Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater
    Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:14
Now Dream Theater are my favourite band, but I never felt that they really fitted in with the rest of my prog collection. it was only yesterday when I realised why this was. 

From the start, they have been both Metal and prog, symbolised almost, by the appearance of Mike Portnoy. A long haired, troglodytic, metalhead, but so dedicated to prog, he has a King Crimson tattoo. I think that up until now, Dream Theater have been incredibly dedicated to prog and to metal, whereas most bands have 'splashings of this', and a 'bit of that'. I also believe that if one of these was removed, and the band could focus solely on one of the two, they would astound.

With the departure of Mr Portnoy, I wondered where they would go from here. It's almost certain that they won't abandon one of the two completely, but if they maybe just toned down the metal side of it, they may find themselves rather better received on this here website.

Thoughts?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:18
They are what they are. Like them or leave them. At this point in their careers I doubt they'll change to please a little bunch of prog fans. They have a big fan base whom they work for. Portnoy's departure might ignite a little change in sound, but I doubt it'll be too radical. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:44
To be fair to them, they have definitely introduced a lot of younger fans to the prog genre as a whole, and that can only be praised.

I've started to listen to them a little bit more recently, and I am definitely enjoying a lot more than when I stopped a few years ago.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 12:50
My only fear with them going forward is to make records like LaBrie's last solo effort Static Impulse, which was not good IMO. Too much screamo type metal for my taste, it just seems that is what James likes right now.....and if they end up with a serious metal drummer, we could see more of that.
Versus them recording stuff like SDOIT or songs like Octavarium.....I just wonder if they will ever try to create material like Scenes From A Memory, not the concept but the material.

That to me is Dream Theater. Even like Train of Thought, one of my favorite albums would be great.
Sargasso View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 12:56
Somehow I don't think it's likely that DT will pick up a new drummer who is more metal oriented than Mike Portnoy.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 14:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

To be fair to them, they have definitely introduced a lot of younger fans to the prog genre as a whole, and that can only be praised.

That's me Big smile

And the direction, as people above me have stated, is entirely dependent on the new drummer. If Dave Lombardo is the new drummer (which for god's sake I hope he's not) DT will morph into a prog-related thrash metal band. If Virgil Donati is the new drummer, DT will morph into a jazz based metal band. If Marco Minnemann is the new drummer (which I suspect he is), the band will morph into a  more a more thrash based prog metal band.
Sargasso View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 14:33
Dave Lombardo? They wouldn't.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 16:07
I would love to see them step away from the metal.  I feel like all they can contribute metal-wise has been done by them years ago.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 16:22
Everyone just knows where this thread is gonna go.....I heartily loathe DT but am going to take the T's advice and leave them (alone)
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 16:38
DT > life.

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 17:05
Originally posted by Sargasso Sargasso wrote:

Dave Lombardo? He wouldn't. LOL

I respect Dream Theater but I don't like them much. When I think of them I'll try to keep their album Awake in mind and forget the many disappointments I had with them.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 17:09
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Originally posted by Sargasso Sargasso wrote:

Dave Lombardo? He wouldn't. LOL

I respect Dream Theater but I don't like them much. When I think of them I'll try to keep their album Awake in mind and forget the many disappointments I had with them.

Awake is definitely their best (along I&W and SFAM).
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 17:28
I fully know where this thread's going Tongue Hopefully it can manage to be interesting, before being completely run into the ground...
Anyway Marco Minemann for me - Jazz DT would be brilliant (never going to happen)
Sargasso View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 19:21
That may be true, but replacing Portnoy is the best possible first step
Repner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 22:41
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

That's me Big smile

And the direction, as people above me have stated, is entirely dependent on the new drummer. If Dave Lombardo is the new drummer (which for god's sake I hope he's not) DT will morph into a prog-related thrash metal band

Unless he goes in the direction he used for Fantomas, which would be amusing to hear DT try to perform LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 22:57
While DT members love prog, most of their work to date slots in metal music and I am not sure that's going to change.  Actually, the best example of what JS19 described is, for me, The Perfect Element, one foot each in prog rock and metal. Not getting into full blown prog except for maybe Her Voices but say the intro of Morning Glory points to a different approach from DT. DT evoke prog more for some elements of jazz rock/fusion in the instrumental sections, maybe that might get more prominent again in the wake of Portnoy's exit.  
TLM170 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 05:45
I always considered DT as a fisherman sitting between to lakes... reeling out fish from the metal lake and releasing them in the prog lake. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 06:40
I'm very much afraid their new sound will be more metal and less prog.
I'm not so much wondering about what DT will do as to about what will Portnoy do. DT will have to more or less stick to their formula, it's Mike who has become free, and given his very wide musical interests, from Yes to trash metal, one can only wonder which path will he follow.

Edited by Gerinski - February 26 2011 at 07:15
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 14:11
I am one who believes Portnoy leaving DT is not a good thing...long term. I think they eventually will loose a lot of the creativity that got them where they are. Hopefully Myung will keep them in check......I know most do not like MP but I do like him, I certainly do not care for his singing, that needs to disappear......he needs to stick to the "sticks" and writing.
I would like to see more Transatlantic, LTE and hopefully some OSI if he will do that......but this Beatles cover band stuff he is doing...mehhh....I just hope he does not try and record any of that and spend time touring on that.

My hope is within 2-3 yrs they will get back together and create some great stuff again before they all call it quits...
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 15:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am one who believes Portnoy leaving DT is not a good thing...long term. I think they eventually will loose a lot of the creativity that got them where they are. Hopefully Myung will keep them in check......I know most do not like MP but I do like him, I certainly do not care for his singing, that needs to disappear......he needs to stick to the "sticks" and writing.
I would like to see more Transatlantic, LTE and hopefully some OSI if he will do that......but this Beatles cover band stuff he is doing...mehhh....I just hope he does not try and record any of that and spend time touring on that.

My hope is within 2-3 yrs they will get back together and create some great stuff again before they all call it quits...

In the meantime, Myung can right everything... Whoever thought it was a good idea to stop him writing was a moron.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>