Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - labyrinth and last unicorn and neverending story
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlabyrinth and last unicorn and neverending story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: labyrinth and last unicorn and neverending story
    Posted: February 01 2011 at 19:54
i forgot when i recommended Ladyhawke to mention this one as well. I am also sure most of you have the Legend soundtrack if you're tangerine dream fans. but one of the reasons i took so quickly to prog is because some of it reminds me of my favorite movies, specifically fantasy movies from the 80s :)

my husband and i danced to this at our wedding (among other cheese:)

la la la and a bottle of plum!

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 19:56
I liked Labyrinth until somebody pointed out to me that you can see David Bowies "junk" for practically the entire film Dead
PlumAplomb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 20:01
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I liked Labyrinth until somebody pointed out to me that you can see David Bowies "junk" for practically the entire film Dead

yeah that's one of the good things about labyrinth:) i saw it in the theater when i was 9, it never bothered me

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 22:40
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Dude, the junk is integral.  Jareth is the demon lover, the seductive herald of Sarah's (and many, MANY viewers') sexual awakening...plus, I mean, it's David Bowie's junk.  If I absolutely must stare at a rock star's junk, it had damn well better be David Bowie's. Tongue
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 22:41
labyrinth is one of the worst movies ever created
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 22:46
I love The Labyrinth, and at least the models and atmosphere of The Neverending Story. I've never seen the Last Unicorn. Those movies were just ever so slightly before my time to have a major impact n my childhood. But I watched the hell out of Milo and Otis.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 04:52
I loved Labyrinth a lot (the story, the artwork, the music, and first/foremost Jennifer) , I' m not too keen on Neverending Story (because book is way better), and I never watched Last Unicorn. I think I'll give it a try.

Speaking of Bowie's junk: 'The Man Who Fell On Earth'. Good movie though. Smile

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 08:10
Originally posted by PlumAplomb PlumAplomb wrote:

my husband and i danced to this at our wedding (among other cheese:)

That's a great song. I like Labyrinth a lot, since I was a kid.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 08:21
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I cannot visualize the chain of events that led to Labyrinth being created and released. It defies logic. At least I have this video to cheer me up.

Edited by Henry Plainview - February 02 2011 at 08:23
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 10:06
Love all the movies mentioned here, btw (although I sadly didn't encounter The Last Unicorn until I was much older).  Other fantasy films that had a dramatic effect on my as a kid were the animated Flight of Dragons and the animated Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit and The Return of the King. 

Also, my soul belongs to The Dark Crystal.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 10:20
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Love all the movies mentioned here, btw (although I sadly didn't encounter The Last Unicorn until I was much older).  Other fantasy films that had a dramatic effect on my as a kid were the animated Flight of Dragons and the animated Rankin-Bass versions of The Hobbit and The Return of the King. 

Also, my soul belongs to The Dark Crystal.

oh im right with you there:) but i dont have those soundtracks, i do have jen n kira dolls:)  also willow and krull <3 ill even add heavy metal, wizards, excalibur...:)

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 10:23
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I cannot visualize the chain of events that led to Labyrinth being created and released. It defies logic. At least I have this video to cheer me up.

its called Brian Froud and Jim henson' geniuii, they also made Drak Crystal together. oh also, Terry Jones wrote the screenplay

here's a photo of him hard at work http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5835344/Monty-Python-theme-tune-music-to-madness.html

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 11:38
The chords to "That's All I have To Tell You" are truly beautiful. I would love to hear those chords also played on a Classical nylon string guitar. Legend by T.D. had a huge impact on me as well.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 12:47
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Re-watched it today. Lots of sex scenes. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 12:56

I loved Labyrinth a lot (the story, the artwork, the music, and first/foremost Jennifer) , I' m not too keen on Neverending Story (because book is way better), and I never watched Last Unicorn. I think I'll give it a try.

i must have been too young when i read it because i remember being so annoyed everytime Ende said 'but that is another story and will be told at another time' pissed me off:)  don't read the last unicorn before you see the movie, the novel is amazing and dark and awesome, the movie imo, is as well but the book is epic, like lotr epic, they were even going to make the epic dark version of the book a few years back. the animated 80s film however, is more psychedelic and dark but still amazing imo, i jsut htink reading the book will ruin the movie and iwnat you to give me both a fair chance

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
Hanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 17:38
I actually kind of hate Labyrinth with a passion.  I booted it up on Netflix recently because it was recommended to me by a lot of people.

What I saw was less than impressive.  The music was just strange, the characterization was nonexistent, the plot was crazy enough that it didn't matter, and the special effects got in the way (I was constantly aware that I was watching puppetry, which doesn't happen with good movies).  Also, the acting was completely unconvincing and I'm surprised Connely had a career at all after that film.  The whole thing just seemed all wrong.  I'd like to know why it's so highly regarded as some kind of classic.

I'll give it this: the sets were impressive.  It made me wish something interesting was going on in them.

Oh, but The Neverending Story.

Fun fact: I watched it when I was 6 and didn't like it.  But just a couple months ago (again, on Netflix) I decided to watch it again.  Wow, was I missing out when I was a youngster.  I don't know why I ignored this movie, but it is absolutely enchanting.  Atreyu's journey felt intensely personal, the cinematography was amazing, and the special effects were hauntingly good.  I was so wrapped up in the story that I found myself really hoping things turned out well at the end.  I've seen better family films (Beauty on the Beast, for instance), but none that so convincingly portrayed a world.  The story was always moving forward, too, and felt like it had a real objective.  The twist was a bit of a cop-out but it was so well-presented I didn't care.

tl/dr: Loved Neverending Story, hated Labyrinth.  I have no idea why, as the two movies seem to find the same audience, but for me the contrast was huge and came down to the use of special effects and the quality of storytelling.

Didn't George Lucas have something to do with Labyrinth?  That would explain it.  I never much liked Willow either.  I'm a huge Star Wars geek, though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 20:49

The Man Who Fell To Earth ... Nicholas Roeg's film ... is a fabulous film ... but it is too intelligent and moves too fast and I am not sure that people that like their fantasy Hollywood style will be able to handle a film like this ... I wouldn't even suggest it. It is also a very political film and it is about corruption of the worst kind.

And for the record, if there is a director that can make any rock star look good, it is Nicholas Roeg. If you have never seen "Performance" (way too progressive of a film for this board, I bet!!! No kidding! And way too literary too!) with Mick Jagger and James Fox, you certainly don'[t appreciate one of the best made and conceived films of all time. One of the few that you can see more than once and still not figure it out or completely understand. But it is a massive film and worth having on DVD. 

David Bowie in The Man Who Fell To Earth is the other one, and is excellent, and Bowie is very good and very well directed all around. If there is an issue, is that the film is intentionally flighty and breezy, and it leaves you hanging and with no answers, except that things happened and sometimes they made sense, and sometimes they didn't, and the clues to those answers are in the shot sequences and the various events in them.

"Bad Timing, A Sensual Obsession" is a total blow out with Art Garfunkel and Harvey Keitel as the almost psychic detective. And Art as the really screwed up professor, but you don't know that until the end ... and has one of the best lines ever delivered in movies ... "sometimes a man has to drop his pride to love a woman" ... and the character disappears ... in other words, he never existed and the professor's character is a total jerk and screwhead! Unreal ending ... and so with it.

Nicholas Roeg is also known for one other thing ... his use of music in his films is incendiary, fabulous and totally far out ... and was easily the forerunner of MTV and the prototype for it. Maybe one day you will see "Memo From Turner" in the movie and make sense of it in the story ... because it is wild ... the song is fine ... Mick's work is excellent, but the movie is far better!

I like Labyrinth, but it is not a favorite movie of mine. The use of music was nice, not great, but by that time, I had already seen how Nicholas Roeg used music and some other directors and things like Labyrinth kinda ... lost insterest for me.

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2011 at 20:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 21:54
I'm not familiar with Roeg (except for 'The Man Who Fell On Earth') but he picked my curiosity.

But I must recommend the book on which the movie was based on. It's totally sad.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 22:26
I somewhat liked Labyrinth, I do like Neverending story (though I like better the book, and the second film of Neverending story completley destroyed the second half of the book... perhaps it would be a good time to do a film of the book again), and I like The Last Unicorn a lot (though I haven't read the book... perhaps I should).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 22:43
last unicorn the novel is one of my all time favs, i have a few copies, one autographed by peter s beagle, who is a very accessible man these days which is nice. 

and when it lands
will my eyes
be closed or open?
 Post Reply Post Reply