Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 39404142>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'm pretty comfortable right now saying I will not go, I'm good with it. After Transatlantic last weekend, that should hold my prog live shows fix for awhile

Cool cool. Ummm how would you rate Portnoy's drumming performance on the new Transatlantic album?
Would you say it's on par with his performance on 6 DEGREES or is that stretching it a bit?
I'm anxious to hear the album. I am gonna buy it next month once I move into my new home. :)

SDOIT is hard to beat, so I think it is stretching it. From seeing MP live with both TA and NM, I have to say the drumming on T2 and Momentum are better....seeing World Without End, Momentum and especially Seeds of Gold live, not much is better than those for me.

Man. The way my thinking nowadays is that almost all Prog metal albums are a stretch from 6 Degrees.
It's got incredible flow and the musicianship is out of this world, and every time I play it I miss Portnoy with DT. Mangini's a good fit still, but Portnoy's my favourite. Hands down. Mangini's one hell of a drummer though. He's fast! His blast beats are nuts, especially his work with Annihilator. Wow. Anyway I still gotta pick up Testimony 2 and momentum. I'm behind in the Neal Morse and Transatlantic world right now. :(

Yeah T2 and Momentum have some insane Portnoy drumming.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:57
Just saw their show in Salem, OR last night. I gotta say that it was excellent. The song selection was definitely not what I expected (outside of the new material), but it was still quite welcome. Only negatives were Myung was still low in the mix (what's new there) and LaBrie screwed up the lyrics multiple times. He sounded as good as ever though. There was some nice variation in the songs too, not just a copy/paste from the albums. The crowd was just a tad boisterous though. It was DT's first time in Salem, and I think the crowd was expecting a more thrashing show than what was put on. During the mellow/ambient sections of some songs, there were some jeers and catcalls. Oh well, still a great show.

They did play Space-Dye Vest. Not sure what to think about the new rendition yet, but I won't spoil it for those going to see them this tour. I'm sure they'll be playing it at every venue.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 03:03
I'm alright with DT these days. I'll try and do a top 5 tracks:

1. Octavarium
2. Voices
3. The Count of Tuscany
4. Space-Dye Vest
5. Blind Faith
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 22:36
At the risk of sounding like an old "it was better back than dude,"  I haven't been digging a whole album since Octavarium. Stuff since has some good songs but I haven't enjoyed an album in its entirety. I don't think the talent of most of the band has declined but I don't find them as innovative as they used to be.
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 22:57
I almost went to the show in Seattle this past Monday....but really was not feeling it, I have been saying this since the tour was released. It would been cool to hear the older songs for sure.

The last tour was good and I went mainly to see how Mangini would contribute. I much prefer Portnoy behind the kit though....

I am not sure they will get any better going forward, I will still buy their music, but something is missing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:29

I almost went to the show in Seattle this past Monday....but really was not feeling it, I have been saying this since the tour was released. It would been cool to hear the older songs for sure.

The last tour was good and I went mainly to see how Mangini would contribute. I much prefer Portnoy behind the kit though....

I am not sure they will get any better going forward, I will still buy their music, but something is missing.

I also didn't do much to go see them this year. I think they will be near here next month... but it's about a 3 hr trip and just don't feel like doing it. I went to see Transatlantic a few months ago and didn't want to go to another concert so soon (in any case, perhaps I would have prefered to see Haken instead of Transatlantic, but Transatlantic was great still). And indeed something's missing. I'm sure Portnoy's idea of the band having a break would have been the best... perhaps 5 years seemed like a long time, but I guess by now that time would almost have passed already, and perhaps it wouldn't have been that long anyway.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 22:29
I didn't make the show in SF like i normally do

first time in 7 or 8 years...

multiple reasons....

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 00:09
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I also didn't do much to go see them this year. I think they will be near here next month... but it's about a 3 hr trip and just don't feel like doing it. I went to see Transatlantic a few months ago and didn't want to go to another concert so soon (in any case, perhaps I would have prefered to see Haken instead of Transatlantic, but Transatlantic was great still). And indeed something's missing. I'm sure Portnoy's idea of the band having a break would have been the best... perhaps 5 years seemed like a long time, but I guess by now that time would almost have passed already, and perhaps it wouldn't have been that long anyway.

Wow.......I would love to see Haken!!
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 04:41
I was listening to the album Black Clouds and Silver ... yesterday the instrumental disk and i was surprised to see that i enjoy the best this version without Labrie singing. Sometimes, his vocals make me cringe. Wouldn't be good to see the band in the future make only instrumentals albums?
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:39

Sadly, a big mistake on your part.
The Along For The Ride tour has been absolutely amazing. Would've been worth it for you to see/hear Space Dye-Vest performed live alone!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:42
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I was listening to the album Black Clouds and Silver ... yesterday the instrumental disk and i was surprised to see that i enjoy the best this version without Labrie singing. Sometimes, his vocals make me cringe. Wouldn't be good to see the band in the future make only instrumentals albums?

This, I totally agree with!

LaBrie gone on Black clouds is actually so much better. I love Wither without the vockills! What a difference.
Definitely have more of an appreciation for the album. The only track that I prefer vocals with is The Count Of Tuscany. I like the way LaBrie sings on that one. Above all. Good point man!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 13:56

This, I totally agree with!

LaBrie gone on Black clouds is actually so much better. I love Wither without the vockills! What a difference.
Definitely have more of an appreciation for the album. The only track that I prefer vocals with is The Count Of Tuscany. I like the way LaBrie sings on that one. Above all. Good point man!

I was actually very interested in the instrumental disc of the album when I got it, and thought I might like it better, given that I do find LaBrie somewhat annoying. But somehow I felt it was missing something indeed (of course, the singing and the melody that goes with it). The one song that was almost better in it's instrumental form was "The Best of Times", for there the singing was a kind of more cheesy than on the other songs, and somewhat poppier, but for some very strange and annoying reason, the instrumental version of that song misses the awsome guitar solo at the end of the song. If only they had kept that solo... and perhaps added more of that nice violin to make for the missing vocal melodies, that version would have been really awsome.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 13:00

This is why I love LTE....I wish there was more.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 13:18
Yes a band... I`ve not been to any show`s or purchase any album`s since MP left the band... so if I wish to get back into the new music, which one.......
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 15:20
Well there are two to choose from right now, its not like he left 10yrs ago...Either one is my guess.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 09:07
I now its not 10yrs ago, but its only two albums if I buy the album which to me is wronggggggggggggggggg, than about weather to buy the 2nd one....

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 12:53
Both have songs I skip thru...the latest one is a bit better I suppose...but I am sure others can chime in too.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 20:57
I think the first album with Mangini has more good songs (or rather, average songs), while the second album has better songs (or, at the very least, it has Ilumination Theory, which is better than anything on the first album).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 01:23
thanks 2nd it is than.

Music Is Live

<
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 05:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think the first album with Mangini has more good songs (or rather, average songs), while the second album has better songs (or, at the very least, it has Ilumination Theory, which is better than anything on the first album).

After many listening of the second CD, the first one seems better. There's too much "trash metal mettalica" influence on it, but still "illumination theory" is the best song of both CDs. Since the last DT albums with Portnoy, i got a feel of deja vu in the music of the band. I  just hope they can comeback with a more original release next time.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 39404142>