Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPestilence "Spheres" (1993)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pestilence "Spheres" (1993)
    Posted: January 21 2011 at 20:55
Now I may be slightly biased because of my love for metal in general, but this album strikes me as an absolute gem. A lot of people have mixed feelings about the sound, and I can easily see where they are coming from. It seems that everything that people I hate about this album I love, I feel like I have a connection with this record. Many lump it in with jazz fusion mixed metal, but I feel there is a more progressive edge to it.

I find myself returning to this album even more so than Cynic's "Focus"; I feel like the use of guitar synth is slightly more interesting (if not only to satisfy my love for experimentation without fear of ridicule :) ) and the songs themselves more memorable. The track "The Level of Perception" is an excellent example of this bands ability to paint cosmic landscapes:

I find this band progressive because of the unorthodox riffing techniques employed by main man Patrick Mameli. This guy is way overlooked as far as old school death metal goes, and this album (to me) represents the peak of the bands creativity. Jeroen Paul Thesseling is one of THE best examples of bass done right in a progressive metal setting (alongside peers Tony Choy (Cynic, Atheist) Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Sadus) and Roger Patterson (Atheist  (1968 – February 12, 1991)

Did I mention the drumming?! Marco Foddis gives arguably his best session EVER on this album. I've never heard such creativity in a metal band; the ending section of "Soul Search" displays a scattered/off kilter beat that skips and bounces around the guitar riff in such a way that can only be described as amazing. He also penned some of the most thought provoking lyrics for the genre at the time (IMO) alongside the likes of Chuck Schuldiner (Death, Control Denied) (1967 – December 13, 2001)

All in all, it does require quite a bit from the listener, as do most great records. It's easy to see why sh*t like this tanked, but at the same time I can't help but marvel at the sheer passion and commitment to creativity that makes this record what it is. It's definitely not for everyone, but those who "get it" know exactly what I'm talking about :)

What are your thoughts and opinions on this gem?

1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 12:12
"SPHERES" is a great album but not a masterpiece.

Jazz Metal was a good genre, for me.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 12:18
And for me too!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
AllP0werToSlaves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 12:34
Personally I consider it a masterpiece of that particular genre (early death metal scene), as it completely transcends the boundaries of what's commonly accepted in extreme metal. Pestilence raised a huge middle finger to the dense, ignorance laden scene that was (and to an extent, still is) extreme metal.

A true timeless classic if there ever was one!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 16:06
I havnt listened to it much or recently, but from what I remember it was good but not great, the songs just didnt stick in my head the way Cynic or post-Human Death does.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 16:55
Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

"SPHERES" is a great album but not a masterpiece.

Jazz Metal was a good genre, for me.

You're right, it's not a masterpiece, but then again standards have gotta be sky high for masterpieces in metal, otherwise it defeats the object. It's still amongst the best, and helps along extreme progressive metal a treat

And it's not "Jazz" metal, it draws nothing from jazz theory, jazz voicings, no modes in the solos... if anything it draws more influence from contemporary classical music. People seem to be under the allusion that quiet bits in death metal = jazz
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:18
It should be known that I unconsciously refer to that type of metal as Jazz, but you are right there is way more to it. I guess the fusion portions always make me immediately think Jazz lol. Either way, the riffing on this album is some of the most interesting and unique regardless.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:56
Originally posted by AllP0werToSlaves AllP0werToSlaves wrote:

It should be known that I unconsciously refer to that type of metal as Jazz, but you are right there is way more to it. I guess the fusion portions always make me immediately think Jazz lol. Either way, the riffing on this album is some of the most interesting and unique regardless.

Haha you're not alone, and I don't blame you, it seems that most of the metal community thinks like that! In fact, in hindsight, most "Jazz" Metal from the 90s era (i.e. Cynic, Atheist etc) has little to do with Jazz whatsoever. The only modern bands I can think of off hand that utilise Jazz harmony are Ephel Duath and Spastic Ink
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:58
Spheres is a unique progressive extreme metal album. Nothing sounds like it. I remember the first time I listened to the album back when it was released. I hated it. Over the years I´ve come to treasure the album more and more though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 12:37
I'm quite envious that you remember this albums release; I was only five or so at the time lol. That seems to be the pattern with this album (and most gems); initial hatred. But, repeated listens yield many rewards for the patient listener Smile

Edited by AllP0werToSlaves - January 27 2011 at 12:38
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 13:27
I was 15 when it was released. The metal critics were enthusiastic, but the average death-metal fans were... horrified.

Yet, I suspect some of these "hardcore" death-metal fans to have changed their minds and declare nowadays they always worshipped the band in any phase of their short career.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 11:08
It's always been such a mysterious album; if 1973 was the year for prog rock, 1993 was absolutely the year for extreme metal. I wish I could go back in time and walk in the record store and see Pestilence "Spheres" and Gorguts "The Erosion of Sanity" fresh sealed in plastic wrap Pinch

I feel like the stars aligned or something that year; everything was gold!
 Post Reply Post Reply