Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 13:47
You guys are a real hootTongue

Putting on Ricochet now. THAT one feels like a Krautrock album though - just like their first 3 studio albums actually.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 13:52
I'll join in the fun and put on Electronic Meditation. OMMMMMM
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 14:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I used to be a tennis player back during Nam.

(*lights cigar, goes into Robert Duvall impression*)

Ahhh....I love the smell of tennis balls in the morning....

LOL
True story :
My dog(fox terrier) loves tennis balls. We go to the local courts(which are caged in and surrounded by a forest on 3 sides) and as we walk around them suddenly he makes a bee line into the bush and gets a ball. His sense of smell is incredible. He'll even be walking around the court with a tennis ball in his mouth and he'll drop that ball and go in and find another he somehow is able to smell. We have about 60 tennis balls on our property(back yard and in the house). And get this ! If we are playing with one(where i throw it and he gets it and brings it back) and i trick him by throwing a diffferent tennis ball, he knows it's not the same one and will leave it.Shocked  Crazy freaking dog man.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:23
Smile
Dogs are pretty incredible creatures when you think about it.  But yeah, tennis balls do have a very distinct smell.  I should come up with a tennis ball cologne.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:47

Smile
Dogs are pretty incredible creatures when you think about it.  But yeah, tennis balls do have a very distinct smell.  I should come up with a tennis ball cologne.

Yeah it would come in a green fuzzy bottleLOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:48
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Smile

Yeah it would come in a green fuzzy bottleLOL
And call it "40-Love"

-Kehlog Albran
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 17:42
I fully expect Swans next studio album to be full-on krautrock

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 19:00

ART FLEURY. ITALY 1976.

Something Kraut in that avant garde RPI band. Heart

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 23:58
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

ART FLEURY. ITALY 1976.

Something Kraut in that avant garde RPI band. Heart

Fantastic touch ... reminds me something like Traummaschine (band).
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I fully expect Swans next studio album to be full-on krautrock

Um, closer to Psych than Kraut for me. LOL
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 20:55
Well the next album (The Seer, with the studio version of "The Apostate") be the album to get Swans added to PA?
Hmmm....!Smile
Look forward to hearing it in any case.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 22:13
Hell, I'm already planning on suggesting them based on their last album, but suggested Angels of Light first as a pilot of sorts.  If they get added, I'll be making a Swans thread shortly after; if not, I'll wait until next album.

Probably not for krautrock though LOL
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 22:14
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Hell, I'm already planning on suggesting them based on their last album, but suggested Angels of Light first as a pilot of sorts.  If they get added, I'll be making a Swans thread shortly after; if not, I'll wait until next album.

Probably not for krautrock though LOL

Didn't Angels of Light get shot down?

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 22:27
No, one collab voted move and nobody else has posted yet

They are on RIO chart, I would have thought eclectic or maybe even folk over that

Edited by Triceratopsoil - June 14 2012 at 22:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 13:39
Definitely have to check out Swans now...
Thanks Colin.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 13:40
I didn't like the last Swans album all that much (though it wasn't bad), but if the next album has more songs like this, I'll be a very happy guy.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 13:56
Where to start Steve? 
As you know I am pretty eclectic, but perhaps I lean towards the psychedelic side of things, although I must admit feeling somewhat disturbingly attracted to albums such as the Current 93 debut, which just listened to again for the first time in over a year. 

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 14:10
They had 2 distinct phases/styles over their history, with a brief "transitional" style in between.  I guess that makes 3 styles.  Whatever.

Anyway, the early stuff is percussive, dissonant, pounding, slow, industrial post-punk.  The 2-disc "Filth/Body to Body, Job to Job" CD (containing 2 full albums) is the best I've heard of that era.  Very desperate, sad stuff. 

The later stuff is much more melodic, but its appeal comes from expansive, huge arrangements of cinematic tragedy and despair, rather than the beat-your-head-against-the-wall variety of the early years. Occasionally they got pretty experimental in this phase too - and "Soundtracks for the Blind" is my favorite one I've heard of this type, a very long double CD album.  It's got quite a few ambient instrumentals I like, plus a real intense 15 minute monster that builds very slowly to a horrific climax.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 15 2012 at 14:12

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 14:15
Thanks buddy - that was a beautiful answer, and one I could useThumbs Up

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 17:59

I didn't like the last Swans album all that much (though it wasn't bad), but if the next album has more songs like this, I'll be a very happy guy.

I really liked their most recent one.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Where to start Steve? 
As you know I am pretty eclectic, but perhaps I lean towards the psychedelic side of things, although I must admit feeling somewhat disturbingly attracted to albums such as the Current 93 debut, which just listened to again for the first time in over a year. 

I'm going to say The Great Annihilator - their token post-punk album - or Soundtracks for the Blind, which is their longest and most diverse work.

The early stuff is really ugly in a way that appeals to me, but probably not most people.

Also, this is my favourite Swans song

Also also, C93 is great

Edited by Triceratopsoil - June 15 2012 at 18:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 64>