Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes Rumor-Geoff Downes to return?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 04:50
What I'd like to do is get a new Yes album and not know the slightest thing about it. Just listen to it and then (and not before) see who plays what on it.

Whatever happens, they won't be able to do it right for just about anyone, except if it's Anderson, Bruford, Squire, Howe, and Wakeman. Possibly that new boy White instead of Bruford, but even that's stretching it a bit.

And that's just not fair.

In their position I'd probably not release anything at all, after all there's no earner in releasing albums any more.
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 10:14
Wait and see.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 00:43
LATEST REPORTS ARE THAT BENOIT DAVID WAS JUST SACKED, AND JON ANDERSON IS BACK IN!! Clap
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 02:30
April Fool joke, I guess?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 06:48
I don't get why so many people are angry about whatever Yes decides to do (including call themselves Yes).

In probably ten years (maybe more), there won't be a Yes at all.  Mortality and all that.  These gentlemen have given us plenty of us fine music over the years.  If they want to record an album with people farting into a microphone (whether it includes Bruford or White), so what?  They have engraved themselves in the anals of rock history already.  Anything else is just gravy! 
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 09:55
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

If they want to record an album with people farting into a microphone (whether it includes Bruford or White), so what? 
It couldn't be worse than death metal growls. Smile
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 10:05

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

LATEST REPORTS ARE THAT BENOIT DAVID WAS JUST SACKED, AND JON ANDERSON IS BACK IN!! Clap

And Bruford came out of retirement the band made Close To The Edge Part Two...

......and they all lived happily, ever, after.

The End. Awwwwwwww!

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 10:20
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

And Bruford came out of retirement the band made Close To The Edge Part Two...The Seasoned Witch Disco

......and they all lived happily, ever, after.

The End. Awwwwwwww!

Fixed that for you.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:37
Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

Bring back Patrick Moraz!Clap

Or bring back Rick Wakeman Wink
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:39

What reports? Last I heard Jon Anderson was just touring with Rick Wakeman, and other than that he didnt do anything
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 19:01
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

What reports? Last I heard Jon Anderson was just touring with Rick Wakeman, and other than that he didnt do anything

Heh!  I guess I did get ONE poster with my April Fool's joke!  

The site "Tales from the Edge" on Facebook is ABLAZE with fan comments about all this, highly recommended for some laughs!

Personally, I think Squire & Co. treated Anderson like crap - if they wanted to tour, they should have formed a band with a different name.  Oh well, as usual, the Yes Drama continues....(literally!)
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 20:13
An official statement will be forthcoming but we would like to at least put some facts forward.

Oliver is not voluntarily leaving YES and, as of this moment in time, we do not know which of Oliver's many contributions to the recording will exist on the new YES record.

Oliver wanted to stay focused on the music for the 'Rite of Spring' tour and felt his primary role was to put on the best possible show for the fans who have paid to see the band. [...]

Thanks again for all the support that has been made for Oliver either through direct emails to the website, via Facebook and MySpace, forums or the web in general. Oliver has been very touched by the support shown for him through this unsettling period.

The above quote  is on O Wakeman's Facebook page:

In typical Yes fashion---a member was forced out and not too happy about it. He and Moraz should do a book.

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 23:23

I don't get why so many people are angry about whatever Yes decides to do (including call themselves Yes).

In probably ten years (maybe more), there won't be a Yes at all.  Mortality and all that.  

That doesn't necessarily have to be true. I can imagine all the members gradually stepping down and being replaced with younger guys. The old guys remaining would take on apprentices of sorts and show them what being in Yes is all about. By the time Chris Squire decides to retire the rest of the band would have the experience and knowhow to carry the torch without him. Basically Yes would become something of an institution passed down the generations for hundreds of years to come. Our children's children will go to Yes concerts while the rest of us wax nostalgic about the old times.

That's an idea that plays out in my head anyway. It's basically what happened with the Temptations and those other Doo-Wop acts, and people still go to those shows with pretty nice attendance. It doesn't mean it's what's going to happen by any stretch. It's just an idea.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 01:01
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

In probably ten years (maybe more), there won't be a Yes at all.  Mortality and all that.  

That doesn't necessarily have to be true. I can imagine all the members gradually stepping down and being replaced with younger guys. The old guys remaining would take on apprentices of sorts and show them what being in Yes is all about. By the time Chris Squire decides to retire the rest of the band would have the experience and knowhow to carry the torch without him. Basically Yes would become something of an institution passed down the generations for hundreds of years to come. Our children's children will go to Yes concerts while the rest of us wax nostalgic about the old times.

That's an idea that plays out in my head anyway. It's basically what happened with the Temptations and those other Doo-Wop acts, and people still go to those shows with pretty nice attendance. It doesn't mean it's what's going to happen by any stretch. It's just an idea.

that would be very interesting
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 03:02
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

that would be very interesting

Rick Wakeman said in 1992 something like that he had a feeling that there could be a Yes way back in the 21st century, like sort of a London Philharmonic Orchestra (so with members being replaced by other members). Up until now, he seems to be right, even one of his own sons being in the band, and already being replaced.
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 23:30
Geoff is featured on the entire Fly From Here cd.
J Dawg
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 23:47
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I really do think it is time they retired with some of their dignity intact and pass the torch to the great generations of bands coming behind them.

There's nothing to follow the grandeur of the band called Yes and there's no sense is letting it disappear. The last thing we need is yet another classic vanish for good.
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 23:48
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

It's a rumor--but it wouldn't surprise me if true---when I saw Yes live last year--O Wakeman was really bad---was not self-assured enough IMO---you have to be a BIG player to be successful in this group (Rick and Patrick)---to compete with Chis and Steve.

I saw them a couple of months ago... I wouldn't say he is bad, he actually did a decent job... but he didn't shine, I expected more from him....

I'll see Asia this week and I'll let you know how is Geoff sounding like these days...
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12