Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnivers Zero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Univers Zero
    Posted: January 24 2011 at 17:23
I kept coming across Univers Zero's Clivages being mentioned as a best of 2010 so, intrigued, I sampled them on their MySpace site.  I tried the track "Warrior" and was really grabbed by it.  Is it typical of their output?  Would Clivages be a good place to start before their earlier albums?
Bob
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 17:34

I haven't picked up Clivages yet. This is a band where I must collect the cd's and dismiss downloads. I'm sure almost any part of their history would be the best place to start. You could start with Uzed and work your way backwards then jump to the later releases. I love Univers Zero. 

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 18:21
I haven't heard Cleavage yet, but I have heard the song "Warrior" and it's very similar to the stuff on Uzed and Heatwave.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 18:22
I'm new to the Univers.  I ordered Uzed and Implosion.  Few weeks later got Clivages and 1313.  Count me in as fan. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 06 2011 at 04:59
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 18:26
^ Right. Clivages is the most like their older work from their newer period. It reminds me of a combination of Implosion and Uzed, with generous helpings of other things of course. (Not that that means much for someone who doesn't know UZ...I just felt like saying it. Tongue)

Clivages wouldn't be a bad place to start. I'd probably recommend Uzed or Heatwave (or if you want to jump in head first Heresie) first, just because I think they are just as good if not better. But it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 18:36
I always like starting with the debut and moving forward, but it wouldn't too harmful if you wanted to give Clivages a go first.

Debut through Uzed are essential IMO; but to be honest I don't know much beyond Heatwave.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 18:37
I think with UZ the earlier go the less accessible but the more awesome
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 20:29
Going a You Tube linking spree:

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 04:34
Originally posted by ProgBob ProgBob wrote:

I kept coming across Univers Zero's Clivages being mentioned as a best of 2010 so, intrigued, I sampled them on their MySpace site.  I tried the track "Warrior" and was really grabbed by it.  Is it typical of their output?  Would Clivages be a good place to start before their earlier albums?

Clivages is fairly representative of the band's works since the mid-80's, although I wouldn't say it's one of their better albums, but it's still allright

UZ's career can be divided into a few eras...

- the early years including their first three album (until Ceux Du dehors) is mostly acoustic, and had Roger Trigaux on lectric guitar as the sole non-acoustic instrument, he left to found Present(with Daniel denis's help)

- the mid-years (mid-80's), when Uzed went more electric and became the blueprint of most of their later works, but they disbanded after the following album for 13 years

- Daniel Denis produced two solo album, more or less in the UZ realm, but with much shorter "songs"

- The reformation in 99, much in the same soundscapes as UZed.... until Clivages.... .but you'll have to be careful with implosion, which includes electronic music interludes (it's opersonally one of my faves with Uzed ), and departs a bit from their usual sound  

Soo you can start with their latest Clivages if you wish, but I'd tell you Uzed is their best in terms of their "normal" discography

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 16:47
Thanks for the replies.  I went with Uzed as my starting point and have been enjoying it.  I have now ordered Heresie as I am intrigued by some of the descriptions of it that I have read.  I'm not really sure what I am letting myself in for...

BTW speaking of Heresie, it seems that this has been remixed recently.  I ordered the original as I figured it might become harder to get and I also wanted to hear it in the form that most people are familiar with it.  Does anyone know how different is the remix - if I become a fan will I need both?
Bob
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 17:25
Clivages is actually a really good starting point. I like the debut 1313 the best but Heresie gets the best marks, and it's so nasty, I wouldn't start there. Uzed gets great marks but it hasn't connected with me quite as well as others.

Overall 2010 is a weak year or Clivages wouldn't be so high. Good UZ trumps alot of modern stuff even if they're not at their peak. OTOH, I actually like Magma's most recent the best of all their releases.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 21:21

Thanks for the replies.  I went with Uzed as my starting point and have been enjoying it.  I have now ordered Heresie as I am intrigued by some of the descriptions of it that I have read.  I'm not really sure what I am letting myself in for...

Heresie is enjoyed more once put into the right perspective. 

Edited by irrelevant - February 05 2011 at 21:22
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 02:15

BTW speaking of Heresie, it seems that this has been remixed recently.  I ordered the original as I figured it might become harder to get and I also wanted to hear it in the form that most people are familiar with it.  Does anyone know how different is the remix - if I become a fan will I need both?

From what I've heard, the differences are noticeable, and the band (along with some people I know who heard the original then bought the remix) enjoy the new version more.  Especially the vocals on La Faulx, the liner notes mention something about finally being able to make them how they wanted them IIRC.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 02:35

Honestly, the biggest difference IMO is the "brightness" or "fullness" of the sound. Meaning, that the orignial sound quality wasn't the best and at times it seemed a bit distant/had to be played fairly/quite loud to get it to play at a "normal" level. Ironically, I don't hear much difference in Jack The Ripper, but the other two the remastering is noticable. It also has a pretty sweet bonus track.

Of course, I'm no audiofile and my ears can't really tell the difference between certain things in the audio quality world. (All I can tell is how good the sound quality is....ie is it muddled/distant sounding/etc.)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 04:59
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Clivages is actually a really good starting point. I like the debut 1313 the best but Heresie gets the best marks, and it's so nasty, I wouldn't start there. Uzed gets great marks but it hasn't connected with me quite as well as others.

Overall 2010 is a weak year or Clivages wouldn't be so high. Good UZ trumps alot of modern stuff even if they're not at their peak. OTOH, I actually like Magma's most recent the best of all their releases.

That's kind of funny.  Of the four I got, which don't include Heresie, I found 1313 to be a bit too dark. LOL  I love Uzed, Clivages, and Implosion, which is to say it's really dependent on your personal tastes as to what will appeal to you most.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply