Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdagio - Underworld

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adagio - Underworld
    Posted: June 15 2005 at 13:42

Hoping that this thread isn't moved to non-prog ... here's my question about the PROGRESSIVE band Adagio: 

What do you guys think about Adagio, in particular their album Underworld?

http://www.adagio-online.com

www.adagio-online.com/_mp3/nextpro.mp3

any thoughts, comments?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 13:28
no thoughts, no comments ... you don't know what you're missing
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 17:23

Thanks for the link! Beautiful stuff, tons of melody and it's got that 'colour' I love, if you know what I'm talking about...

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:05
Adagio kicks ass.  My first experience with them was their instrumental cover of Immigrant Song, VERY much showcasing their immense arrangement and instrumental skills...

The sample here is just GREAT.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:17

They are not that bad, except I must say kinda generic though.....

nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 19:36

I like them: prog metal close to its best... but still not there. I like Underworld (never heard Sanctus Ignis) and my only real complain is that I don't like David Readman's voice too much...

Anyway, I think it's rather pompous to state in the booklet: Inspiration for this album: W.A. Mozart, Kriztof Penderecki, Witold Lutoslawski, Bela Bartok (see: he's prog!!!), Arnold Shoenberg (sic), Gyorgy Ligeti, Erik Satie, Maestro John Williams, Elliot Goldenthal, Vladimir Horowitz, Arcadi Volodos, Dimmu Borgir (), Cacophony (), Derek Taylor.

Yes, everything included in brackets was added by me...

Eppur si muove
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 02:07
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by generic, but it's true that they're somewhat puristic. They fuse classical music and metal and don't have as many jazz/rock/pop/whatever influences as other bands. A LITTLE bit like Symphony X.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 02:16
Originally posted by nacho nacho wrote:

I like them: prog metal close to its best... but still not there. I like Underworld (never heard Sanctus Ignis) and my only real complain is that I don't like David Readman's voice too much...

Anyway, I think it's rather pompous to state in the booklet: Inspiration for this album: W.A. Mozart, Kriztof Penderecki, Witold Lutoslawski, Bela Bartok (see: he's prog!!!), Arnold Shoenberg (sic), Gyorgy Ligeti, Erik Satie, Maestro John Williams, Elliot Goldenthal, Vladimir Horowitz, Arcadi Volodos, Dimmu Borgir (), Cacophony (), Derek Taylor.

That's funny, because I think that one of their biggest advantages is (was) that voice ... a matter of taste, really.

I wouldn't call it "pompous" ... I'm not a very versed piano player, but I imagine that "inspiration" in this case means includings some parts from their parts in the interludes they play, intros and outros etc. Like Symphony X did on "V: The New Methology Suite": Lacrimosa is actually a requiem by Mozart. Some time ago I heard it on television during the Pope's burial ceremony and was amazed ("Hmm, they play Symphony X at the Pope's funeral ... have I been missing something?").

Dimmu Borgir: Not my cup of tea - probably, I know very little about them

Cacophony: What's bad about them? Jason Becker and Marty Friedman are excellent guitarists. I highly recommend Marty Friedman's Music For Speeding, a metal fusion album a little bit like Derek Sherinian's Black Utopia, bit more diverse and biased towards guitar, of course.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 03:22
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

That's funny, because I think that one of their biggest advantages is (was) that voice ... a matter of taste, really.

I wouldn't call it "pompous" ... I'm not a very versed piano player, but I imagine that "inspiration" in this case means includings some parts from their parts in the interludes they play, intros and outros etc. Like Symphony X did on "V: The New Methology Suite": Lacrimosa is actually a requiem by Mozart. Some time ago I heard it on television during the Pope's burial ceremony and was amazed ("Hmm, they play Symphony X at the Pope's funeral ... have I been missing something?").

Dimmu Borgir: Not my cup of tea - probably, I know very little about them

Cacophony: What's bad about them? Jason Becker and Marty Friedman are excellent guitarists. I highly recommend Marty Friedman's Music For Speeding, a metal fusion album a little bit like Derek Sherinian's Black Utopia, bit more diverse and biased towards guitar, of course.

Yep, I guess it's taste, but still I don't like his timber...

Of course, Symphony's X Lacrimosa is taken from Mozart's Requiem (the Mozart's Requiem). Lacrimosa is a part of the Catholic funeral liturgy, so you will actually find a Lacrimosa in many of the classical Requiem Masses out there. As an addition, the tune heard in the Prelude, from the same album, is taken from the Dies Irae of Verdi's Requiem. I was actually quite angry to see that they didn't state that these tunes are ripped off in any part of the album. I guess these tunes are so well known that they thought it wasn't needed, but see, you thought they were playing Symphony X at the pope's funeral  (not a bad idea, now that I think on it)...

As for Cacophony, I don't know, I heard that Metal Symphony (or something like that) some time ago and all I could think was "just a couple of guitar w**kers". But maybe I wasn't paying too much attention.

Eppur si muove
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 04:32

Of course, Symphony's X Lacrimosa is taken from Mozart's Requiem (the Mozart's Requiem). Lacrimosa is a part of the Catholic funeral liturgy, so you will actually find a Lacrimosa in many of the classical Requiem Masses out there. As an addition, the tune heard in the Prelude, from the same album, is taken from the Dies Irae of Verdi's Requiem. I was actually quite angry to see that they didn't state that these tunes are ripped off in any part of the album. I guess these tunes are so well known that they thought it wasn't needed, but see, you thought they were playing Symphony X at the pope's funeral  (not a bad idea, now that I think on it)...

You're right, they should have mentioned it, if only for people like me who don't know that many classical pieces. But I DID notice the Holst references in Divine Wings ... that's at least a start, isn't it?

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 05:32

You're right, they should have mentioned it, if only for people like me who don't know that many classical pieces. But I DID notice the Holst references in Divine Wings ... that's at least a start, isn't it?

Not bad...

If you are interested in listening to the original classical pieces ripped off by SX you can PM me an email address and I cand send you the mp3s.

Cheers!

Eppur si muove
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 17:50

I'm not sure what you mean by generic, but it's true that they're somewhat puristic. They fuse classical music and metal and don't have as many jazz/rock/pop/whatever influences as other bands. A LITTLE bit like Symphony X.

But Symphony X is much better, even though Symphony X does try to copy bands' sounds quite often... V is still better than the Underworld.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 09:12

But Symphony X is much better, even though Symphony X does try to copy bands' sounds quite often... V is still better than the Underworld.

It took me a while to think it over ... I have to disagree. I've listened to both albums a GREAT DEAL, and I honestly can't decide which is better. V contains some stellar songs, like Egypt, Fallen, Evolution, The Mythology suite. But if you look at it as a work of art, I prefer Adagio.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 23:27
After listening to the MP3s I went out and was able to find Sanctus Ignis but not Underworld.Good stuff man,right up my alley.Thanks for another good recommendation Mike

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 12:12

It took me a while to think it over ... I have to disagree. I've listened to both albums a GREAT DEAL, and I honestly can't decide which is better. V contains some stellar songs, like Egypt, Fallen, Evolution, The Mythology suite. But if you look at it as a work of art, I prefer Adagio.

Now (6 months later) ... what I wrote seems not really fair for V, which is a masterpiece. Adagio - Underworld is equally good IMO, and I listen to it maybe a tiny bit more than Symphony X - V.

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 12:15

I think they kick some butt!!!- GREAT prog metal

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 12:23
I pretty sure I'm with King- I prefer Symphony X- but Adagio is still awesome- anyword on a follow up album to Underworld?
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 12:27

Nevermind- new album in December- looks cool!

Even though the realease is in Japan- why????????

Edited by Drew
Xymphony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 13:19
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Nevermind- new album in December- looks cool!

Even though the realease is in Japan- why????????

Must be  marketing strategy, too bad for us

ulver982 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 13:39
I picked up Underworld about a year ago..and I dunno, there are a few songs on the album I really like, but other than that, I never felt like listening to the album over and over again.  It's a good album, but not essential, IMO.
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>