Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:28
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

This is wonderful, Pierre!

HAs this been reissued on CD? I was looking for them in Discogs but not much luck! Help please!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:55
^ Yes Michael, I have the 2004 sunrise records reissue CD. I agree this is a great album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:11
Thanks Sagi! I just looked up Syn-Phonic, they seem to have it listed on their site, from 1971, yes?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:18
Hmmm..yeah might be 71'. Synphonic has it on LP?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:42
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Oh, no, this was a CD. I've definitely drifted more towards CD's these days, just trying to look to the future space-wise!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:54
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Oh, no, this was a CD. I've definitely drifted more towards CD's these days, just trying to look to the future space-wise!
Yes me too, but not only because of space, also because of sound quality and bonus tracks Smile
Anyway if you like that sort of stuff, I mean british jazz rock with that brass sound ala The Web then this album will fit you nicely. BTW The Web - I Spider is much more recommended if you don't know it Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 04:04
I've got the `I Spider' album, and I've really come to love it! I used to find the vocals a bit awful, but don't notice them so much now. I really dig the related `Samurai' album, that's the one that made me look into The Web in the first place!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 04:09

I've got the `I Spider' album, and I've really come to love it! I used to find the vocals a bit awful, but don't notice them so much now. I really dig the related `Samurai' album, that's the one that made me look into The Web in the first place!
Ahhhhh... the vocals of Dave Lawson, very controversial indeed. I personally think he's an awful singer but I still like Greenslade (not because of him) and I Spider.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 04:20
I find him unbearable on the first Greenslade album, but found him in better form on the `Bedside Manners Are Extra' followup, I reviewed that a couple of months back. That's a nice undemanding album, really upbeat and energetic.

Just looking into them, I've never actually heard `Spyglass Guest'. I do have the LP of `Time and Tide', but not played it in years.

Speaking of Greenslade, I've never actually listened to any Colosseum albums. Can you recommend any?

(sorry, I know this is getting off the Krautrock topic!)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 04:36
Well of course you should definitley go for Valentyne Suite, it's a very appreciated album around here and for a good reason. I personally prefer it over the ones we've talked about.

And on the krautrock side, I'm playing this one right now

Edited by Sagichim - October 06 2014 at 04:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 13:21
Thank you, Sagi, I was always curious about that `Valentyne Suite' album, and I just passed up a CD of it for a few dollars a few days back! I'll try and get back to the store and snap it up tomorrow.

Oustanding c hoice with the Electric Orange `Volume 10' album!! How are you finding it? Will easily end up in my top 10 of 2014!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 13:26
I'll second the recommendation for "Valenyne Suite".  Not just for the title suite, either.  The shorter songs on that album are the best things they've done, imo.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 13:42

Thank you, Sagi, I was always curious about that `Valentyne Suite' album, and I just passed up a CD of it for a few dollars a few days back! I'll try and get back to the store and snap it up tomorrow.

Oustanding c hoice with the Electric Orange `Volume 10' album!! How are you finding it? Will easily end up in my top 10 of 2014!
As I'm not an ambient/electronic kinda guy this one was really good and managed to keep my interest throughout the whole album, but I guess it's because it was all wrapped with psychedelia. 

There's something very appealing in this one, it breathes and flows very easily,definitely an improvement over their previous album. But this was only my second listen so I'll have more thoughts later Tongue

And good luck with Colosseum, I remember I got my copy for a few dollars too.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 07:19
I know Hosianna Mantra pretty much everywhere is heralded as the shining beacon of Popol Vuh's oevre, but am I the only one who prefers most of the other releases surrounding it? I'd take Seligpreisung and Letzte Tage, Letzte Nachte over it any day. Two releases that also happen to include the wonderful stylings of Connie VeitHeart
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I know Hosianna Mantra pretty much everywhere is heralded as the shining beacon of Popol Vuh's oevre, but am I the only one who prefers most of the other releases surrounding it? I'd take Seligpreisung and Letzte Tage, Letzte Nachte over it any day. Two releases that also happen to include the wonderful stylings of Connie VeitHeart

The first 15 albums for me ... and that's it! I don't need more.

All of them perfect in their own way!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:16
I think I have everything up until and including Nosferatu. Not a dud in sight and furthermore, as you say, each of em perfect in their own little way. I do prefer the early releases though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 10:48
Look what I found in the nearby record shop!!!!Big smile
Some 35 minutes of CAN jamming away in the studio divided into two tracks: Auf Die Eihnbahnstrasse pt 1 and 2. Oh and it's from the 1971 Tago Mago sessions!
and the proto CAN album (the whole early line-up with Mooney on vocals) that always keeps escaping me. Not today though hah!

Alright, no more vinyl for this puppy or I'll be living off shoes and old mustard fumes for the last bit of OctoberPinch

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 24 2014 at 11:18

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:48
Holy schnikeys, David.  What a catch!!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:54
MIAMMMMM

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 03:57

Some more Krautrock for you - this time from my band. This is an 8 minute preview of a 36 minute track. I got a little enthusiastic. ;-)

Oh yes, sorry, the graphics are from an excellent screensaver called "Electric Sheep". 

Edited by Davesax1965 - October 25 2014 at 03:59

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 64>