Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpock's Beard to tour UK without Nick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 05:51
Why the teary emoticon? Ted Leonard is an amazing singer. 
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 12:39
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

WHY? Because he's not a member of the band and this whole process of hiring a singer is just wrong, if the band can't fulfill their commitments they shouldn't be playing. I really don't care how good the singer is or who he is, if they had hired Peter Gabrielor Jon Anderson or dug up Caruso i'd have felt the same
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 14:24
^ Spock's Beard have been friends with Enchant for a long time - I still remember from one of the SB DVDs the Enchant poster in Neal's recording room.

I'd actually like to see that show - SB sung by Ted Leonard. It's like Spock's Beard - with a beard! Or maybe the beards cancel themselves out ... LOL
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 14:37
Of course they overlook the obvious choice:
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 15:27
^ who will be at the High Voltage festival as well Ermm

**EDIT** im sure they considered it (or maybe not) and thought it might be awkward... who knows...

Edited by darkshade - March 19 2011 at 15:29
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 03:51
^ I wouldn't be surprised if he joined them on stage for one or two songs ... Smile
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 09:20
^ that's likely

this is the encore of a show where neal played the light-- this is the nick era
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 13:25
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

^It wouldn't be just one gig.  They are just announcing it now so there are no surprises.  It maybe a close to the event call whether nick can get the time off. Dave Meros posted this over at Progressive ears:

Hi, 
Time to answer a couple questions - - 

First, before we get all excited, let's wait and give Nick a chance to find out if he can do this UK trip with us or not. 

He does have a break between Cirque shows right then, which is very good. However, he may have some obligations during that time or his schedule may change, and no one can give him any definite answers about that right now, so we're kind of in limbo for an indefinite period of time. .. hence the announcement. 

The announcement on the SB website was just a disclosure of a possibility. We didn't want to get a month away from the trip, find out that Nick could not do it, and then announce it after people had bought tickets and made travel plans. 

Yes, we do want to focus more on the newer material. We are the Spock's Beard of the last few CDs and that's what we want to sell. 

We have a sub lined up already just in case, he's AWESOME and perfect for the gig, and I'm not going to tell you who it is. ;-) There is no benefit to anybody by telling you who this is until we actually know that the situation requires this person to step in. 

Just another day in the life of Spock's Beard! ;-) 

Cheers.........Dave 

You think they were ever going to consider using Neal after reading that?  And you assume Neal would want to do it anyway. How can Neal rehearse for his own set of music if he has to tour with SB?  It really was not going to happen.   I think Ted Leonard will do an fantastic job on the material and yes I think Neal will come out and Play on something like The Light  at High Voltage.  Of course these guys all know each other.  The prog musician community in California is not all that big. 

And for the comment that shouldn't be doing it at all is really ridiculous How many opportunities do you think they get to do shows at all?  Of course they are going to play.  Nick is under contract to Cirque this is his full time job not Spock's Beard and his schedule is very restrictive.  These guys all have to take vacation time from their day jobs to set these tours up and doing it off of High Voltage was probably the only was they could cover the expense. Sorry if you feel they won't be good without him but if I were you I would jump at the chance to see the X material live.  I saw them last Sept and the X material was fantastic. I have seen them 3 times without Neal and this was the best hands down.  There will be little drop off with Ted fronting them. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 13:57
Originally posted by Harold-The-Barrel Harold-The-Barrel wrote:

WHY? Because he's not a member of the band and this whole process of hiring a singer is just wrong, if the band can't fulfill their commitments they shouldn't be playing. I really don't care how good the singer is or who he is, if they had hired Peter Gabrielor Jon Anderson or dug up Caruso i'd have felt the same

So, let me see:

If a singer has other commitments where he's making money. the other members have to retire or wait for him?

When Pele and Maradona were injured, they were replaced, when any member of a band resigns (excepts guys like Ian Anderson or Robert Fripp) or can't join a tour, they can be replaced.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 20 2011 at 14:00

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 01:06
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Harold-The-Barrel Harold-The-Barrel wrote:

So, let me see:

If a singer has other commitments where he's making money. the other members have to retire or wait for him?

When Pele and Maradona were injured, they were replaced, when any member of a band resigns (excepts guys like Ian Anderson or Robert Fripp) or can't join a tour, they can be replaced.

Iván

Honestly at this point a King Crimson without Fripp is one I'd see in a heartbeat (assuming the rest of the lineup was unchanged). Not to downplay his contributions, but Ade's been the driving force of the band for some time now (and for the better I'd say!)

Regarding ther topic at hand, while it's a strange and unexpected choice, it will at least be interesting. And I'm sure Neal will come out for The Light or something, so that'll be cool. Let's give this a chance..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12