Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis vs Renaissance
    Posted: January 21 2011 at 19:33

I have heard alot of Genesis

I have heard close to nothing on Renaissance

but both bands are prog pioneers and two very important bands in prog and popular music,

both are symphonic prog rock as far as I know,

folk influence might also be an element (i know it is on Genesis, have no clue regarding Renaissance)

this is also a partly recomandation/awakening poll for me to get an interest for the Renaissances music, can it stand up against the mighty Genesis,

or will this be close to an Apocalypse Evil Smile 

Edited by aginor - January 21 2011 at 19:34
Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 19:49
Both are good but Genesis is the winner here! =)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 19:54
Hi,

Renaissance.

In the end, the body of work deserves more respect and attention than a lot of Genesis' music specially when they went pop and I was no longer interested. I carried Genesis until "Trick of the Tail" and the rest ... not important or needed. And I can tell you I have a lot more Renaissance albums and that Annie's voice is a lot prettier than Phil's ever was, not to mention that the lyricism and work done by Renaissance was much better written and defined and had more than one world known poetess writing for them!

Sorry ... Genesis comes off as just pop music by comparison!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 22:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Renaissance.

In the end, the body of work deserves more respect and attention than a lot of Genesis' music specially when they went pop and I was no longer interested. I carried Genesis until "Trick of the Tail" and the rest ... not important or needed. And I can tell you I have a lot more Renaissance albums and that Annie's voice is a lot prettier than Phil's ever was, not to mention that the lyricism and work done by Renaissance was much better written and defined and had more than one world known poetess writing for them!

Sorry ... Genesis comes off as just pop music by comparison!

My, my, you do sound like the prog equivalent of a tr00 old Metallica fan.Wink  I don't think there are very many people on this forum who admire Annie Haslam's singing more than me but sorry, Genesis, easily.  Not the sum total of Renaissance's prog albums can amount to the sheer brilliance of Lamb or Foxtrot or SEBTP in their individual capacities.   Renaissance were solid and tasteful and, especially live, propped up in no small measure by Annie's talents, Genesis at their best shimmered with brilliance and genius.

But since aginor wanted Renaissance recommendations, I will answer to that.  If you'd like to start off with their more ambitious side, I'd suggest Novella or Scheherazade and other Stories. Also, Song for All Seasons, where they began to go pop (ermmmm, Timeline, mr.moshkito!) but the two long tracks should still satiate symph prog fans.  Ashes are Burning and Turn of the Cards are more accessible and easier to get into but there's the possibility you might write it off as too lightweight for classic prog. Novella will call for a lot more application but is eventually more rewarding.  Should you like the singing, I'd then recommend investigating their live stuff more because that's where Annie's talents are in greater evidence.  A primer:

The arrangements have been rejigged - badly! - for the 80s but the singing should not be passed over. This is what the song - Ashes Are Burning -sounded like on the original 70s studio album:

I know a little bit of your tastes - you like somewhat glossy, polished pop, am I right?  You might then like both these songs:

Edited by rogerthat - January 21 2011 at 22:24
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 22:23
Certainly Renaissance is an excellent band, but they don't compare to Genesis.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 22:54
I've only heard one live album by Rennaisance, and many other albums from Genesis. Needless to say, I enjoy both bands a lot. I would like to vote for Renaissance here, but I think one live album is not enough to do so, I don't really know if there are enough songs of the same quality to make them bigger than Genesis for me. However, getting more Renaissance albums is one of my prog priorities at the moment.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 00:25
Renaissance.  The first album of theirs I got was Live at Carnegie Hall.  It served as a good introduction to several phases of the band's music in the 70s.  But really, anything from Prologue to Azure D'Or will give you a taste of their sound.  Many might be surprised at my mentioning the latter album, but I think it maintains much of the classic Renaissance sound even though the songs are trimmed down both in terms of length and orchestration.  I will take Annie Haslam's voice over just about anybody's, including Gabriel and Collins.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 02:17
Renaissance!Nice folk band!I like more Genesis but sometimes are technical.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 02:21
I've been on a bit of a Renaissancve buzz recently, they're such good song writers and more proggy than I had expected, but Genesis still wins easily for me. Turn of the Cards and Ashes are Burning is where I'd start with their music.
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 04:11
I voted both (because you offered it). I like Genesis a bit more, but Renaissance is definitely in my top ten of favourite bands. If you are new to Renaissance, try Live at Carnegie Hall . Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 04:36
Just go and listen to Renaissance, if you are a Genesis fan you will probably like them but there's no need to compare them to make a judgement.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 04:38
Both, but I prefer Genesis. Nevertheless, Turn of the Cards is a great album.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 05:01
Genesis easily when thinking of Gabriel era masterpieces. But after Gabriel their material was so weak, mostly embarrasing pop songs (though few decent prog song I admit), that IŽd prefer Renaissance.

Voted Genesis just because of Trespass > >> > Lamb masterpieces.

From Renaissance I recommend Prologue, Turn Of The Cards and Scheherazade. Fantastic albums!

Edited by akaBona - January 22 2011 at 05:04
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 05:27
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

Genesis easily when thinking of Gabriel era masterpieces. But after Gabriel their material was so weak, mostly embarrasing pop songs (though few decent prog song I admit), that IŽd prefer Renaissance.

From Renaissance I recommend Prologue, Turn Of The Cards and Scheherazade. Fantastic albums!

This is not directed to you particularly but I just want to generally ask do you folks like Ren's pop albums? Shocked
As much as I dislike pop Genesis, Timeline really 'takes the cake', unrelentingly third rate with Annie sounding uncomfortable and out of character. Camera Camera is not much better. Azure D' Or wasn't too bad and without the dry production values, would be a little better regarded. 
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 05:39
i just love both bands, but it seems i get back more often to renaissance these daysWink
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 05:39
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Just go and listen to Renaissance, if you are a Genesis fan you will probably like them but there's no need to compare them to make a judgement.
this , by all means ! start with ashes , turn & prologue !    
Tracking Tracks of Rock
BlindGuard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 06:50
Both!
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 06:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

This is not directed to you particularly but I just want to generally ask do you folks like Ren's pop albums? Shocked
As much as I dislike pop Genesis, Timeline really 'takes the cake', unrelentingly third rate with Annie sounding uncomfortable and out of character. Camera Camera is not much better. Azure D' Or wasn't too bad and without the dry production values, would be a little better regarded. 

Ren's pop albums don't belong to my collection. Actually there is lots of late Ren material I have not heard, only some extracts from their last 5-6 albums. The main Renaissance albums were recorded in 70's, same thing with Genesis and for example with Yes.

Actually this was a good reminder to listen some Renaissance again.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 07:15

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ren's pop albums don't belong to my collection. Actually there is lots of late Ren material I have not heard, only some extracts from their last 5-6 albums. The main Renaissance albums were recorded in 70's, same thing with Genesis and for example with Yes.

Actually this was a good reminder to listen some Renaissance again.

Yes, you'd be well advised to stay far away from their later material but everything up to Song for All Seasons is essential for a Renaissance fan.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:23
Genesis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>