Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 19:33
Kindermörderlied. Gosh. Really out of this world, Dave.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 01:49
While we're at it, I think ADII is another example of the Middle Eastern fixation in Krautrock though there it's more specifically Central Asian and not Egyptian. (isn't the band name a reference to Turkish folklore?)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 02:12
This arrived from my order at the Lasers Edge Blowout sale, got it for a few dollars:

Gave half of it a listen last night...what can I say?! Although there's a few moments that feature some slightly dated 80's synth/programming, the album is really superb! Plenty to still associate it with proper Kraan, still eccentric, inventive, jazzy, quirky and energetic. Very impressed.

I also took the opportunity at the sale to buy a nice CD version of the following, to upgrade from my vinyl copy:

This Guru Guru one always makes me smile and puts me in a good mood. Although slightly more accessible, it still shows a cool sense of humour and the eccentricity the band is known for. Even though it's winter down here, it's one of my favourite summer albums.

And I bet if one of those beach-bum singers like Jack Johnson, etc covered `Tomorrow', and they stuck it in a Jennifer Aniston romantic comedy or some sh*t, it would be a MASSIVE hit!

(but let's hope that never happens )
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 14:14
Nachtfahrt! LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 14:20
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

This arrived from my order at the Lasers Edge Blowout sale, got it for a few dollars:

Gave half of it a listen last night...what can I say?! Although there's a few moments that feature some slightly dated 80's synth/programming, the album is really superb! Plenty to still associate it with proper Kraan, still eccentric, inventive, jazzy, quirky and energetic. Very impressed.

I love that album.  "Wintruper Echo" , "Elfenbein", and "Playing for You" are three of my favorite Kraan tunes, and all for different reasons.  The first is a hoppin' instrumental, the second a moody multi-layered ballad type thing, and the third is a BALLS OUT ROCKER, MANG! Cool

Edited by HolyMoly - August 20 2013 at 14:21
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Nachtfahrt! LOL
Hey, if you gotta fahrt, it may as well be at nacht!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 14:30
Please explain the Nachtfart joke for my ignorance, friends!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 14:40
Sorry Mike it's just my childish sense of humor, I thought maybe it could mean Night Farts.Please don't pay any attention.

Edited by Sagichim - August 20 2013 at 14:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 15:39
Ohhhh! I get it! I get jokes!
Sorry, that was a lame old Simpsons line!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:12
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Haven't been to this forum for years so I apologize if this has been brought up before over the course of a 40-something page thread, but Krautrock and the related progressive electronic scene's basically the only kind of prog I still listen to regularly... and I've started wondering what it is with the Ancient Egyptian vibe much of that music gives off to me, more so than with other countries' prog/psych rock scenes.

In the cases of Agitation Free and Ash Ra Tempel it's obviously intentional, but I also get some of that vibe from the first Cosmic Jokers LP as well as quite a bit of Tangerine Dream's material: Phaedra, Rubycon, especially Ricochet as well as the Tangerine Tree recordings from Le Ponts de Cé 1973 and Adelaide 1975 concerts. Not sure how much of it's just me, though, going by the titles of those two TD studio albums it's probably more a Greek/Roman mythological atmosphere they were aiming for.

I get what you're saying about those Egyptian vibes, although I figure it's down to all the movies we've seen over the years with that ever so "Egyptian" vibe. Of course most of the pioneering Krautrockers would tell you, that they tried to start from scratch, carte blanche, just to get that foul taste of Nazism and forced conformity out of their mouths. They came pretty close, but there's a good deal of Middle Eastern music in there - as well as ragas, late 60s American experimental psych and the blues.

If you're keen on those Egyptian moods, then you probably know this one by Brainticket. One of my fave Krautrock songs, Egyptian Kings:

Nå ja for helvede, fedt at se endnu en dansker på arkiverne. Ren smør 40.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 20 2013 at 16:20
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:21
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Kindermörderlied. Gosh. Really out of this world, Dave.

I have been playing that almost incessantly for the past couple of weeksBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:23
What a masterpiece, David. The album is good, but not as good as this haunted song.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I also took the opportunity at the sale to buy a nice CD version of the following, to upgrade from my vinyl copy:

This Guru Guru one always makes me smile and puts me in a good mood. Although slightly more accessible, it still shows a cool sense of humour and the eccentricity the band is known for. Even though it's winter down here, it's one of my favourite summer albums.

And I bet if one of those beach-bum singers like Jack Johnson, etc covered `Tomorrow', and they stuck it in a Jennifer Aniston romantic comedy or some sh*t, it would be a MASSIVE hit!

(but let's hope that never happens )

I thought I was the only one who loved that Guru Guru album. I just listened to it yesterday actually. Like I mentioned there, it is really an awesome combo of Copacabana, Oktoberfest and jolly jazz rock. 
Hell, even if I prefer him more loose and unpredictable, Mani still cooks on this baby!

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

What a masterpiece, David. The album is good, but not as good as this haunted song.

Wolf City is one of my favourite albums, so I don't entirely agree with you monsieur duckTongue
It is however a truly haunting tune that Kindermörderlied(Still can't get used to that title though...creeps me out).

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:41
I was talking of the brainticket album, my friend. Wolf city is my favorite german pop kraut album too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 17:00
Sorry Pierre, my badEmbarrassed

If it helps, I now entirely agree with your statementLOL The album is good, but not anywhere near this magnificent opener. Brainticket's best is their debut imo. Freaky, strange, psychedelic and incredibly put together.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 18:50
This was a nice surprise to break up my bouts of painting the house! Have any of you guys bought or seen this DVD?

Will give it a watch soon and report back.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 03:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I get what you're saying about those Egyptian vibes, although I figure it's down to all the movies we've seen over the years with that ever so "Egyptian" vibe. Of course most of the pioneering Krautrockers would tell you, that they tried to start from scratch, carte blanche, just to get that foul taste of Nazism and forced conformity out of their mouths. They came pretty close, but there's a good deal of Middle Eastern music in there - as well as ragas, late 60s American experimental psych and the blues.

Yeah, that probably explains a lot. That the German/Italian/Japanese prog/psych scenes would have thought much further outside the box than US/UK prog by default, since most of the musicians had grown up in the knowledge that their parents' generation had been on the wrong side during WW2. You're gotta get some interesting art out of a generation gap that big.

The strange thing is that the Germans don't quite have as much of a history with interacting with that part of the world as the British or French did, though. Then again there really was more of a general non-Western influence in Krautrock (see also Can or Popol Vuh) which was one of several major directions, and I guess the Egyptian stuff would come naturally since that's been one of the most famous non-Western cultures in Europe since the Greek/Roman antiquity. Another current being the integration of ideas from avantgarde 20th classical which is also where the progressive electronic stuff came from..

Thanks for the link to the Brainticket song, by the way.

Quote Nå ja for helvede, fedt at se endnu en dansker på arkiverne. Ren smør 40.

Ved du om UMUR stadig poster her? Kunne ret godt lide hans anmeldelser på siden.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 12:18
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah, that probably explains a lot. That the German/Italian/Japanese prog/psych scenes would have thought much further outside the box than US/UK prog by default, since most of the musicians had grown up in the knowledge that their parents' generation had been on the wrong side during WW2. You're gotta get some interesting art out of a generation gap that big.

The strange thing is that the Germans don't quite have as much of a history with interacting with that part of the world as the British or French did, though. Then again there really was more of a general non-Western influence in Krautrock (see also Can or Popol Vuh) which was one of several major directions, and I guess the Egyptian stuff would come naturally since that's been one of the most famous non-Western cultures in Europe since the Greek/Roman antiquity. Another current being the integration of ideas from avantgarde 20th classical which is also where the progressive electronic stuff came from..

Thanks for the link to the Brainticket song, by the way.

Quote Nå ja for helvede, fedt at se endnu en dansker på arkiverne. Ren smør 40.

Ved du om UMUR stadig poster her? Kunne ret godt lide hans anmeldelser på siden.

Funny you mention this. I have been thinking much the same for years now. You hear a lot of similarities - the wild unhinged experimentations, the feeling of taking things as far as you can possibly go - either through music, literature, drugs or everything combined. 
Then again, if you take a look at Sweden during the same time, you'll hear acts like Ålgarnas Trädgård, Kebhnekaise, Fläsket Brinner, International Harvester and Archimedes Badkar - all of them sounding incredibly close to what the German scene was doing, although often spliced together with a heavy sludgy form of Nordic folk rock. Archimedes Badkar brought in some fusion as well. 
Anyway, as much as I believe there to be similarities, as well as many a groups from the Japanese, German and Italian scene that really did protest sonically against their own cultural heritage, I still think Krautrock, as a style of music, can come from just about anywhere. 

Hey I just thought of something. If Krautrock is to be expected from nations recovering from a bad rule hangover, then I'm definitely looking forward to hear what the Egyptians themselves come up with, when they hopefully get their country back togetherBig smile

Jeg tror UMUR er logget på nu, så ja metal danskeren er her skam stadig.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 12:55
You can also see a creepy upside-down version of that phenomenon in how eagerly so many metal groups from ex-USSR countries have embraced Fascist ideals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 64>