Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is ProgArchives too progressive for its own good?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs ProgArchives too progressive for its own good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 07:39

I think you mean Weeaboo.

How do you misspell a word like that?

Edited by boo boo - February 04 2011 at 07:44
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 07:46
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

I think you mean Weeaboo.

How do you misspell a word like that?

Because if you were you would prove my point, which you did.

lol
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 09:34
Progarchives is not enough progressive for its own good 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 09:54
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Over the last couple years or so,
I've found myself referring to ProgArchives less and less.

As the site's library of bands becomes more and more extensive,
the spectrum of reviewers seems to become much more expansive.

Although that sounds like a good thing on the surface, it kinda defeats
the purpose of (what once was) a generally like-minded niche community.

For albums that I am familiar with, I don't feel like I relate to many of the
opinions posted about them these days... and so it has become more difficult
for me to utilize reviews of unfamiliar albums as dependable reference tools.

When I see legendary 70s prog albums being reviewed as "totally overrated"
or "full of pretentious filler" and given 1 or 2 stars-- then I'm not sure that I get the
point of the site anymore.  If multiple people are completely trashing legitimate
classic albums by Yes or King Crimson (for example), then why bother reading on?
I can get those types of opinions from PunkArchives or GrungeArchives.

Oh well. (sigh)
Unhappy

Translation:  I'm bothered by opinions that are counter to mine, so I quit.

Oh, I see the OP never bothered to re-visit.  Yet another troll, and another waste of time.

Edited by Padraic - February 04 2011 at 09:58
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 10:33

I think what the first post is trying to say is that some people here, for attention, recognition, whatever... purposefully exaggerate their opinion to get a response....... like they might think ITCOTKC is not so great.... maybe not 5 star... but they review it only 1 star to make themselves look like they know more about music than everyone else on the site.

The OP meant this, I think, but made his words seem like he just couldn't accept the opinions of others.

Also, Prog-related and proto-prog are, although not unnecessary, pointless when, as people have pointed out, they are rated in an odd way because they aren't progressive rock.

But what bothers me more is the inclusion of every single album a band has done, when in some cases only a small fraction of their output is prog. Miles Davis' pre-70's albums for example....... a waste of space on this site! Perhaps exceptions be made for the very big prog bands because their influence continues into the later stages of their career. However, I'm not interested in reviewing or reading about some early Rush album when, because they are so popular, even their non-prog stuff gets higher ratings than something less famous that is actually prog rock.

Edited by thehallway - February 04 2011 at 10:43

El Pollo Guerrera View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 14:17
Originally posted by Aunty Ethel Aunty Ethel wrote:

I don't really see the point in reading loads of reviews that agree with everything you say about an album.  What is the point?  It just affirms what you know.  I prefer reading a critique of something I like to see what would make someone take the opposite stance - this holds far more interest to me.

My point was that if you listen to someone whose opinion parallels yours, you may find music that you hadn't heard that they liked, and based on that you might try it.

That being said, I agree with you.  I do enjoy reading a thoughtful negative review.  Sometimes I agree with points in a negative review.  What I like may be different than what the reviewer likes, and sometimes what they see as a negative I would see as a positive.
JT_Productions View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 22:12
I've thought about this too. I think you need to see what other albums the member has posted reviews on to determine what their personal tastes are. Look at the reviews of member. If he grades albums with positive marks that you feel are albums you'd rank highly you're likely to find someone who could steer you toward music you've never heard that you may love. That what I use the site for. Finding good new music to enjoy. If it's two years old or twenty, heavy or light as a feather, I like it all. You'll probably find you have nothing musically in common with someone who trashes "Close to the Edge," It is my favorite albums of all time but music like opinions are so varied and reviewers are so subjective. I'm guilty of begging Prog Archives to include Jimi Hendrix to the site. Was that wrong? I don't think so. I want other to have a chance at finding music they may enjoy. I found so many cool bands that I never would have known existed like Opeth, Khan, and Caravan. Search out some cool new music. Stick aroundSmile 
https://soundcloud.com/metallicsun
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 22:42
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Translation:  I'm bothered by opinions that are counter to mine, so I quit.

Oh, I see the OP never bothered to re-visit.  Yet another troll, and another waste of time.

thank you--  their absence speaks volumes

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:38
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

In short; become a member and then branch out into all possible genres we offer. Check my signature, btw. That's the honest truth about ProgArchives. 

Nahhh ... your sunglasses are not dark enough!Clap
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:45
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I disagree with you. Opinion IS a part of a review...any review.

Too bad you never lived in a Fascist country to know what a statement like that could do to you or your family!

What one ended up learning is using that as a sub-text, but you never, stated the opinion out right, because ... it would hurt!

But this is the land of freedom, and everyone thinks that "freedom" means you can say "crap" about everything you don't like ...

I give ... it's better than the fascism ... but not that much better after a while! ... because there is a difference, and you are not looking at it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:54
I think Moshkito is too progressive for progarchives
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 21:09
LOL
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 21:34
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think Moshkito is too progressive for progarchives
I think he often says right things. Though I'm not progressive at all, look at my nick. Smile 
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 03:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Too bad you never lived in a Fascist country to know what a statement like that could do to you or your family!

What one ended up learning is using that as a sub-text, but you never, stated the opinion out right, because ... it would hurt!

But this is the land of freedom, and everyone thinks that "freedom" means you can say "crap" about everything you don't like ...

I give ... it's better than the fascism ... but not that much better after a while! ... because there is a difference, and you are not looking at it!

Everything I say you take to absolute extremes. I never said an opinion has to be forceful or to say something is crap has to be anything to do with it. 

Yes it is too bad I never lived in a fascist country. Jeez, what a dumb comment.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 18:34

Everything I say you take to absolute extremes. I never said an opinion has to be forceful or to say something is crap has to be anything to do with it. 

It is not an extreme. It is how one person, or another sees it. And it bothers you that someone doesn't agree with you! For which you always drop a left handed fluffy smack!

To me, and I am not sure that you see this, although I am sure you feel similarly, this music is important, as is the art around it. For some of the comments, yours included --SOMETIMES -- I do not feel that you are willing to see the wider picture that would show another art of connection to something else other than ... just something called "progressive music", of which you are certainly one of the knowledgable ones, and I have no issue with that at all.

It is scary, however, when posts like yours, almost entirely disagreeing with Moshkito, rarely has an explanation. You might think that I am wasting words ... and that's fine ... but in the end, you must think that you are protecting your "knowledge" and "beliefs" ... and feeling superior than anyone else.

The music, the art, is all that matters to me. And saying this to you, is not ... to get on your left side or to make you think that I would rather get into slurs and un-needed comments. It is not necessary.

There is a difference between us ... I agree that we can disagree and I defend your right to stand up for your own right ... but you don't respect mine! And that is wrong! And my name is not Voltaire!

Yes it is too bad I never lived in a fascist country. Jeez, what a dumb comment.

Of course it is, when you take it out of context ... you would rather not have any idea what that is about ... trust me ... it's very ugly! ... but you might not like, or enjoy the truth!

Edited by moshkito - February 11 2011 at 18:37
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 18:42
Plenty of people don't agree with me. I don't see that as an issue anywhere. I don't really see the point in discussing this any further either. We are poles apart from any understanding of each other,

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 18:48
Is MoshkitoArchives too progressive for it's own Snow Dog?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 18:49

His posts are too......progressive.....for me....and for all of us!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 19:22

Took me a while to be able to respond to this ... it goes like this.

If "opinion" becomes a part of the review, the next inevitable problem is ... why is your opinion more important than mine, or vice versa? IN the end, it's like a peter contest! Wow ... I'm sure you're impressed!

But, because you, I and others are experienced reviewers, I think we are given some latitudes as to what the opinion is ... I have had several reviews of films used in a bunch of Film Festivals, and it wasn't so much for my "opinion", as it was the way I wrote it, and how I described it. That description, and wording, is what got those folks excited about adding a film to their Festival, for example. I'm proud of that.

The other one, is the toughest one of all. Gaspar Noe's film "Je Suis Seul" ... it's such an incredible ... amalgamation of sensory assaults, that if you have an opinion, you know what it is? .. it's crap and that's not a film! ... but there it is ... the whole thing is such an intense assault on your senses and perception, specially one's usual takes on film and entertainment, that ... by the time you get done ... there are no words ... and all I can do is ask ... is this good film? ... as conceived yes. is this a brutal film ... yes and then some ... is this an off the wall film ... how else do you describe it? ... but as a cinematic exercise getting you out of your shell and "entertainment" couch? ... this film will blow you out of town! ... it's really hard to even have an opinion on things like this ... and all you can say is ... wonder, and sometimes ask questions, which I am not sure are "opinions" ... in a way, you or I would be trying to figure it out as it is ... which the film maker ... is probably not interested in helping you ... it would take away from the continuity of the film and it's events!

It's a tough area. You're right, there is a lot of "opinion" that probably needs to go in there, albeit, I find that the best reviews are not the ones with the opinions ... are the ones where I showed how the film maker made the film look so good by doing this or that ... and I tend to look at music the same way.

Doesn't mean you are incorrect, because you are not. But, in the end, it takes away the USA Today crap reviews ... that are written strictly to sell the stuff they are paid for, and the stuff that the parent company owns ... and to me that's not an opinion! ... yours is much better and more valid than that!

Edited by moshkito - February 16 2011 at 19:28
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 19:23

His posts are too......progressive.....for me....and for all of us!

Snow Dog ... you better remember why you like and remember so many of the bands you do ... !!! it's why they are still considered progressive!

I have always thought of myself as a maverick, but now you done it ... I gonna have to get me an outfit, talk to Jodei Foster and have some fun!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>