Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:48
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nick, I'm on nightshift right now and have been listening to the new album on my Ipod with headphones on, and already I'm hearing more things. You are spot on about Labrie's backing harmonies, etc. Even though he's still not my favourite vocalist, he has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, learned a lot more restraint, and especially on this album really seems to be pushing himself with more intricate arrangements and variations.

He does really well on that final longer epic track too.

That orchestral part on that one is very different for Dream Theater! Have to say, just before that section kicks in with the ambient build-up, was I the only one that thought of Yes' `Close To The Edge'?

Yeah. The vocals are far more intimate from LaBrie. I'm getting that a lot now. I really quite love it as well.
As for the ILLUMINATION THEORY track I really couldn't ask for more changes in direction with in a DT track. It's got everything Prog metal has to offer just about! It's heavy, soft/melodic, classical, ambient and even a little jazzy at times with Rudess's wacky keyboard conductions. ;)
Lastly you know how I feel about Close to The Edge. But seriously, I'm finding similarities of 6 degrees and octavarium with in this DT album. I mean listen to the intro 'Behind The veil' it sounds like the intro to THE GREAT DEBATE and It has the main orchestration climax from SACRIFICE SONS. I love it. It's clever and most importantly doesn't sound recycled. ;)

I am just getting a lot out this album. The choruses are strong, the instrumental 'Enigma Machine' really showcases Mangini's capabilities....live those Autobaun drum heads!!!
Oh and lastly, I think ALONG FOR THE RIDE might be the ballad of year for me. Love Rudess's keyboards on that one and I am really glad he chose to use the same keyboard algorithm that he used on Beneath The Surface.
It sounds wild!!! I quite like it. :)
Anyway. I shall shut up now. Enjoy man! :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:58
I was hearing LOTS of rush on first listen - little bits of 2112, Cygnus X-1 PT1 - Overall - a very good album on first Spin. The Epic will grow on me I'm sure - all this argument about Rush - Hm that last decent album 1980 - then electro pop rubbish - DT's efforts are what Rush should have evolved into, such a waste of musical talent...
Well what I should say is that Post 80's Rush was written for one purpose - to fill the Bank Accounts of Lee, Lifeson & Peart - mission accomplished I suppose.....

Edited by M27Barney - September 27 2013 at 15:00
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:05
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nick, I'm on nightshift right now and have been listening to the new album on my Ipod with headphones on, and already I'm hearing more things. You are spot on about Labrie's backing harmonies, etc. Even though he's still not my favourite vocalist, he has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, learned a lot more restraint, and especially on this album really seems to be pushing himself with more intricate arrangements and variations.

He does really well on that final longer epic track too.

That orchestral part on that one is very different for Dream Theater! Have to say, just before that section kicks in with the ambient build-up, was I the only one that thought of Yes' `Close To The Edge'?

Yeah. The vocals are far more intimate from LaBrie. I'm getting that a lot now. I really quite love it as well.
As for the ILLUMINATION THEORY track I really couldn't ask for more changes in direction with in a DT track. It's got everything Prog metal has to offer just about! It's heavy, soft/melodic, classical, ambient and even a little jazzy at times with Rudess's wacky keyboard conductions. ;)
Lastly you know how I feel about Close to The Edge. But seriously, I'm finding similarities of 6 degrees and octavarium with in this DT album. I mean listen to the intro 'Behind The veil' it sounds like the intro to THE GREAT DEBATE and It has the main orchestration climax from SACRIFICE SONS. I love it. It's clever and most importantly doesn't sound recycled. ;)

I am just getting a lot out this album. The choruses are strong, the instrumental 'Enigma Machine' really showcases Mangini's capabilities....live those Autobaun drum heads!!!
Oh and lastly, I think ALONG FOR THE RIDE might be the ballad of year for me. Love Rudess's keyboards on that one and I am really glad he chose to use the same keyboard algorithm that he used on Beneath The Surface.
It sounds wild!!! I quite like it. :)
Anyway. I shall shut up now. Enjoy man! :)

Oh, Nick, we know you won't shut up about Dream Theater lol! Good for you, man!

Some more random thoughts as I've been playing the later parts of the disc:

The opening and closing of `Behind The Veil' reminds me very much of Riverside, those intimidating spacey synths! The main chorus sections are pretty catchy power AOR!

The acoustic guitar sections of `Surrender To Reason' have a definite Steven Wilson/PTree sound like `Time Flies' etc. Myung does get some really show-off bits in this, especially at about the four minute mark! Nice multi-tracked harmonies from James in the finale too.

`Along For The Ride' is classy power ballad territory for the chorus, but nice trickier heavy fills throughout and a very ELP/Lucky Man inspired Moog run in the middle!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 27 2013 at 15:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 17:25

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Some interesting comments on the new album & thanks to those who responded to my question.

The last DT I bought was Octavarium & I think I'll do with the new one what I did with that - wait a few weeks then buy it 2nd hand for a couple of quid from Amazon; 1st album of theirs for a while which is genuinely piquing my interest.

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I also see and hear a lot of Rush nods on this album....

Oh you - you're trying to influence me, aren't you.

Guilty as charged your Honor! LOL

I do enjoy this album....Last night on the sofa with headphones was a good session........But I am going to take a good listening session this weekend on my main system, just sit and listen, turn the volume up to full glory!

But even before that, for me this album is much better than the last..hands down. Using PA lingo, this is not a 5star for me......Awake, Scenes, SDoIT, ToT are 5stars, this one is not in that same category. Those albums are ground breakers, hold me up and keep me floating till the last note......again this is for me! It will be a solid 4star album for me, same as BC&SL, Octavarium and SC.

Cheers!

You see.....it grows on you like a son of a bitch! Enjoy the 5.1mix! Do as you said, sit back and drink it in. ;)
Also, look at the very clever artwork while doing so. You will be put into DT Heaven :)

I don't have the 5.1 DVD......I have the FLAC files that came with the vinyl version. I have what I need, I don't do 5.1, I am strictly a 2-channel audio guy.

I have seen the artwork already, the vinyl is a gatefold and the sleeves are covered with art work and lyrics.

Art work is by Hugh Syme, made famous by all the great Rush artwork as well as playing keys for them on occasion....so I know it is great artwork.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 18:05
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I was hearing LOTS of rush on first listen - little bits of 2112, Cygnus X-1 PT1 - Overall - a very good album on first Spin. The Epic will grow on me I'm sure - all this argument about Rush - Hm that last decent album 1980 - then electro pop rubbish - DT's efforts are what Rush should have evolved into, such a waste of musical talent...
Well what I should say is that Post 80's Rush was written for one purpose - to fill the Bank Accounts of Lee, Lifeson & Peart - mission accomplished I suppose.....

Well, it's not like they're going to go back to stocking produce at the grocery store...
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 04:07
I found this interview (hour long) of the band in You Tube with all members, very interesting :

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 08:27
I'm liking it even more after repeat listenings (not that I didn't like it at first).

It's certainly proggier than ADTOE, and a bit less heavy (not by much), but I still think ADTOE is the better album.

I really didn't hear much Rush influence other than (I believe) track #7? which very much sounds like a Rush song for the most part. DT might just become my 5th fav, after I&W / SFAM / ADTOE / Awake
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 08:36
A good 1st impression for me.  I will be giving it additional listens.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 09:42
I've been listening to it daily and it's definitely a Top 5 for me along with I & W, Met 2, 6DOIT, and Awake. This is coming from a 20 year plus fan. I'm extremely impressed with what I have heard and I love the direction they have been taking with the last two releases. I feel more passion and songwriting coming from the band, even more so than on ADTOE, passion that had been almost lost on SC & BC&SL.
Cthulhu42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 13:34
I'm surprised to see so many putting it among their favourites; personally, I'd rank it ninth of their twelve albums, ahead of BC&SL, FII, and the debut, but behind the rest. While all the songs on DT are at least pretty good, there aren't really any that stand out or that I'd put among their best, and overall I sort of feel like they were just going through the motions with this one.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 21:11
At last I got it... unfortunatley I have to listen to it more to give an opinion. I might end up likind it well enough... at least more than "A Dramatic Turn of Events"... Though I don't know if more than "Black Clouds".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 11:21
Still enjoying the crap out if the new record. It's getting a very strong consideration for album of the year for me (2013)
You cannot deny the quality musicianship on this album. Great melody too with strong choruses making every song on the album highly listenable& enjoyable. Very pleased and it's going on my DT top 5 studio album list of all time.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 10:53
Clap i`m not to sure if the last two album to me seem to. be okish. which i belive is beacuse mike. isn`t there playin`.
don`t  get me wrong there still a great band.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 13:18
It has settled into a middle spot for me. Behind BC&SL but ahead of the last one, by a few spots. I am not sure what it is, the music is good, really good....I do miss Portnoy I have to say, but I think most of it has to be I am not liking much the vocals by Labrie. The breathy vocals can be too much......seems like he is holding back, does not want to sound like he does on SC or BC&SL.

I don't know.....but I am looking forward to a live show if they hit Seattle next year. I think some of these songs will play live well......I have to say the epic does not captivate me that much either.

Have not played it in about 2 weeks........maybe will spin it this weekend.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:25
I'll be getting Live at Luna Park here in the mail in the next week. Has anyone else watched or listened to this live album? What do you think?

I'll wait until I watch it before I come back to this thread.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:20
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I'll be getting Live at Luna Park here in the mail in the next week. Has anyone else watched or listened to this live album? What do you think?

I thought it was great, however Rudess and Myung should be turned up in the mix. Myung is mixed in the sound way too low. That's not a surprise though. But Labrie is stunning on this live rendition. All the members are very enthusiastic. Mangini is just magical. So much passion and energy. Songs from Dramatic Turn of Events sound much better on this release than the album. Overall it was solid, blu ray was very crisp and sound was good other than my first complaint. I have to say Surrounded sounds amazing on this, best Labrie live version I've heard yet!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 09:30

I'll be getting Live at Luna Park here in the mail in the next week. Has anyone else watched or listened to this live album? What do you think?I'll wait until I watch it before I come back to this thread.

Hey Marsh. For the most part it's a lovely DVD recording, although during the softer acoustic sessions their is some syllabus issues with LaBrie's mic. He sounds a little bit too breathy on tracks The Silent Man, The spirit Carries on (just the beginning) and Beneath the surface. Other than that. Amazing performance by all, but like AlexDom said Rudess and Myung are a bit buried in the mix, but with a quality home Theater speaker system with a Harmon Kardon Receiver you can clean it up a bit. I tinker. :)

Above all. I'd give it a 4/5. I bought the blue ray 60 page picture booklet edition with the 3 CDs as well and I love it.
Also. My favourite performances were the solos!!! Mangini's drum solo was out cold! Could give Neal Peart a run for his money. Petrucci's solo is this crazy-beautiful floydian inspired piece that will have you feeling pretty satisfied if you really dug The Count Of Tuscony. :) Rudess. He is the wizard. Nuff said. You'll love it.
No Myung solo. DT still do a great job of keeping a quality bass player in the god dame basement. :(
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 19:03
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

I thought it was great, however Rudess and Myung should be turned up in the mix. Myung is mixed in the sound way too low. That's not a surprise though. But Labrie is stunning on this live rendition. All the members are very enthusiastic. Mangini is just magical. So much passion and energy. Songs from Dramatic Turn of Events sound much better on this release than the album. Overall it was solid, blu ray was very crisp and sound was good other than my first complaint. I have to say Surrounded sounds amazing on this, best Labrie live version I've heard yet!

JLB is almost unlistenable on this DVD.  he is so out of tune and growling.  he's definitely the weak link in this band along with the horrible mix.  i feel so bad for myong.  he's obviously playing fast difficult parts non stop live and on album, but he's never heard!  it's a real travesty.

mangini may just be the greatest drummer of all time.  his playing is effortless and absolutely compelling.  it's incredible.

Edited by zumacraig - December 15 2013 at 19:05
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 21:16

I'll be getting Live at Luna Park here in the mail in the next week. Has anyone else watched or listened to this live album? What do you think?I'll wait until I watch it before I come back to this thread.

Hey Marsh. For the most part it's a lovely DVD recording, although during the softer acoustic sessions their is some syllabus issues with LaBrie's mic. He sounds a little bit too breathy on tracks The Silent Man, The spirit Carries on (just the beginning) and Beneath the surface. Other than that. Amazing performance by all, but like AlexDom said Rudess and Myung are a bit buried in the mix, but with a quality home Theater speaker system with a Harmon Kardon Receiver you can clean it up a bit. I tinker. :)

Above all. I'd give it a 4/5. I bought the blue ray 60 page picture booklet edition with the 3 CDs as well and I love it.
Also. My favourite performances were the solos!!! Mangini's drum solo was out cold! Could give Neal Peart a run for his money. Petrucci's solo is this crazy-beautiful floydian inspired piece that will have you feeling pretty satisfied if you really dug The Count Of Tuscony. :) Rudess. He is the wizard. Nuff said. You'll love it.
No Myung solo. DT still do a great job of keeping a quality bass player in the god dame basement. :(

It turned out very well I thought too. LaBrie did sound quite good, sure a little breathy, but that's not exactly a new thing for him. Mangini is unearthly on the drums, man was he fun to watch. Myung was a little beneath it all sure, but it was still much better than the studio album. Rudess is a wizard too, as you say. I was glad to see more standard piano from him. I was not much of a fan of the song Outcry until I watched the one in this DVD. The breakdown at the end was amazing, as well as all the other solos and improvs. This one might be my favorite DT live album. The only disappointment was that the tracks they played were nearly the same as what they played back when I saw them in 2011. But with Mangini only having just joined, I guess its understandable that he didn't have their whole discography down yet. Still, great execution, and the live versions do sound better than the studio versions of the songs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 22:20

It turned out very well I thought too. LaBrie did sound quite good, sure a little breathy, but that's not exactly a new thing for him. Mangini is unearthly on the drums, man was he fun to watch. Myung was a little beneath it all sure, but it was still much better than the studio album. Rudess is a wizard too, as you say. I was glad to see more standard piano from him. I was not much of a fan of the song Outcry until I watched the one in this DVD. The breakdown at the end was amazing, as well as all the other solos and improvs. This one might be my favorite DT live album. The only disappointment was that the tracks they played were nearly the same as what they played back when I saw them in 2011. But with Mangini only having just joined, I guess its understandable that he didn't have their whole discography down yet. Still, great execution, and the live versions do sound better than the studio versions of the songs.

Glad you enjoyed it. Ummmmm favourite live DVD though??? Have you seen THE SCORE: 20th Ann at RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL IN NEW YORK IN 2006?? For me, that is the best and no other DT live performance holds a candle to that show. :) Everyone gets on LaBRie just line ZUMCRAIG did above, but on that show in 2006 he absolutely nails it! Gotta see it if you haven't already. It's available on cd too. :)
Anyway. Luna is great. What's your favourite song on it? I actually like the little tune ups they did on metropolis other than the solos of course. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 42>