Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmon Duul 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which stands out for you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [19.44%]
13 [36.11%]
6 [16.67%]
2 [5.56%]
5 [13.89%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.78%]
1 [2.78%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amon Duul 2
    Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:07
Hi,

Let's see what you like or don't like, or have heard?

While I like the later albums to a point, specially Nada Moonshine, in the end, I did not feel that they were as good as the earlier stuff when they were not afraid to experiment and let loose. Nada Moonshine is a very nice album, but I can't help thinking ... I wanna see this band rip it up and jam on this song ... badly!

Updated!

Edited by moshkito - February 15 2011 at 14:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:11
Won't vote as I've only heard a few albums, but Yeti is my favorite, followed by Wolf City.  This is probably my favorite krautrock band (in general, I'm not much of a fan of the "genre").
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:15
Everything I've heard from them (nothing post-Wolf City) stands out in some way, but my favourite album of theirs would be the brilliant Tanz Der Lemminge. 
Apparently it's missing here though. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:18
Originally posted by The Sleepwalker The Sleepwalker wrote:

Everything I've heard from them (nothing post-Wolf City) stands out in some way, but my favourite album of theirs would be the brilliant Tanz Der Lemminge. 
Apparently it's missing here though. 

Ohhh dang ... I forgot that album!

Updated!

Edited by moshkito - February 15 2011 at 14:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:24
Of the ones I've heard, Phallus Dei probably gets my vote.  I love everything so far, though!
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:28
Phallus Dei. Absolutely mindblowing. One of my absolute favourite records ever. 

Their output is generally of very high quality but their two first stand out.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 14:44
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

I appreciate PD more and more as time goes by ... I can't help thinking what a great commentary it is on the commune thing that was big in Germany (Guru Guru had one too!) ... and I like the way it develops ... from the tripping and being stoned to a party ... and after listening to ALL the Amon Duul 1 albums, this takes on a different dimention ... the party that ended in an orgy!

Yeti, is by far one of the top rock albums of all time for me. The long piece specially is really a trip for me.

But my vote goes for my favorite song of all time ... "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... in the Vive La Trance album ... there is no anthem that descripes the end of "progressive music" any better than that one does ... when the dope is over, turn out the lights ... is what it felt like then, and today ... but the "dope" didn't have to die ... because it was an excuse! ... and that was what was missed! But to hear a dervish guitar and a dervish violin duke it out ... and if you get a chance, get the title cut from Scorpions "Fly To the Rainbow" which apparently was recorded in the same place, but the reverse of what AD2 did! ... excellent song too! Play these two back to back! And then do it again!

www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 15:09
Gratuitous Backyardigans quote and "Yeti Stomp" vid:

"Yeti, Yeti, Yeti".

I've only heard the first five albums, but Yeti is my particular favourite of those -- great album. Feel like I should have something somewhat intelligent to say, but basically I will just say that I voted for Yeti cause I really like it and that the Backyardigans is pretty neat.

Edited by Logan - February 15 2011 at 15:13
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 15:20
Love Backyardigans.  I have 30+ episodes on my DVR.  LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 15:35
^ I even went to see the Backyardigans musical. I became more into Spongebob Squarepants, as my tastes have often followed my kids' (daughter especially) lead in such matters ("well, that certainly is convenient"), but the Backyardigans will always be pretty awesome to me.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 16:53
Out of the four I am familiar with, the one I like the most consistently is Phallus Dei, although I have to say that some of the songs on Wolf City I like far more than anything there, so I would list it second.  Carnival in Babylon would be my least favorite, while Dance of the Lemmings (aka Tanze der Lemminge) comes in third.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 19:53
ROMAN NUMERALS

I voted Tanz de Lemminge
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 20:02
Yeti
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 05:22
i love the first 5 but wolf city it the top IMO
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 05:27

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

I appreciate PD more and more as time goes by ... I can't help thinking what a great commentary it is on the commune thing that was big in Germany (Guru Guru had one too!) ... and I like the way it develops ... from the tripping and being stoned to a party ... and after listening to ALL the Amon Duul 1 albums, this takes on a different dimention ... the party that ended in an orgy!

Yeti, is by far one of the top rock albums of all time for me. The long piece specially is really a trip for me.

But my vote goes for my favorite song of all time ... "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... in the Vive La Trance album ... there is no anthem that descripes the end of "progressive music" any better than that one does ... when the dope is over, turn out the lights ... is what it felt like then, and today ... but the "dope" didn't have to die ... because it was an excuse! ... and that was what was missed! But to hear a dervish guitar and a dervish violin duke it out ... and if you get a chance, get the title cut from Scorpions "Fly To the Rainbow" which apparently was recorded in the same place, but the reverse of what AD2 did! ... excellent song too! Play these two back to back! And then do it again!

Smile
You have some peculiar 'insights' and peculiar language use. Favourite PA poster...
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 08:12
I only have Phallus Dei and Yeti, both are incredible albums but I slightly prefer their debut.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:32
Originally posted by MFP MFP wrote:

I only have Phallus Dei and Yeti, both are incredible albums but I slightly prefer their debut.

As time goes by, the band either lost its ability to jam, or the members could not agree on what they wanted to do, and went for songs instead to appease all the folks in the band.

That makes for interesting stuff. Vive La Trance, was following the Wolf City concept and then right after "Apocaliptyc Bore", the ... ohh my gawd ... all of a sudden is not exactly weird lyrics and off left-field stuff, but a bunch of songs, and they are nice and fine ... but I miss the jams!

Made in Germany has excellent material, but sometimes I wonder what went wrong, and why was it not as focused an album ... that all of a sudden is just a bunch of songs that supposedly go together.

Hijack is fantasticly weird! ... and an excellent listen. But difficult since the music itself is really eccentric, and not many of us are going to laugh at "Da Guadaloop" ... a terrific satire! ....
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:45
From the votes it looks like I will have to get Yeti.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:56
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Love Backyardigans.  I have 30+ episodes on my DVR.  LOL

Ouch  Beats Bob the Builder.

I only have Yeti, and I quite like it.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 18:46
Yeti, though I only have it and PD. Yeti blew my mind with the help of some 'goodies' when I heard it 30 years ago.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>