16 [13.79%]
29 [25.00%]
1 [0.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 16:48
I prefer Renaissance because of the folkiness and because Annie Haslam is an angel (Gabriel and Collins do not sound like angels).
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 19:01
Genesis
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 18:23
Genesis. They were awesoming BIG TIME '69-'73 with four-five albums while Renaissance were awesoming a time not as big '73-'75 with only two-three albums.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 20:31
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

Certainly Renaissance is an excellent band, but they don't compare to Genesis.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 20:40
Genesis because duh
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 21:24
^ ... Because du-u-u-u-uh?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 02:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Renaissance.

In the end, the body of work deserves more respect and attention than a lot of Genesis' music specially when they went pop and I was no longer interested. I carried Genesis until "Trick of the Tail" and the rest ... not important or needed. And I can tell you I have a lot more Renaissance albums and that Annie's voice is a lot prettier than Phil's ever was, not to mention that the lyricism and work done by Renaissance was much better written and defined and had more than one world known poetess writing for them!

Sorry ... Genesis comes off as just pop music by comparison!

Sorry but I think you have lost the plot with this oneStern Smile

A bit like comparing a bicycle with a Harley. Sure opinions rule but whew.....not even close. Glad you like Camera Camera and think it is better than MamaShocked
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 03:44
both for sure
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 08:37
Renaissance for me.  Everything pretty much from Prologue to A Song for all Seasons was very strong.  Genesis connected with me here and there in a very big way, like Musical Box, Entangled, Lamia, Cinema Show, but Renaissance reached my spirit consistently. Re their pop albums, I am not going to argue for Azure D'Or, IMO their worst album before the long breakup, or Time Line, but I do think Camera Camera is pretty good, with at least 2 songs that totally measure up to earlier material - "Okichi San" and "Ukraine Ways", a credible follow up to "Northern Lights" in "Bonjour Swansong", and several decent new age meets prog attempts in the title cut and "Tyrant Tula".  At least they kept their melodic sense, whereas the GENESIS of 80s and beyond were mostly about Phil Collins incessant pounding as far as I could tell.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 09:46
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Renaissance.  The first album of theirs I got was Live at Carnegie Hall.  It served as a good introduction to several phases of the band's music in the 70s.  But really, anything from Prologue to Azure D'Or will give you a taste of their sound.  Many might be surprised at my mentioning the latter album, but I think it maintains much of the classic Renaissance sound even though the songs are trimmed down both in terms of length and orchestration.  I will take Annie Haslam's voice over just about anybody's, including Gabriel and Collins.

Azure D'Or is the only album I have by Renaissance. Didn't encourage me to go farther although I do love Annie's voice. 

You choice of "Azure D'Or" could only have been better at representing the Renaissance sound had you chosen "Camera, Camera" to listen to first. All the albums from "Ashes are Burning" to "Song for all Seasons" are worth a listen. Renaissance are a great band but still not in the class of Genesis (no disrespect to Renaissance).

Actually, see my post above.  Your choice of Azure D'Or is the worst possible.  It is a sham of their symphonic career.  At least if you had bought "Time Line" you would have known that this couldn't possibly be representative.  Please try "Turn of the Cards" and move backwards then forwards from there.

Don't forget that Renaissance started as a completely different group and that their self titled debut is highly regarded.  In 1977 the original group reformed as Illusion and released 2 excellent albums - "Out of the MIst" and "Illusion".  Jane Relf is the main singer and, while not Annie, she is easily more angelic than Peter of Phil, and those albums are very competitive with what Genesis was doing then.  So, while Renaissance will never win this poll, they do have Genesis ambushed thanks to two viable (artistically if not commercially) incarnations going at once.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 09:51
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Renaissance for me.  Everything pretty much from Prologue to A Song for all Seasons was very strong.  Genesis connected with me here and there in a very big way, like Musical Box, Entangled, Lamia, Cinema Show, but Renaissance reached my spirit consistently. Re their pop albums, I am not going to argue for Azure D'Or, IMO their worst album before the long breakup, or Time Line, but I do think Camera Camera is pretty good, with at least 2 songs that totally measure up to earlier material - "Okichi San" and "Ukraine Ways", a credible follow up to "Northern Lights" in "Bonjour Swansong", and several decent new age meets prog attempts in the title cut and "Tyrant Tula".  At least they kept their melodic sense, whereas the GENESIS of 80s and beyond were mostly about Phil Collins incessant pounding as far as I could tell.

I guess the s/t Genesis album has a few decent or even good songs.   That's All and, to an extent, Home by the Sea could have been on one of their 70s albums and while Job to do is very much of its time, it's effective while it lasts.   Don't care much for the subsequent albums 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 09:59
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I guess the s/t Genesis album has a few decent or even good songs.   That's All and, to an extent, Home by the Sea could have been on one of their 70s albums and while Job to do is very much of its time, it's effective while it lasts.   Don't care much for the subsequent albums 

There were a few good pop numbers in there, spread out over quite a few albums.  Agreed about Home by the Sea
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 10:13
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

both for sure

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 11:33
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Renaissance.

In the end, the body of work deserves more respect and attention than a lot of Genesis' music specially when they went pop and I was no longer interested. I carried Genesis until "Trick of the Tail" and the rest ... not important or needed. And I can tell you I have a lot more Renaissance albums and that Annie's voice is a lot prettier than Phil's ever was, not to mention that the lyricism and work done by Renaissance was much better written and defined and had more than one world known poetess writing for them!

Sorry ... Genesis comes off as just pop music by comparison!

Sorry but I think you have lost the plot with this oneStern Smile

A bit like comparing a bicycle with a Harley. Sure opinions rule but whew.....not even close. Glad you like Camera Camera and think it is better than MamaShocked

Yeah, Pedro, why compare two bands just by looking at the poppy side of things?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 16 2013 at 22:01
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 17:54

indeed - both you and I put up 4 star reviews for Camera Camera - Camp's bass playing is outstanding !!  Annie is still amazing.  Sad, sad news about Mr Dunford Cry.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 15:46
I might add that there is no Genesis album that I like so much as a whole as "Turn of the Cards". I might even add "Ashes are Burning" and "Scheherazade"... I found those two a tiny bit weaker than Turn of the Cards, but still great. The thing with Genesis is that they always had some song I really dislike in their albums. But of course, they have such great songs on every album that it is forgiven.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 05:44
both were very important bands in my oppinion, for different reasons.
So I vote for both...
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 10:03
Renaissance released a raft of brilliant albums from their debut (with the Keith Relf/John Hawken line up) up to .......well, probably Azure D'Or was the last good one. Genesis were brilliant from Trespass to Selling England, very good from The Lamb to Wind & Wuthering, then forgettable afterwards (unless you like sophisticated commercial pop music).
So both for me; both have enough gems in their discography to merit high praise, but they're not remotely similar.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:36
I like Renaissance but they are up against the Mighty Genesis, so no contest.Genesis
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:09
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Genesis. They were awesoming BIG TIME '69-'73 with four-five albums while Renaissance were awesoming a time not as big '73-'75 with only two-three albums.
Ah ... why should it even be about the math? I like both. Maybe not equally, but I like them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>