Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Cardiacs Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 15:34
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I just can't bring myself to sign up. Youtube it is!!! LOL

Please consider signing up. I know iTunes sucks in a lot of ways but all the royalties go straight to Tim, who needs every penny he can get right now...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 16:58
My wife actually has an account. Maybe I will go that direction. Clearly I must have more Cardiacs.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 17:50
I bought the whole discography by itunes but i  want to buy the cd´s too, on the official website are not available.

Do you know a record store where I can buyit?, I probe on amazon and there is nothing
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 18:35
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

I bought the whole discography by itunes but i  want to buy the cd´s too, on the official website are not available.

Do you know a record store where I can buyit?, I probe on amazon and there is nothing

You won't find any for under $70-75 USD, and Sing to God goes for around $150.  They are out of print right now, and will be for a while as far as I know, at least until Tim has recovered more.  My best advice is to wait (patiently) for Tim's recovery like the rest of us, and then once he's recovered more we can start hoping for CD reissues.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 18:54

My wife actually has an account. Maybe I will go that direction. Clearly I must have more Cardiacs.

I share your disgust at iTunes...but I finally held my nose and acquired some albums.  Burned to a CD and then transferred to my media library...and won't load up iTunes for a long, long time hopefully.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 19:13
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

You won't find any for under $70-75 USD, and Sing to God goes for around $150.  They are out of print right now, and will be for a while as far as I know, at least until Tim has recovered more.  My best advice is to wait (patiently) for Tim's recovery like the rest of us, and then once he's recovered more we can start hoping for CD reissues.

Thanks for the advice SaltyJon
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 12:10
Sing to God reissued would be a dream. I hope Tim recovers and considers it.

Saskia View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 14:23
I was astounded by this: http://www.youtube.com/user/gilliamband

Israeli prog band Gilliam covering a number of *EXCELLENT* Cardiacs songs: RES, Tarred and Feathered, All His Geese are Swans,  Good stuff indeed.

Equally as enjoyable was this cover of The Everso Closely Guarded Line: http://www.youtube.com/user/1szoba2pal

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 12:54
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I share your disgust at iTunes...but I finally held my nose and acquired some albums.  Burned to a CD and then transferred to my media library...and won't load up iTunes for a long, long time hopefully.

Agreed - I downloaded them through iTunes, then converted the files to my preferred computer listening style (basically anything that plays through Winamp, but iTunes will only convert to mp3), and never opened iTunes again (unless buying more quality Cardiacs music).

Originally posted by Saskia Saskia wrote:

I was astounded by this: http://www.youtube.com/user/gilliamband

Israeli prog band Gilliam covering a number of *EXCELLENT* Cardiacs songs: RES, Tarred and Feathered, All His Geese are Swans,  Good stuff indeed.

Equally as enjoyable was this cover of The Everso Closely Guarded Line: http://www.youtube.com/user/1szoba2pal

I've watched a video of Gilliam covering R.E.S. on Youtube, it's definitely well done:

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 15:24
Strange band for me, I have only "A Little Man and a House ..." and the double "Sing To God" and I very honestly admit they are really great musicians, and yet the style is not my cup of tea. I would be hardly pushed if I should rate these albums, I realise they are f*k good and yet reality is that I play them very very seldom.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 03:39
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Strange band for me, I have only "A Little Man and a House ..." and the double "Sing To God" and I very honestly admit they are really great musicians, and yet the style is not my cup of tea. I would be hardly pushed if I should rate these albums, I realise they are f*k good and yet reality is that I play them very very seldom.

I wouldn't worry about it. I encounter bands that are technically proficient but do f**k all for me on a personal level pretty much every day. Cardiacs are pretty much the epitome of an "acquired taste".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:26
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. I encounter bands that are technically proficient but do f**k all for me on a personal level pretty much every day. Cardiacs are pretty much the epitome of an "acquired taste".

Yes, I totally agree. I would try them out a little more though, Gerinksi. You may find that you enjoy them more and more.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:48
This was posted by Mr. Kavus Torabi over at Progressive Ears (in the thread he opened about the Tribute album. 

"To be honest I was a little surprised by The Guardian piece. Bic had done the interview about a month before and the writer Ian Gittins' father had had a stroke so he was apparently very sensitive to the issue. When I read it there we're quotes in there from Bic that did not sound like him at all ('He's a great guy'...Bic never talks like that). When I spoke to Bic he was furious, apparently he had said very little of what he had been quoted as saying. Ho hum. 

Yes, it does paint a rather bleak picture. Tim is not paralysed, nor can he do little else than 'be hoisted in and out of a wheelchair' (sorry if this is a little inaccurate, I'm quoting from memory here) however a lot of what was written is true and a lot more realistic than some of the missives and speculations that have been come out. 

I have been fairly tight lipped about the situation, as have all Tim's friends, but if I'm honest one good thing about an article like this is does clear up to some extent what a lot of people have feared and the amount of fairly inane, although mostly genuinely well meaning, emails I've been bombarded with over the last couple of years from fans has slowed down a little. 

You know; 'Hey are you and Tim Jamming again' and 'Why don't you put out Maresnest on DVD' or 'Are you working on finishing the new album again' etc. I've just found the whole thing extremely painful as you can imagine. 

Also the sales of Leader Of The Starry Skies went right up after the feature. 

We would love to make the entire back catalogue available again and are well aware everyone wants this and also the ridiculousness of a situation where interest in Tim's music is at an all time high, there is a big demand for it AND it will raise a lot of money 

All I can say here is that it is proving EXTREMELY difficult right now. I can't go into the details unfortunately. We are doing our best to sort this out. 

To re-affirm though. Tim is still the wonderful Tim in himself. He is still extremely funny and perceptive and as full of sh*t as he always was. He listens to music continually (including a lot of his own stuff) and enjoys regular visits from his pals. He just can't really do or say much right now but the money raised by this album is already going into more help for him. 

He has good days and bad days as you might expect but is incredibly positive in his outlook....giving all of us around him hope. 

xxx 

------------- 
http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/artists/KNIFEWORLD.htm 
http://www.facebook.com/knifeworld 
http://www.myspace.com/knifeworlduk 
"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:03
Yeah I caught that earlier Assaf. Typical British journalism to misquote and distort, even on a sensitive and (comparatively) minor article such as this. Still, there's some quietly reassuring stuff in that post and I'm very grateful to Kavus for clearing things up a little.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 12:37
It's good to hear Tim's condition isn't as bad as the article says.

fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 14:52
Briny Hooves is a brillaint, yet little known record (at least here anyaway) by William D Drake.

My advice is do not hesitate to get this. You cannot buy the disc at Drake's site but you can buy the download.

Did this last week and it's been at the top of my playlist ever since.

Great record!!!!
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 14:02
Cardiacs are unique. I love their playfulness, their skill and the mind-blowing tunes.

Would love to have seen them live!

I too am saddened to hear that Tim is still debilitated, but whether or not he ever makes any more new music he has ensured himself a place high up in the (short) list of genuine music greats.

I've been watching Maresnest over the last few days and will write a review of it soon.

Edited by russellk - March 09 2011 at 14:03
daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 17:46
Originally posted by fxdregs fxdregs wrote:

Briny Hooves is a brillaint, yet little known record (at least here anyaway) by William D Drake.

My advice is do not hesitate to get this. You cannot buy the disc at Drake's site but you can buy the download.

Did this last week and it's been at the top of my playlist ever since.

Great record!!!!

Well I finally got it for my birthday, best present I've given myself in a long time, hehe... 
I'm glad Briny Hooves is more song oriented than Will's first solo record, which sounded a lot like another Sea Nymphs release, BH sounds more original and gosh, Bill is such a great composer, pianist and singer... Hooray for himl!
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 10:02
Yoinked from another forum:

hello all
i will be presenting a one hour internet radio show to promote the "leader of the starry skies" cd
on sun march 13th at 8pm uk time on http://www.phoenixradio.co.uk (esoterica with dave hewitt) the show is one whole hour of all things tim smith.
i hope this will increase awareness of his needs and help sell a few more cds.
please pass the word
thank you dave

I'll be tuning in tomorrow and I hope some of you will be too!
Sing To God View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 02:36
Massive fan here. They have been my favourtie band bar none since I was introduced to them by a friend  in 1989. Between 1989 and 1996 I saw them live over 30 times. Then in the 00s I saw them a few times at The Astoria for their annual Xmas gig.

Get well Tim.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>