Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBehold...The Arctopus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behold...The Arctopus
    Posted: February 16 2011 at 09:43
Been listening to these guys a lot again recently; just dug out their re-print of the "Nano-Nucleaonic Cyborg Summoning" EP. I know they were initially met with mixed reviews by the non-prog crowd, but what do you guys think? I've got a soft spot for extreme technical progressive metal, so I'm somewhat biased Wink 

Mike Lerner (guitar) also has a great side project called "Direwolf" that has one excellent album (took seven years to complete) that's worth tracking down if you're a fan of that style.

Discuss!

Edited by AllP0werToSlaves - February 16 2011 at 09:43
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 10:42
There OK, but I still feel that Canvas Solaris are by far the best of these instrumntal Tech Metal bands.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JakeMM626 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:09
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I LOVE THIS BAND! very jazzy but so cool! the Warr Guitar work is flawless. Guitars could be better. First introduced to their work by a friend in high school and I was hooked immediately.

Edited by JakeMM626 - February 16 2011 at 11:10
AllP0werToSlaves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:41
I just love the sound, it's very raw. Bands that don't really care and just enjoy creative bliss earn HUGE points with me.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 13:13
So far I can't think of a band that creates utter chaos better than them. Also they use serrealist and modern classical techniques, which I have an ENORMOUS amount of respect for. The beauty of this group is that you don't get it straight away, and even when you DO get it there's a massive amount of harmony, rhythm etc... to take in, so they last for ages on you. I've been listening to Skullgrid ever since it came out and I'm still finding new stuff in it. Plus they harmonise feedback, which is instant win for me
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 16:40
Plus they cite Gorguts as a massive influence. Ever since I discovered these guys about three or four years ago, I always thought that Colin (warr guitar) would be an excellent edition in Gorguts if they ever re-united. Lo and behold, the second Luc Lemay revived the band Colin is on bass! Got to see them live at Maryland Deathfest this past May, arguably the single best set I've ever seen.

Good to know you guys appreciate it; metal doesn't get much more experimentally intense (while still maintaining flow) than Gorguts or BTA!
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 17:41
I really like Colin's work with Dysrhythmia but I've never really gotten big into this band.  Though they've been one I've been wanting to explore for a while, jazz influenced tech metal is usually pretty sweet and I love when the Warr is implemented so well.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 18:04

Botted Science's The Machinations of Dimentia is the best I've heard of this intrumental extreme/tech prog metal. Skullgrid is damn good but not quite up there with Blotted Science IMO. I have to listen to Canvas Solaris' Penumbra Diffuse again as it's been long time since I gave 'er a spin. Has anyone heard Irradiance(2010) from Canvas Solaris yet?

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 21:38
The EP is pretty cool. Skullgrid is terrible. A lot of talent there for sure. Hopefully it translates into something.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 21:44
I wouldn't say Skullgrid is terrible, but it doesn't have the sheer insanity of Nanonuke

Luke Jaeger's Sleep Terror, Spiral Architect, and pretty much anything from Colin Marsden

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 23:08
I think the songwriting in NNCS was a bit better, but you have to like Skullgrid for its pure insanity. 'Canada' really is something though.  

Edited by irrelevant - February 18 2011 at 01:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 22:36
I'm listening to "Skullgrid" right now; this music is precisely what I want to hear at this very moment..
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 22:59
Good musicianship marred by soullessness. Fun to listen to every now and again, but not very much staying power.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 10:15
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Botted Science's The Machinations of Dimentia is the best I've heard of this intrumental extreme/tech prog metal. Skullgrid is damn good but not quite up there with Blotted Science IMO. I have to listen to Canvas Solaris' Penumbra Diffuse again as it's been long time since I gave 'er a spin. Has anyone heard Irradiance(2010) from Canvas Solaris yet?

Irradiance is a good album with short, intense songs but Corticle Tectonics and The Atomized Dream are their best albums, theres a notable step up in quality from the all ready good first 2 albums.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 10:49
Sometimes 100% unfiltered technical ecstasy (not the Sabbath record!) is what needs to be heard; I for one think BTA fill this role perfectly! It's a great contrast to the pretentious bands that try writing this style while being dead serious; BTA is just plain fun!
JakeMM626 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2011 at 16:37
Originally posted by AllP0werToSlaves AllP0werToSlaves wrote:

Sometimes 100% unfiltered technical ecstasy (not the Sabbath record!) is what needs to be heard; I for one think BTA fill this role perfectly! It's a great contrast to the pretentious bands that try writing this style while being dead serious; BTA is just plain fun!

umm, YEAH Big smile

Also, Canvas Solaris isn't as fun as BTA.

The reason this band is so unique is, like Rush, they're a trio yet they produce such a full sound and the music is a lot more exciting than other bands in the genre. Plus I think a Trio has the ability to rock a stage better then most quintets.

Edited by JakeMM626 - February 20 2011 at 22:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 12:31
^100% agreed. My own band is a trio and I've been told numerous times our sonic quality exceeds even five piece bands. Plus, there's more room to move around on stage! LOL

Canvas Solaris is cool, but like you said BTA takes the cake for this type of pummeling. Mike Lerner's solo album "Beyond The Planes of Human Existence" has been in my CD player all week; doesn't sound like much at first but with repeated listens it reveals it's true progressive beauty.
JakeMM626 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 13:38
Just listened to Barriers and Passages by Dysrhythmia. It's pretty cool and Colin Marston's Warr guitar work is unbelievably good! This is an excellent album and I'd say a good listen for anyone who likes BTA. Overall, it's slightly more tame as far as drumming and ridiculous leads go, but still quality writing.

Edited by JakeMM626 - February 21 2011 at 13:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2011 at 10:29
Dysrhythmia is great, you can tell these guys grew up listening to Gorguts. Speaking of which, anyone else here a massive Gorguts fan?!
 Post Reply Post Reply