Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 02:29
Some interesting comments on the new album & thanks to those who responded to my question.

The last DT I bought was Octavarium & I think I'll do with the new one what I did with that - wait a few weeks then buy it 2nd hand for a couple of quid from Amazon; 1st album of theirs for a while which is genuinely piquing my interest.

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I also see and hear a lot of Rush nods on this album....

Oh you - you're trying to influence me, aren't you.

Edited by Jim Garten - September 26 2013 at 02:30

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 02:59
Originally posted by jammindude jammindude wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I guess Haken is a promising new band. I just got Aquarius a few months ago and it certainly didn't disapoint... and I expect to get the other 2 albums at any moment, so I'm kind of exited about that. Now, an even newer band that seems to have been praised very much through last year is "iamthemorning"... I still haven't heard them, but I guess I'll have to give them a chance. Though as far as I understand this guys have absolutley nothing to do with metal.

Listening now.   Good stuff!  Clap

I got home from work today, and two new albums showed up in the mail (from Amazon). One was DT's new album, and the other was The Mountain from Haken. Haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet, but will be soon!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 09:19
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Some interesting comments on the new album & thanks to those who responded to my question.

The last DT I bought was Octavarium & I think I'll do with the new one what I did with that - wait a few weeks then buy it 2nd hand for a couple of quid from Amazon; 1st album of theirs for a while which is genuinely piquing my interest.

Guilty as charged your Honor! LOL

I do enjoy this album....Last night on the sofa with headphones was a good session........But I am going to take a good listening session this weekend on my main system, just sit and listen, turn the volume up to full glory!

But even before that, for me this album is much better than the last..hands down. Using PA lingo, this is not a 5star for me......Awake, Scenes, SDoIT, ToT are 5stars, this one is not in that same category. Those albums are ground breakers, hold me up and keep me floating till the last note......again this is for me! It will be a solid 4star album for me, same as BC&SL, Octavarium and SC.

Cheers!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 09:34
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

It is pretty bright in most areas, which is a big reason why mr. Myung is not well heard on most of the tracks on the album. :(

I have to ask...how, after all this time, is this STILL a problem?? Most of their albums, the guy is buried so far in the mix that he might as well not have shown up. I think a few years back he was finally able to be heard on one or two discs in a row, but now it's mostly back to the same thing.

On the new album, there's a couple of spots when his bass is so upfront and snarling, and I think `Damn, he should sound like that all the time!'

The poor guy, I'm honestly surprised he hasn't just thrown it in, or at least put his foot down a said `Hey, Petrucci, turn my dial up to 11!'

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 26 2013 at 09:52
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 10:35
I knew they looked up to Metallica, but didn't know it was to the extent of treating Myung the same way Hetfield treated Newstead on '...And Justice For All'

What fun it must be in DT's camp these days

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 13:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It is pretty bright in most areas, which is a big reason why mr. Myung is not well heard on most of the tracks on the album. :(

I have to ask...how, after all this time, is this STILL a problem?? Most of their albums, the guy is buried so far in the mix that he might as well not have shown up. I think a few years back he was finally able to be heard on one or two discs in a row, but now it's mostly back to the same thing.

On the new album, there's a couple of spots when his bass is so upfront and snarling, and I think `Damn, he should sound like that all the time!'

The poor guy, I'm honestly surprised he hasn't just thrown it in, or at least put his foot down a said `Hey, Petrucci, turn my dial up to 11!'

Actually, I'm a bit shocked by the implication.   I frequent several DT themed prog rock forums, and most people are claiming how WELL they can hear JMX, in comparison to past albums, and praise for his place in the mix.  

Obviously, some people's mileage varies. 
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 13:58

Actually, I'm a bit shocked by the implication.   I frequent several DT themed prog rock forums, and most people are claiming how WELL they can hear JMX, in comparison to past albums, and praise for his place in the mix.  

I don't know....perhaps I'm thinking he should always be playing like Chris Squire or something lol! You know, his bass playing chucky, thick and used as a lead instrument and WAY up in the mix!

Although I haven't listened to them in a while, I'm certain the previous two albums he was much more prominent in the mix and heard much easier.

But I find so many times whole tracks seem to go by without hearing the guy make much impression at all.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:09
Myung actually sounds like Geddy Lee on this album.  It is nice to hear him.  This album is more in line with Systematic Chaos.  Has its moments, but mostly meh.  ADTOE is not even close to this.  Nothing on DT even compares to Backs of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 03:18
I'm seeing some reminiscence of The Necromancer by Rush. The middle section of each song sound quite similar, between LaBrie's singing style and the beats behind it. I like it though. Thumbs Up

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - September 27 2013 at 03:19
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 07:30
Just got it yesterday, and have listened to it once so far (in the car).

First impression is that it's decent but not great, I agree with dtguitarfan in that it's a step down from ADTOE, which is my 3rd favorite DT album.

It's not bad by any means, and I like it well enough. I just wasn't wowed by it.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 09:21

I think it depends on the heads and the PA system they use. I can hear Myung in every single album quite well, with the exception of ToT, in which i'ts kind of hard to hear. But I guess you should check out your EQ.

And it's evident that this album was made to have a 5.1 edge, so I would make my comparison until I hear it in that context.
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 09:38
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

And it's evident that this album was made to have a 5.1 edge, so I would make my comparison until I hear it in that context.

You make a good point! I specifically bought the CD/DVD-Audio version to get that disc, just haven't played it yet!

Will report back if it makes a heap of difference - very likely!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 27 2013 at 09:38
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:03

You make a good point! I specifically bought the CD/DVD-Audio version to get that disc, just haven't played it yet!

Micheal. The difference is night and day! It's absolutely incredible. The separation is perfect and you can hear Myung on all the tracks quite clearly! I will say however with the lossless audio Cd stereo format, I STILL can hear Myung but not as vibrantly as heard on the 5.1mix.

I really hope DT come out with all their albums (even reissue past ones) in 5.1.
They have only done it twice. The first as you may already know was systematic Chaos and now of course the latest.
I know it is expensive for record companies to do this, but Roadrunner can afford it!
Good signing if you ask me. :)

Anyway. How are you liking 'The Bigger Picture' track? LaBrie's voice is pretty incredible if you ask me...well....actually the whole album his voice is terrific. Notice how he scaled it back a bit tonal wise, from previous efforts.
I think when he brings out the softness in his voice it is his best approach vocally. When he tries to sound heavy it's not his bag if you will. :)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:11

I knew they looked up to Metallica, but didn't know it was to the extent of treating Myung the same way Hetfield treated Newstead on '...And Justice For All'

What fun it must be in DT's camp these days

You bring up a good point here by how the BASS being buried in other notable DT influences like say Metallica. Jason Newstead had to fight and claw to get his, in my opinion, very well written track 'My Friend a Misery' on the final track listing of the Black album. I actually feel bad for Newstead and leaving Metallica although sad was a great decision on his part. His new solo project really isn't bad that he released this year. ;)

Anyway. Myung's appearance has definitely been heightened on the last DT 2 efforts.
BREAKING ALL ILLUSIONS was a wonderful depiction of what Myung can do as a song writer and bass player as well. I think it's his best work he has ever done with the band. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:15
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I'm seeing some reminiscence of The Necromancer by Rush. The middle section of each song sound quite similar, between LaBrie's singing style and the beats behind it. I like it though. Thumbs Up

Marshy, I hear a ton of RUSH rittled throughout the album as well, especially on Surrender to Reason and The Looking Glass. The intros especially on both those tracks. But even as you said, this is not a bad thing.
I agree.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:19

Guilty as charged your Honor! LOL

I do enjoy this album....Last night on the sofa with headphones was a good session........But I am going to take a good listening session this weekend on my main system, just sit and listen, turn the volume up to full glory!

But even before that, for me this album is much better than the last..hands down. Using PA lingo, this is not a 5star for me......Awake, Scenes, SDoIT, ToT are 5stars, this one is not in that same category. Those albums are ground breakers, hold me up and keep me floating till the last note......again this is for me! It will be a solid 4star album for me, same as BC&SL, Octavarium and SC.

Cheers!

You see.....it grows on you like a son of a bitch! Enjoy the 5.1mix! Do as you said, sit back and drink it in. ;)
Also, look at the very clever artwork while doing so. You will be put into DT Heaven :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:22

I think it depends on the heads and the PA system they use. I can hear Myung in every single album quite well, with the exception of ToT, in which i'ts kind of hard to hear. But I guess you should check out your EQ. And it's evident that this album was made to have a 5.1 edge, so I would make my comparison until I hear it in that context.

Your dam right it does!! Without quality audio equipment I find the sound mix really blows. You miss so much, namely Myung and even some of James's background vocal Harmonies, especially on Along for The Ride.
These are some of the comparisons I've been able to draw....so far. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:04
Nick, I'm on nightshift right now and have been listening to the new album on my Ipod with headphones on, and already I'm hearing more things. You are spot on about Labrie's backing harmonies, etc. Even though he's still not my favourite vocalist, he has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, learned a lot more restraint, and especially on this album really seems to be pushing himself with more intricate arrangements and variations.

He does really well on that final longer epic track too.

That orchestral part on that one is very different for Dream Theater! Have to say, just before that section kicks in with the ambient build-up, was I the only one that thought of Yes' `Close To The Edge'?
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:10

It's the end of the month, I have to wait maybe a week still until the CD/DVD version get to my hands and then I will embrace it. Until then, all your opinions is all I have. LOL
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:28

It's the end of the month, I have to wait maybe a week still until the CD/DVD version get to my hands and then I will embrace it. Until then, all your opinions is all I have. LOL

Geeze. And I thought I had it had compared to most with regards to release dates for albums and editions alike.
Pain in the ass I know, but what I can say mr. Jumpa you are gonna love that 5.1mix. This is one of the many reasons why I am glad DT resigned with Roadrunner. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 42>