Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 03:13
Hey gang! I just listened to Deuter's D yestarday and enjoyed it immensly for its proportion of ambient and more melodic stuff with a nice selection of instruments. What albums would you guys recommend up that alley? Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 08:08
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Hey gang! I just listened to Deuter's D yestarday and enjoyed it immensly for its proportion of ambient and more melodic stuff with a nice selection of instruments. What albums would you guys recommend up that alley? Smile

You have to admire someone with the nerve to entitle a song Krishna Eating Fish And Chips Star.

My suggestion is And The Waters Opened by Between (1973).

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2016 at 09:20
I thought some of you guys might be interested in this.
Yes, it is an "introduction", but it's phenomenally written, exceptionally interesting, and it is just dead good in my opinion. Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 08:38
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

You have to admire someone with the nerve to entitle a song Krishna Eating Fish And Chips Star.

My suggestion is And The Waters Opened by Between (1973).

I like his early work, and the first 4 or 5 albums, even though they state that he was a part of this and that. I do not "see" that connection in the music at all ... I just hear and feel the music for what it is. The first album is very different from the rest in my book.

BTW ... some folks might find interesting the post I made on the CAN thread about improvisations. It will likely get some of us to go re-listen to some of the things listed in this thread!

Edited by moshkito - July 11 2016 at 09:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 03:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Resurrecting the Krautrock Space? Why indeed. There's loads of fun to be had in the bushes with music like this:

Shocked sounds great indeed, luvit! Big smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 03:38
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

An beautiful ultra-obscure gem:
Air - Teilweise Kake... Aber Stereo
authentic kraut scape based upon weird keys StarStarStar
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 03:41
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 03:46
Afficher limage dorigine

Wink
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 07:56
I'm listening a reissue of In Den Gärten Pharaos from Popol Vuh, there's two unrealeased tracks as bonus, they're excellent!
But i could only find part 1 on Youtube Cry
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 07:56
I've just finished listening to Sternenmaskerade once again and it has confirmed to be one of my favorite krautrock albums of all time. Awesomesauce!
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 10:54

I thought some of you guys might be interested in this.
Yes, it is an "introduction", but it's phenomenally written, exceptionally interesting, and it is just dead good in my opinion. Smile

It is a good article thanks, I was interested to see Manuel was classically trained before taking up the blues. I'm not a great fan of the blues in general, but make an exception for Look At Your Sun Star.

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 11:11
I've just been through the Krautrock albums I have looping round on my iPod to see how many there are for each year, excluding two or three much later reunion type efforts, with the following results suggesting the golden age only really lasted about five years. I should perhaps also mention that Delay 1968 wasn't actually released until 1981 and everything on my list after 1981 is the tail off from Tangerine Dream.

1968 *

1969 ***

1970 ********************

1971 ****************************

1972 *****************************

1973 ***********************

1974 ***********************

1975 ************

1976 *********

1977 ******

1978 *****

1979 ****

1980 ***

1982 **

1983 **

1984 *

1986 **

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 12:59
^^Ash Ra Tempel's music has a lot of blues influences, something that Manuel often remarked. The opening track from Schwingungen is just straight-up cosmic blues. That influence also reverbrates on Seven Up.
Here is the interview with Manuel by FACT magazine (which I consider one of the finest music mags these days, along with The Wire).
He also says about how one of the pieces on New Age Of Earth is inspired by Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross", just electronic and modern. I really find it fascinating how one totally different piece from totally different circles, eras, movements, genres could have inspired that one. Check it out, the interview is pure awesomeness! Or is it just me, the ultra fan of Manuel Gottsching?LOL

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 07:59
I'm glad to see Manuel survived the 70s and it was good to hear about the different sorts of music he produced. I hadn't heard his solo work but had a listen to Inventions on YouTube and as I thought from what he was saying in the interview he'd had similar ideas of echoing the guitar to Achim Reichel on his A.R. & Machines albums.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 10:52
I'm currently having a good listen to the Krautrock - Music for Your Brain box sets I bought between 2010 and 2013 when Vol. 5 came out. Amazingly there was still good music left to be put on CD 30 Star.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 17:23
^ Sounds fantastic. Shocked
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 11:50
i had to do 32 hours overtime for work this week and finally got a chance to invest some of the profits in more of the albums sampled in the above compilation. The others will be coming on CD but this one was only available on MP3 so I'm listening to it now Cool.
Ulrich View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 16:10
For anyone interested, I just published a book on krautrock:
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:30
Thanks Ulrich, and I'm glad to see you have ebook formats available for when it's disappeared from the bookshops Thumbs Up.

What I most enjoy about 1970s Krautrock is the way the musicians seemed able to do what they liked, maybe take a bit from other music or possibly experiment wildly, and the record companies would still release whatever they came up with. British prog rock may arguably have produced a number of more impressive technical and compositional works but I feel some of the fun and atmosphere was lost due to a desire to make "serious" music and also in the pressure to sound distinctive and unique - for example once Jethro Tull had used the flute, anyone else would have been considered derivative, but people in Germany didn't appear to worry about such things Cool.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 08:05
It's just as well there is a Kindle edition as I was able to read the Amazon "Look Inside" excerpt at which point I decided it was too academic for me and bought David Stubbs' "Future Days: Krautrock and the Building of Modern Germany" instead. This is more what I was looking for and I've so far enjoyed the chapters on Amon Düül II and Can Star.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364>