Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Could a Tunisia Type Event Happen In Your Country?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCould a Tunisia Type Event Happen In Your Country?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Could a Tunisia Type Event Happen In Your Country In The Next Ten Yrs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
14 [60.87%]
4 [17.39%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 06:05
Nah, the people who abuse power are fairly well protected. I see in the news that things are starting to happen in Egypt and Yemen...

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 28 2011 at 06:22
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:02
Highly unlikely in the UK I would say.

Protests and riots yes, but actual revolution? No way. Things could get ugly if we go double dip, or get into a hyper-inflation situation, I guess, but Tunisia style? No. I very much doubt it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:07
In MY country, France? No, for one reason: one can disagree with Sarkozy's politics (and I do), but France isn't a dictatorship led by the same leader and his party (clique?) for more than 20 years.

I won't be surprised if the Belarus tried to get rid of his dictator; I'm not surprised about the uprisings in Algeria; but I don't see why it would happen in the USA, in Canada and most of the Western Europe (UK being an exception).
In France, after all, we will have elections in 2012 and I doubt that Sarkozy will turn crazy and declare himself lifetime imperator just like Napoleon II made in 1851!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:10
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

In MY country, France? No, for one reason: one can disagree with Sarkozy's politics (and I do), but France isn't a dictatorship led by the same leader and his party (clique?) for more than 20 years.I won't be surprised if the Belarus tried to get rid of his dictator; I'm not surprised about the uprisings in Algeria; but I don't see why it would happen in the USA, in Canada and most of the Western Europe (UK being an exception). In France, after all, we will have elections in 2012 and I doubt that Sarkozy will turn crazy and declare himself lifetime imperator just like Napoleon II made in 1851!

Why do you think the UK is an exception?
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:21

The Brits learned the lessons of uprising the hard way through their experiement with Oliver Cromwell and his terror regime. People in this country has long, vivid memories. Hence, this country is immune against another uprising. 

There will be some demos and some harsh words and that's it.  

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:25
Someone once said: the distance between a stable country and riots is...three meals.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:25
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

In MY country, France? No, for one reason: one can disagree with Sarkozy's politics (and I do), but France isn't a dictatorship led by the same leader and his party (clique?) for more than 20 years.I won't be surprised if the Belarus tried to get rid of his dictator; I'm not surprised about the uprisings in Algeria; but I don't see why it would happen in the USA, in Canada and most of the Western Europe (UK being an exception). In France, after all, we will have elections in 2012 and I doubt that Sarkozy will turn crazy and declare himself lifetime imperator just like Napoleon II made in 1851!

The last events (the riot of the students) makes me think that UK could experiment a harsher way of demonstrating than any other West European country: from what I see in news reports, in fictions, etc., it seems to me that the UK society is less equalitarian than, let's say, the Spanish society, the German society or even the French society.

Of course, watching fictions is not the best way to learn about the society, but I'm always amazed to see the Inspector Barnaby dealing with aristocrats "reigning" over small country towns! I would also be interested in the evolution of mentalities in UK about the republican idea: is still a small, tiny minority which demands the end of monarchy?

But, after all, it's still Greece which looks as the country the most canny to "enjoy" political and economical turmoil. When you hear that a 15-year-old teenager died in a riot, you can't wait but big, big, BIG troubles in Greece.

And now, for something different, how will things turn in Belgium? Will Benoit Poelvoorde be able to pass a casting for ZZ Top?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 07:49

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The last events (the riot of the students) makes me think that UK could experiment a harsher way of demonstrating than any other West European country: from what I see in news reports, in fictions, etc., it seems to me that the UK society is less equalitarian than, let's say, the Spanish society, the German society or even the French society. Of course, watching fictions is not the best way to learn about the society, but I'm always amazed to see the Inspector Barnaby dealing with aristocrats "reigning" over small country towns! I would also be interested in the evolution of mentalities in UK about the republican idea: is still a small, tiny minority which demands the end of monarchy? But, after all, it's still Greece which looks as the country the most canny to "enjoy" political and economical turmoil. When you hear that a 15-year-old teenager died in a riot, you can't wait but big, big, BIG troubles in Greece. And now, for something different, how will things turn in Belgium? Will Benoit Poelvoorde be able to pass a casting for ZZ Top?

I would say the riots we saw last year in Greece were on a par with our student protests, which turned into riots at the hands of those who turned up with other agendas.

Things will get fairly grim here I'm sure, but I've no reason to think public reaction will be any worse than any other European country. I think you're right in that we are less 'equal' than our European neighbours. There is certainly a bigger gap between the richest and poorest, and it's a gap that's been widening steadily over the years. Same in the US. Of course it all depends on who's stats you believe. I'm sure there are government stats that 'prove' the opposite.

I've seen no specific evidence that opposition to the monarchy is increasing, although in times of economic hardship it wouldn't surprise me to see that. We have one thing in common with the rest of the EU; we are broke.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 20:13
To say that what's happening in Egypt resembles the Romanian revolution is an understatement. Everybody I know is shivering with flashbacks right now.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 20:19
If my country was Egypt, I'd probably go with yes.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 20:39
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

To say that what's happening in Egypt resembles the Romanian revolution is an understatement. Everybody I know is shivering with flashbacks right now.

Well Ceausescu's presidency lasted 15 years before people throw him down, Mubarak is in the president's office for 30 years. It's about time they put the sucker down!!! I'm wholeheartedly keeping fingers crossed for Egyptian people.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 20:43
^ But Ceausescu's rule started a decade before he "crowned" himself president (an office he only innitiated). And there were over four decades of communism over-all that people were fighting. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 20:49
Just read this: China has blocked all internet searches for "Egypt". LOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 20:55
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

The Brits learned the lessons of uprising the hard way through their experiement with Oliver Cromwell and his terror regime. People in this country has long, vivid memories. Hence, this country is immune against another uprising. 

Indeed, in one of my classes I believe he described the British political attitude as "muddling through" and they have a long history of stability.

No doubt the situation can grow tense, but I really don't see any chance of something really out there happening in the US, or Canada, or Europe (Western and Central).
Seems like a lot of the "middle" countries of the world are the ones undergoing these process'. And wouldn't that make sense?

Edited by JJLehto - January 29 2011 at 20:56
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 22:19
things can actually get pretty ugly when the people want to, but Lula os too good in the art of demagogy to let these things happen, plus things actually improved for > 50 million people. Actually better way of life + demagogy = >85% approval ratings, so no uprisings any time soon, lol.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 22:29
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Indeed, in one of my classes I believe he described the British political attitude as "muddling through" and they have a long history of stability.

No doubt the situation can grow tense, but I really don't see any chance of something really out there happening in the US, or Canada, or Europe (Western and Central).
Seems like a lot of the "middle" countries of the world are the ones undergoing these process'. And wouldn't that make sense?

Certainly not in the USA. They don't have a history of overthrowing their oppressive government. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 22:42
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ But Ceausescu's rule started a decade before he "crowned" himself president (an office he only innitiated). And there were over four decades of communism over-all that people were fighting. 

I'm not trivializing the suffering of Romanian people under the regime, or their struggles for democracy. I'm just saying it's high time a similar regime should be overthrown in Egypt (and in every dictatorship on the planet, for that matter).
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 22:55
since the protests in Tunisia and Egypt are not based on self-centered ideals, no. And that goes for any developed country. In the developing world, yes.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 23:02
Then what ideals are they based on?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 23:06
I meant, they aren't like the UK rioting for what? a 10% or so tuition increase.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>