice of life.   And I really believe the ability to accept other forms of music as valid helps keep your mind open.  Thats why I've always had a bit of a problem with Wynton Marsellis  (sp?) because he thinks Jazz is simply "better" than Rock.  No argument.

Quite true. I've always liked many distinc genres of music. My oldest love is blues, because my father simply loves it, and then classical music, because I studied it through most of my life (and I like really most kind of classical around, from medieval music (mostly Gregorian Chant, though) up to Romantic), and it helps a lot having a family member in the state orchestra, so I get free tickets to all of their presentations and concerts (Big smile). My main love is, however, progressive rock, with heavy metal (which I started listening in my teens) and jazz (which I started listening fairly recently) right behind it.

Edited by CCVP - January 15 2011 at 19:21
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 19:26
New wave, 80's synthpop, old 'electro'.

Celtic, folk, folk rock. And many folk musics from around the world.

Jazz. Mostly Gypsy Swing and Italian jazz.

'Contemporary' 'classical' and 'avangarde' music. Reich, Stockhausen, etc.

Good 'classic rock':
Raw garage rock and hard rock, from MC5 to Motorhead to Wolfmother.
Glam rock.
Some country rock (still discovering). West Coast rock. Urban NY rock of late 70's.

Classical, occasionally.

French chanson and Italian canzona.

And my favourite: psychedelic rock & pop 66-72 period, both American and British.

KyleSchmidlin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 20:08
Folks, blues and jazz, from whence prog came.  But also non-progressive rock and older stuff.  Mountain is one of my favorite bands.  So is Ween.  Big gap between those two but that's OK.  Ritchie Havens is one of my favorite singers, I enjoy him from time to time.  Warren Zevon.  I guess mainly singer-songwriter stuff, and also jazz.  I like Lee Morgan a lot, and Duke Ellington.  Generally I like either really old jazz or 60s hard bop.  I started out liking metal but I couldn't care less for it now, just certain kinds and in small doses.

Basically I'll give anything a chance, and the only music in which I can't find a single redeeming quality is modern "indie pop" and "indie rock", which they ought to just rename "whiny, soulless, adult-contemporary noise".
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 21:47
No idea. Confused

I guess I don't have a favorite genre/sub-genre. I consider myself to be an eclectic listener.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 21:54
Besides prog, my favourite is classical music, and then hard rock and heavy metal
Fyrus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 21:55
I'm a big fan of grunge. And not Nirvana.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, the usuals. 

I consider Temple of the Dog one of the best albums I've ever heard from any genre.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 22:04
I wouldn't like to call one genre my favourite because I really identify more with great artists and it is not the genre by itself that bestows greatness on them but their brilliance.  That said,  I would say jazz is my favourite genre (though calling it a genre as opposed to a form sounds dubious) because I relate to its approach more than other forms/genres.  I cannot really call prog a genre per se because it is more of an approach to songwriting and not an approach that's universally evidenced in all the music that gets called prog either.  I love some of the great rock bands but rock in its basic form is rudimentary, predictable and boring music so I can't call rock a favourite genre of mine though I like a lot of rock music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>