Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 05:54
My browser is acting all funny and won't let me hear your clip Dave. Nuts, I was really looking forward to some Saturday morning Britkraut adorning the apartment.

So I was looking round different websites for Krautrock releases, and saw (perhaps not too surprisingly) that the term Krautrock is used very loosely throughout the net - on certain occasions describing, what I personally believe to be, glorified synth pop with a motorik groove. Anyways, I've also been so lucky to have stumbled over a sea of releases, that not only aren't featured on PA and probably should be, one of them even sported an old fave of mine that surprise surprise still is making music. 
This is a record from 2013 featuring legendary NEU! member Klaus Dinger......and I have never heard of peep of this collab, NEVER...and I do regularly surf the net for upcoming 'experimental' releasesConfused
Klaus Dinger + Japandorf - Japandorf (2013)
Well at least Klaus still looks like a proper KrautrockerLOL

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 25 2014 at 05:56
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 02:39
This band was a short-lived side project for Uli Trepte, original bassist for German krautrock band, Guru Guru. 'Bitkicks' was recorded in 1975 and 'discovered' just a few years ago,by Uli. "Schnellbedienung" (English translation: Quick Service) is probably the best cut here, almost fourteen minutes of experimental cosmic madness with elements of jazz clearly intact. "Hacksack Serenade" makes for a good jam session, perhaps improvised. "Psychedelic Review" is an impressive tune that goes on for nearly thirty minutes but it appears that the entire band is completely cutting loose. Better than Trepte's 'Real Time Music' effort. Should appeal to fans of Faust, Ax Genrich, Neu! and maybe SOME fans of Can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkh7cZPbFmY

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 05:58
Look what FINALLY showed up today!

Lord, the saga it took to end up in my hands. I ordered this almost 8 weeks ago, ended up having to contact the Discogs vendor, and he sent me a tracking number. Turns out it actually `arrived' a few days after he sent it, but it went `missing in action' (and not in the good Chuck Norris way). About now I'm thinking it's been stolen off my doorstep, or got sent to the wrong house altogether. After getting the post office to look into it, the vendor pleading ignorance, I find out today a neighbour (who, shall we say, is `chemically addled' most of the time! has had it for over six weeks now! He signed for it, but couldn't work out whether it was something he'd ordered or not!

Anyway, glad I get to listen to it now! Thank you David and Pierre for the recommendation!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 08:14
Clap
Fantastic Kangaroo!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....or else you can always pitch it back to your neighbourTongue
Have you had a chance to spin this yet?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 08:16
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

This band was a short-lived side project for Uli Trepte, original bassist for German krautrock band, Guru Guru. 'Bitkicks' was recorded in 1975 and 'discovered' just a few years ago,by Uli. "Schnellbedienung" (English translation: Quick Service) is probably the best cut here, almost fourteen minutes of experimental cosmic madness with elements of jazz clearly intact. "Hacksack Serenade" makes for a good jam session, perhaps improvised. "Psychedelic Review" is an impressive tune that goes on for nearly thirty minutes but it appears that the entire band is completely cutting loose. Better than Trepte's 'Real Time Music' effort. Should appeal to fans of Faust, Ax Genrich, Neu! and maybe SOME fans of Can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkh7cZPbFmY

Big smileThanks Pierre, really enjoyed that.
One more for the list it seems! 

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Clap
Fantastic Kangaroo!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....or else you can always pitch it back to your neighbourTongue
Have you had a chance to spin this yet?

Well, I was spinning Youtube clips of it in the meantime, during those weeks when it was AWOL! I've now ripped the CD for the car, so I'm starting to give it the proper spins it needs. It is absolutely fascinating, really daring stuff that sounds like nothing else. I love how the female vocals are siren-like and dreamy one second, intense the next! The music has some blissful moments, then nightmarish and schizophrenic the next like I'm waiting in purgatory where both my sins and good deeds are being weighed up. Dirty groovy f**k-off bass sound too.

I'm sure I'll cobble together a rambling review at some point in the near future!

I've got a few other of your and Pierre's suggestions about to arrive in an order in the next week, I'll post them in here when they land...unless they fall victim to another `incident'
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:16
Been digging a bit of Duul II the last few days (in between stints of The Endless River) and also watch my DVD live '75 and I think.......I'm in......... love with Renate. Think I might spin Wolf City.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:20
Ohh you've got yet another shipment coming? You lucky manPartyBeer

A bit curious to see what you end up with - both Pierre and I have sprinkled a fair bit of recs here and there (to say the leastLOLEmbarrassed). 

I totally get what you're saying regarding Traumspiel, which is something I tried relegating in my review of it as well. 
Btw another thing that I mentioned is how much it feels like Clivage's Mixtus Orbis - a record notorious for not sounding like anything else....have you heard it?

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 03 2014 at 03:21

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Been digging a bit of Duul II the last few days (in between stints of The Endless River) and also watch my DVD live '75 and I think.......I'm in......... love with Renate. Think I might spin Wolf City.....

Give it a spin thenBig smile Love love love Wolf City. I have a remastered cd with a couple of delicious previously unreleased bonus tracks on. Absolutely fantastic. If you haven't heard it then I wholeheartedly recommend this little beauty:

Kindermörderlied (Childkillingsong?!?!????Shocked)

Renate is really great on those early albums too, I perfectly agree with you. There's a witch thing about her that would've gone well with something like The Blairwitch ProjectLOL

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 03 2014 at 03:27

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:35
^ Cool David - will check the clip out - currently on Green Bubble Raincoat Man. Yeah - Renate the Witchy Woman . Love the highly creative Meid/Fichelscher rhythm section here, Rogner's spacey keyboards, Karrer und Weinzierl - man this mob is just FANTASTIC.
Jail-House Frog.....!! There must've been supersonic acid in their water supply......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:43
Oh yes...the coolaide had definitely been spiked with other things than mere sugarLOL
Two of the ADll guys that don't get a lot of mentions are Lothar Meid and Peter Leopold, and I happen to think both of them really added something wildly unique and creative to their respective instruments. I've said it a couple of hundred times before but here goes again: a guy like Peter Leopold is practically IMPOSSIBLE to recreate behind the drum kit. Give me Peart, Harrison or Palmer - sure they all do tricky stuff, but with Leopold it feels so...errm wrong and counter-intuitive but somehow brilliant. 
Meid is criminally under appreciated as a bassman too.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:57
^ excellent words there. Leopold is (was ) a great drummer. Meid on the bass too - great, unassuming - very clever and tricky. Always on something, too. Love 'em too much. I must be re-discovering the Duul....
Carnival In Babylon now....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:02
Carnival in Babylon is the album of theirs that I got the latest. It's still fresh to my ears. Then again, we don't share the same history like I do with Wolf City, Yeti and Lemminge. 
Another one of my faves is the often overlooked Vive La Trance, which I think of as a sister album to Wolf City. I often spin them one after the other - sorta like a makeshift double-albumBig smile 

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:07
VLT is full of great stuff. No complaints there.
Even Made In Germany (I have the single US record) has some killer stuff on it. Would love to hear the full version someday.
Falk uses a Farfisa too
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:10
You and me and that Farfisa, TomLOL God I love that thing....and I'd wish it was put to more use in modern productions too. Someone call up Froese or Steve Wilson!

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:19
That bloody keyboard produces magical sounds - I want one.....
Irmin Schmidt too, Ralf Hutter, Edgar, Klaus and the dude in Fantasy and also Stopka from Dom. All Farfisa.
Anyway, I think Karrer is a damn fine musician - guitar, violin and sax. He plays them all quite well too. They may be a bit harsh-sounding, but they are very accomplished musicians. If it ain't a bit rough, it ain't Krautrock.
Guru Guru didn't have much keyboards, but they had Mani.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:23
Yeah I'm fairly chuffed that they decided to leave out the keyboard in Guru Guru. Talk about mental overloadLOL What with Ax' guitar and those flick flacking drums??? It'd be foolish and dangerous to push one's mind that far.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:28
What's the idea of Conny Plank playing keyboards on Kan Guru ?? I don't hear a note of keyboard. They might have fallen off my copy......even some reviewers comment on Conny's kerboards there
Man, Hawknose Harlequin is whacked-out (in a good way, mind) - more trippy Farfisa from Karl-Heinz Hausmann !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 03 2014 at 04:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:31
Yeah...I've wondered about that too. I think the credits may have something to do with the effects that were conjured up in the studio. Oxymoron fx has this jello-like section, where it sounds like some sort of filter is dropped on the drums, in particular. As far as any real keys? Go fish.

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:48
Some Farfisa cake. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gum2uUoauXQ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 64>