Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 08:51
Glad you like it, Damo. Love the cover too !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 09:27
Oh and BTW, Damo. Prog is the country of Cheesy Voices Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 11:19
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 11:31
^ Nice album overall, but I was never blown away.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:01
i like da krautrock
its the nice

Neu Can Amon Dull Faust yay
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:26
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Oh and BTW, Damo. Prog is the country of Cheesy Voices Wink
LOL

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 06:51
Guys, have any of you heard the debut self titled album from Walrus? Certainly not a total Krautrock album, but the first track and bits in between come across like some of Neu, Can, etc. On the Archives it's listed under Psychedelic/Spacerock. It's certainly got that plodding, repetitive quality that a lot of Krauty stuff has.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42003

Would love some thoughts on it from those who've heard it?

Dave and Sagi, I'm thinking it might be something you would both enjoy?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 07:01
Heh I had that pegged as an old album from the 70s.... and then I find out that it's a brand new band. Wow that's two modern Krautrock(ish) acts I've found todayBig smile
The other one is Eat Lights Become Lights - here's a tune for you gents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVopL53WqM

Walrus though is definitely on my check list Michael - thanks for the heads up KangarooThumbs Up

Well shiver me timbers! I just found the opening cut 'Tromsø lll' on YouTube:

Listening right now. Seems like a perfect fit for me with that dark motorik propulsion it's got going for itBig smile

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 20 2013 at 07:07
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 07:06
No worries, Dave, I'll be putting up a review in the next day or so!

To be honest, it's just at home with things like Morte Macabre, Anekdoten, lots of dank dreary Mellotron ambience. But it's got a ton of plodding bass, very droning - just in a good way!

A pinch of Steven Wilson's Incredible Expanding Mindf**k project too!

Not a classic, and short at only 33 minutes, but a decent little debut!

Oh yeah, and I wish I'd got this one on vinyl, I cheaped out and got the CD!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 07:13
Looking forward to your reviewSmile 

....and what's that? There was vinyl at your disposal and you went for the cd? Are you by any chance coming down with something?LOL

All kidding aside, I too find myself reaching for cds at the moment. I just ordered Klaus Schulze & Günther Schichert's 1975 sessions along with the Syd Arthur album from last year (Man these guys are absolutely terrific!!! One of the most promising new acts, I kid you not! Especially if you're into Canterbury - the melodic Caravan approach that isWink), so I did what I'd promised myself not to, and am as a consequence again in the finance pits... Oh well, I'll be receiving some incredible music soonBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 07:26
I think I'll get that Schulze/Schichert one as well!

You know what Dave, I'm starting to go for a nice mix of CD's and vinyl, probably because the CD's cost a fraction of the price and weigh next to nothing. I'm certainly not giving up on vinyl, just limiting it to the more special releases now!

I know nothing of Syd Arthur, but I like your Caravan-like description!

Actually, the review I'll be putting up right after the Walrus one is the live Phlox album `Vali', one of my albums of the year! An unbelievably good Canterbury styled blast, more Egg, Soft Machine, National Health than Caravan or Hatfield, with some nice youthful energy on their side! I hope you've heard this one!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40561
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 07:47
If I understand well this conversation, David is the Eggman and you are the Walrus.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 08:04
You crack me up PierreLOL and yes of course I'm the eggman - who else? Cuckookatjooh!

Michael: I too have decided to go for a mixed collection. There are so many albums with extra material that you just don't get, if you purchase the vinyl version. Klaus Schulze is a perfect example of that. Even if I would love to own everything he's ever put out on vinyl, there's too much music I'll be missing out onOuch Case in point that new release with Schickert. It's only the cd that sports 3 tracks. If you go for vinyl - it's the 45 minute one alone.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 08:08
Well Pierre, my middle name is Paul, and if I recall `The Walrus was Paul'!

Dave, I started noticing that the shipping costs alone for LP's were crippling me, particularly if I got a few at a time. Also, with my turntable now out of action, many of my vinyl are becoming...purely decorative, or the worlds biggest coasters lol!

Well, you've sold me on the CD version of that Schulze release right there!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 08:26
I know exactly what you mean. The times I go for vinyl is the times I see them in the shopsBig smile The few albums I've ordered online left me with a huge hole in my pocket (Damn you Faust IV and Vespero Subkraut!!!!!!!Angry)

So cool you're getting that Schulze/Schickert release btw. Man I can just tell that it's going to be a match made in heaven. I know it in my bones! Their individual styles should marry well with each other, believe you me. Schickert's echo guitars sound like electronic ripples for lack of a better wording, and I can just picture them alongside Schulze's vast interplanetary soundscapesBig smile Arghhh nuts! I can't wait nowLOL

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 23:57

The Gaslamp Killer - I Spit On Your Grave

iamandisnt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamandisnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 17:04
There is a book and vinyl box set with Damo Suzuki coming out on Clouds Hill on December 13.

Edited by iamandisnt - November 28 2013 at 17:10
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 06:06
Yeah, I even got an e-mail from the man himself advertising that boxset personally.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 07:41
Damo is a legend !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 13:51

絶対的に
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 64>