Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaavia
    Posted: February 09 2011 at 05:20
Very nice! Will definitely be checking out their albums. Thumbs Up 
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 12:18

Malaavia is a new Italian band. Their music is symphonic prog in the Italian tradition with some Arabic and modern experimental sounds. This makes the music a fusion of different expressions. The closest comparisons from the seventies scene could be bands like OSANNA and SAINT JUST. Lino Vairetti from OSANNA makes a guest appearance in one track in their debut album "Danze D'incenco". This album has strong keyboard work by Oderigi Lusi and the vocal sections between the male singer & guitarist Pas Scarpato and female singer & flautist Solimena Casoria are especially delicate.

I sent the band some questions and Pas Scarpato answered them on behalf of the band.

#######################################################################

When, where and by whom was Malaavia born ?

The band was founded in 1998 by my (Pas Scarpato), and the Oderigi Lusi Solimena Casoria

Did any of you, past and present members Malaavia, play in other bands before joining Malaavia?

I have been for 10 years in the Blue Tang, a band that was inspired by the music of TomWaits. The other musicians were from the school of music and are great professionals today. Over time the band has changed and the first training I was just me (Pas Scarpato), but the new keyboard player Michael Mutti has already played in our first CD "Dances of incense. "

Why did you choose this name?

The name recalls the ancient cultural roots, but no: it is invented.

Who were your musical inspirations?

All of classical music, ethnic music and John Cage. For the texts I am inspired to Gurdjieff and Ouspensky, two great intellectuals of Eastern Europe.

Let's go straight to the first album. Please tell us more about Dances of incense since 2004 What we have been up to after the release?

"Dances of incense" has always been called "the new frontier of the Italian prog"for its newwriting, text, and contamination of the arrangements. After this CD, the new new Italian prog-bands have all been inspired by this experience. Too bad that we never managed to play in America or outside of Italy. We never had good marketing and good label.

You released your second album  Fluid Vibrations ( Vibrazioni Liquide) in 2008. Please tell us more about this album.

"Vibrazioni Liquide has had a successful sales through the web. It 's a very difficult album inthe music and lyrics. We speak of the Bible, of Islamic culture and experience post-mortem described by some scholars as John Weiss.

Your new album is called  Frammenti Compiuti. Please tell us more about this album.

The new album is very philosophical texts. The basic thought is that any fragment (or other material) can be part of a bigger entity but can also live an independent life for himself  exist, regardless of the larger body to which it belongs.
The music is very different from the first two albums and have little in common with prog classic, but the recordings will be many traditional instruments such as the Neapolitan mandolin, mandola, the folk guitar and acoustic bass.

How would you compare your three albums?

The three albums are children of the same thought: the inner evolution of man.

What is the availability of your albums and from where can they be purchased?

www.btf.it

What inspires you to create new music and what is your recording technique?

I am the composer of lyrics and music. When I bring a new track to the band, usually Michele Mutti and Micaela Carobbio write an arrangement and record it. The whole band does the rest.

I am inspired by the need to become better than they are and serve some purpose in the cosmos. If the music I make would serve well for one person I would have already achieved my purpose.
However, both the lyrics that the music did not ever think the thought of writing something, they come into my dream and in the morning when I wake up, take your guitar and come along with it.

As far as I can digest from my copy of his debut album, your music is what I would call classic keyboards based Italian Progressive Rock. But how would you describe your music?

The music is pure spirituality MALAAVIA that travels together with the notes.

What's your plans for the rest of the year.

1. Must complete the album FRAGMENTS MADE (Frammenti Compiuti).
2. Finding a good manager.
3. Do a few concerts, but the high level.
4. Pursuing other projects with other bands.

Thank you to Pas Scarpato for this interview

Their PA profile is here and their homepage's here

Post Reply Post Reply