Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMammoth (Beardfish)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mammoth (Beardfish)
    Posted: February 18 2011 at 22:01
Should I get this album?

I liked most of the Sane Day, tho it was definitely rough around the edges and had some dud tracks, especially in the middle of disc 2. I pretty much liked SIT Part 1 and loved SIT Part 2 to death. However, with Destined Solitaire it seemed they were back to being more meandering with hit and miss stuff again. Is Mammoth for me or will it be a disappointment?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 22:24
as a new fan, i am getting it. I started with SiT part 1 (which is awesome) and worked forward chronologically. SiT Part 2 is awesome, and i just got Destined Solitaire, so im still digesting it. But i think it's better than SiT 1 & 2 and cant wait for Mammoth.

I dont know their first 2 albums though, but based on what i do know, i think you should get the new album
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2011 at 23:41
Haven't heard it yet, but I found Destined Solitaire to be better than SIT. Haven't heard the first two yet though.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 00:09
Wasn't a big fan of Mammoth... Very generic, and sort of emotionless prog rock, but well-played I guess.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:15
I don't like The Sane Day, but like a lot all that came afterwards. 
Mammoth took me a while to get into and finally I came to love it. It's a much denser and richer sounding album than before, a lot of hard-rock influences in it, but there is a variety of styles influencing all songs. 
I think my next point will not be understood, but I'll write it anyway; to me it improves something that was missing in Sleeping In Traffic 1,2 and that is some strong backbone in the songs, a sound/tone that fills the empty holes in the songs. For instance I'd love to hear how they would have recorded a song like Roulette today. A great song, but it sounded as if about to crumble at times, there wasn't enough "volume" to the song, not enough density/richness to it to make it even better.
Anyway, I recommend it. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 10:17
when does this album come out. PA says March 8. Wikipedia says March 30. anyone know?
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 10:23
I think march 30, that's what the band said on facebook, although I think there's a Swedish site already selling the vinyl.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:11
well I got Mammoth yesterday, and listened to it twice yesterday, and am listening to it right now. I havent gotten through the whole thing yet, but I will today. It's under an hour.

Anyway, my first impressions are good. I think it's an improvement on DS, and is up there with the greatness of SiT2. The album is definitely a little heavier than before, almost prog-metal, but more like King Crimson heavy. My favorite tweak in their sound is the addition of the saxophone. I LOVE IT! Rikard's vocals are at their most fierce and he sings with so much intensity, not heard much on the previous 3 albums. The bass is crazy on this album; yes i said the bass. The guitars are raunchy and the keyboards are on fire!

Anyone not sure if they should get this album, or have not checked out this band yet, should get Mammoth

Who else got this album? what do you think of it?

Edited by darkshade - March 29 2011 at 12:14
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:19
I forgot to mention the album comes with a bonus DVD which has an hour long performance when they were opening for PoS during their Road Salt One tour, and it's very good. First time Ive heard (or seen) them live. Good setlist. The DVD contains a making-of Mammoth, but I haven't watched it yet.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:40
It came out in Germany last friday (25th) - like with many albums, the release dates vary from country to country.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:51
As another new fan of Beardfish, I'll probably check it out after I get SiT 1&2 and Destined Solitaire.  I bought The Sane Day on a whim when I saw it in a record shop and loved it.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 15:39
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

well I got Mammoth yesterday, and listened to it twice yesterday, and am listening to it right now. I havent gotten through the whole thing yet, but I will today. It's under an hour.

Anyway, my first impressions are good. I think it's an improvement on DS, and is up there with the greatness of SiT2. The album is definitely a little heavier than before, almost prog-metal, but more like King Crimson heavy. My favorite tweak in their sound is the addition of the saxophone. I LOVE IT! Rikard's vocals are at their most fierce and he sings with so much intensity, not heard much on the previous 3 albums. The bass is crazy on this album; yes i said the bass. The guitars are raunchy and the keyboards are on fire!

Anyone not sure if they should get this album, or have not checked out this band yet, should get Mammoth

How much of this phone-o-sax do they use? Every song? Two songs? etc...

I have Sleeping In traffic part I which i found average at best. I also have one of their early ones which I didn't care for at all. But, I like sax, and I would like something different added to their sound, so if its plentiful perhaps I'll consider.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 16:02
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I have Sleeping In traffic part I which i found average at best. I also have one of their early ones which I didn't care for at all. But, I like sax, and I would like something different added to their sound, so if its plentiful perhaps I'll consider.

The liner notes say the sax-guy is on 2 tracks, but I hear sax on 3 of the songs; and there's only 7 tracks. Either way, the sax is pretty prominent on the 15 minute mini-epic, playing the main themes and taking a nice solo. The sax is also pretty prominent on the instrumental track Akakabotu, the band also jams a little, with some jazzy sax work. I think it's a nice addition, even if the guy is only listed as a guest musician.

btw, SiT1 is my least favorite album of theirs (i dont have the first 2 albums though). SiT2 and Destined Solitaire are classic albums IMO, and Mammoth is moving its way into 'classic' territory too Cool
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 18:02

I wont repeat what everyone already said so...

It's good. Ya.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 00:58

The liner notes say the sax-guy is on 2 tracks, but I hear sax on 3 of the songs; and there's only 7 tracks. Either way, the sax is pretty prominent on the 15 minute mini-epic, playing the main themes and taking a nice solo. The sax is also pretty prominent on the instrumental track Akakabotu, the band also jams a little, with some jazzy sax work. I think it's a nice addition, even if the guy is only listed as a guest musician.

btw, SiT1 is my least favorite album of theirs (i dont have the first 2 albums though). SiT2 and Destined Solitaire are classic albums IMO, and Mammoth is moving its way into 'classic' territory too Cool

Hmm...I think I'll scour youtube for samples before deciding. At least its pretty cheap, especially with the bonus DVD, so maybe by the end of the year I'll get around to it.

But thanks. I'm glad they did either way.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:58

Hmm...I think I'll scour youtube for samples before deciding. At least its pretty cheap, especially with the bonus DVD, so maybe by the end of the year I'll get around to it.

If you do, listen to And The Stone Said: If I Could Speak which has the best sax work on the album IMO
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 17:19

If you do, listen to And The Stone Said: If I Could Speak which has the best sax work on the album IMO

Cool Thanks for the tip.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 14:32
^ no problem. Glad to help
MagnumOpus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 04:27
I like this album.
A little cold and emotionless in places, but there are some great songs on it!
 Post Reply Post Reply