Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 17:58
I just wanna say one thing, and that is I think ALONG FOR THE RIDE is an absolutely beautiful song. What musicianship. It's fabulous. Come Wednesday I'm gonna be one happy progger. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 17:59
Never really cared that much for DT but I'm listening to Metropolis2 Scenes From  A Memory and....heh....it's not bad.

Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 15:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Never really cared that much for DT but I'm listening to Metropolis2 Scenes From  A Memory and....heh....it's not bad.

Cool

It is IMHO their best album.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 16:21
Hey guys.  It's been a long time since I've posted...but I was thinking of hanging out here a bit more often because, let's face it, the DT and MP forums are wonderful, and I love everyone there....but I want to start getting my prog scuttlebutt from a wider ranger of resources.  

But as long as I'm here anyway...I may as well post my review for the new Dream Theater album.

"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 18:49
Originally posted by jammindude jammindude wrote:

Hey guys.  It's been a long time since I've posted...but I was thinking of hanging out here a bit more often because, let's face it, the DT and MP forums are wonderful, and I love everyone there....but I want to start getting my prog scuttlebutt from a wider ranger of resources.  
But as long as I'm here anyway...I may as well post my review for the new Dream Theater album.

Great, just be aware that not everyone here loves DT (some even rather hate them), so you may find opinions you won't like. I myself love this band and... well, I'm not sure what to expect of the same album, though I'm certainly waiting for it, but even if it were a dissapointment, the band has already released so much to enjoy that I wouldn't care... so much.
jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 19:22
I'm seeing more and more of that.   

I'm certain there will always be a certain "changing of the guard" on several levels.   (the new Haken is amazing, and how many Yes fans that were actually there when Fragile broke are still singing the praises of Fly From Here...so it goes both ways)

I pride myself on *trying* to keep up...but I haven't made any groundbreaking new discoveries since PoS, Porcupine Tree, and Riverside first starting making waves over a decade ago.     I seek to remedy that....Haken seems like a great new place to start. 

But I still love my DT.   Moving forward doesn't always been crapping on your heroes.   
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 23:34
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Cool

That's what many DT fans seem to think. I'm going to listen again to Images and Words which also gets high praise. Who knows, maybe I'll actually become a fan?
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 21:55
Originally posted by jammindude jammindude wrote:

I'm seeing more and more of that.   
I'm certain there will always be a certain "changing of the guard" on several levels.   (the new Haken is amazing, and how many Yes fans that were actually there when Fragile broke are still singing the praises of Fly From Here...so it goes both ways)
I pride myself on *trying* to keep up...but I haven't made any groundbreaking new discoveries since PoS, Porcupine Tree, and Riverside first starting making waves over a decade ago.     I seek to remedy that....Haken seems like a great new place to start. 
But I still love my DT.   Moving forward doesn't always been crapping on your heroes.   

Well, I guess Haken is a promising new band. I just got Aquarius a few months ago and it certainly didn't disapoint... and I expect to get the other 2 albums at any moment, so I'm kind of exited about that. Now, an even newer band that seems to have been praised very much through last year is "iamthemorning"... I still haven't heard them, but I guess I'll have to give them a chance. Though as far as I understand this guys have absolutley nothing to do with metal.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 22:33

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, an even newer band that seems to have been praised very much through last year is "iamthemorning"... I still haven't heard them, but I guess I'll have to give them a chance. Though as far as I understand this guys have absolutley nothing to do with metal.

That debut is so good, I'm not going to lie. It isn't anywhere remotely close to metal at all. Actually more like a classical chamber ensemble with electric guitar, bass, drums, and vocals added in. But the music is simply staggreing in how beautiful it is. Definitely recommended!

And...

Back to topic

Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Cool

That's what many DT fans seem to think. I'm going to listen again to Images and Words which also gets high praise. Who knows, maybe I'll actually become a fan?
Wink

Images and Words is an album I can't brag on enough. Definitely in my top 10 and keeps getting better with each spin! I'm curious whether the new one will bear any resemblance to it, as I've been hearing a lot of people say ADTOE revisited a few of the moods and textures used on Images and Words. But that's hearsay. I haven't actually heard ADTOE myself.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 22:51
Well gents. I finally possess a copy of the new DT album and I've spun this sucker 4 times today. Truth is I am loving it more and more each spin. This is a very good album from DT and it's like a more polished version of ADTOE with Some similarities to other DT classics like 6 Degress, Awake and I&w's.
I also like the use of real String instruments used in the album production and not electronically simulated by Rudess or anything. The viola and Violins are such a nice touch, especially on the 23 min epic 'Illumination Theory' ;)
The drumming is also intriguing and fast! Mangini certainly slams those 'Autobauns' he enjoys using in his drum kit. :)

Anyway guys. I love it. It's better than ADTOE for me. Can't ask for much more.

Prog on. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Barah86 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 04:23
I gave the new Dream Theater album a listen today and it was great! best DT album since Train Of Thought in my opinion, I really feel like Dream Theater found their sound again and made some brilliant music, which makes me really excited for future albums.
Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs
Twenty first century schizoid man.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 09:34
A lot of people are saying the new album is mastered way too hot, like Death Magnetic hot, and the compression kills some of the dynamics, along with the listen itself becoming very tiring after about halfway through the album. If you feel the same as others, you can download the HDtracks version of DT12, which is basically a better produced version of the album.

http://https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD016861760465
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:30
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

A lot of people are saying the new album is mastered way too hot, like Death Magnetic hot, and the compression kills some of the dynamics, along with the listen itself becoming very tiring after about halfway through the album. If you feel the same as others, you can download the HDtracks version of DT12, which is basically a better produced version of the album.

http://https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD016861760465

I tried clicking on the link and it didn't work. I got redirected to an error page...

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:42
I'm reading a lot of reviews around comparing the new album to the older classics such as Awake, Scenes... and Images...

I started to go off DT after Train Of Thought & Octavarium. Bearing in mind I'm more a fan of the older stuff - what do the panel think? Worth a punt?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:01
The online leak was bad...real bad. But I suspect that is just because it was available online and we all know that quality of sound is terrible! Probably a 128kbps rate......
I did not get the CD, but picked up the vinyl version yesterday and that comes with a download coupon for FLAC files and also MP3 files from Warner Music.

The FLAC files sound pretty good on my home system played thru my stand alone DAC.....I loaded the MP3 files onto my Zune player and thru headphones that sounded no worse than other MP3 files.

The vinyl version is real nice....nowhere near the quality of Porcupine Tree, SW or Marillion vinyl. Would be good to know from others if the CD version is brick-walled and contributing to the loudness wars.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:19
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I'm reading a lot of reviews around comparing the new album to the older classics such as Awake, Scenes... and Images...

I started to go off DT after Train Of Thought & Octavarium. Bearing in mind I'm more a fan of the older stuff - what do the panel think? Worth a punt?

I just streamed it on Spotify... I didn't really enjoy it to be honest.  Its a lot more like Train of Thought than the classics in my opinion.  If you're like me and more a fan of the pre-2000 material I'm not sure how much you'll dig it. I ended up giving it 2/5 in my review.

Edited by bloodnarfer - September 25 2013 at 11:23
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:42
Glad someone actually doesn't mindlessly call it 5* masterpiece like I expected. I couldn't care less about the release but I just don't want it to skyrocket to the top for no reason..
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

[QUOTE=Jim Garten]Its a lot more like Train of Thought than the classics in my opinion.

Sounds to me like you only listened to the first two tracks??? The album is closer to Octavarium and Awake as far as comparing DT12 to older DT albums.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:54
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Glad someone actually doesn't mindlessly call it 5* masterpiece like I expected. I couldn't care less about the release but I just don't want it to skyrocket to the top for no reason..

Oh, this is Dream Theater we're talking about, give it a couple of days, I'm sure it will happen!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:55
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

[QUOTE=Jim Garten]Its a lot more like Train of Thought than the classics in my opinion.
Sounds to me like you only listened to the first two tracks??? The album is closer to Octavarium and Awake as far as comparing DT12 to older DT albums.

Yep, the new album is nothing like the all-out heaviness of `Train Of Thought', although I've only listened to the first three quarters of the album several times, I haven't got to the final two tracks yet, so no idea if the last few go balls-out with metal....hmmm, that's quite a violent image!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 42>