Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am surprised that I am not feeling more disappointed about deciding not to see them in Seattle.....Told my wife they are coming and she said she would take the day off.....I told her not to worry probably not going, she was more shocked than I was.

Jose, I think your making a big mistake. Go see them in Seattle!
As you may know, the album AWAKE turns 20 years-old this year (oct/4th) so Dream Theater will be celebrating and playing a ton of music from that album for their upcoming tours this year. Also, they made a special announment that they will include SPACE DYE-VEST in their set list's for upcoming tours in North America.
I'm pretty excited cause I've never heard them play SPACE-DYE live.
Anyway, as your friend my only advice to you is that you should go.
:)
It's the one song they have never played live (aside from the new stuff) and I think it's because Kevin Moore wrote it himself, and left the band soon after. Where did you hear that? I'd love to see that in their setlist.I'm planning on seeing them in Salem, OR, and I'm quite excited to hear they'll be so close. Seattle would be fun too, but probably a bit of a trek.

I am surprised that I am not feeling more disappointed about deciding not to see them in Seattle.....Told my wife they are coming and she said she would take the day off.....I told her not to worry probably not going, she was more shocked than I was.

As you may know, the album AWAKE turns 20 years-old this year (oct/4th) so Dream Theater will be celebrating and playing a ton of music from that album for their upcoming tours this year. Also, they made a special announment that they will include SPACE DYE-VEST in their set list's for upcoming tours in North America.
It's the one song they have never played live (aside from the new stuff) and I think it's because Kevin Moore wrote it himself, and left the band soon after. Where did you hear that? I'd love to see that in their setlist.I'm planning on seeing them in Salem, OR, and I'm quite excited to hear they'll be so close. Seattle would be fun too, but probably a bit of a trek.

Yup. That is one of the reasons they've never played the great, Space Dye.

Ok. So their is this guy, Micheal Ebert who is like the biggest Kevin Moore and DT fan I've ever seen and he has dedicated an entire website to Kevin Moore called www.themooretorium.net
Check it out. His sources are always true and it's been running since 2009. And yes. I am a member.
Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 18:57
they've never played Best of Times live.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 20:50

Ok. So their is this guy, Micheal Ebert who is like the biggest Kevin Moore and DT fan I've ever seen and he has dedicated an entire website to Kevin Moore called www.themooretorium.net
Check it out. His sources are always true and it's been running since 2009. And yes. I am a member.
Lol

Oh no! I wasn't plannint on seeing DT on this tour either. I'm already going to see Transatlantic, and didn't really want to spend more money on another concert soon (I'm actually missing Haken too), specially since I have to travel over 3 hours to get there. But if they play Space Dye Vest, then I'll regret it even more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 22:48

Understand, but I have seen them a few times and they are the champs at changing set list city after city...my luck would be Seattle does not get Space Dye Vest, assuming it is included. But the chance of one song is not enough, I have not been impressed with LaBrie's vocals live and I am in the minority but I find their music lacking life post Portnoy era. Nothing against Mangini, I just prefer Portnoy........seeing him 3x the last 4yrs with Neal Morse and Transatlantic I do miss his playing with DT.
I have not played the last album in almost a month.......means something. My love of going to live concerts will miss this one, but my heart is not in this tour.

Its not like the concert is tomorrow so there is time if I change my mind....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 22:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Lol

Oh no! I wasn't plannint on seeing DT on this tour either. I'm already going to see Transatlantic, and didn't really want to spend more money on another concert soon (I'm actually missing Haken too), specially since I have to travel over 3 hours to get there. But if they play Space Dye Vest, then I'll regret it even more.

Ohh no.....I would go see Haken wayyyyyy before DT at this point. I have asked the promoter here in Seattle who brings Transatlantic and Neal Morse to try and get both Riverside and Haken, told him I would pay top $$ for those shows.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 21:24

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Lol

Ohh no.....I would go see Haken wayyyyyy before DT at this point. I have asked the promoter here in Seattle who brings Transatlantic and Neal Morse to try and get both Riverside and Haken, told him I would pay top $$ for those shows.

Yeah, I guess I'd rather see Haken too. All their 3 albums are brilliant, as far as whole albums go, DT neved did any as good as Haken's, they always have a stinker (except perhaps Train of Thought, for me). But there might just as well not be any song from Haken I'd rather hear over "Space Dye Vest"... or even "The Mirror". Still, I'm almost certainly miss both, so I don't have to decide which one I'd rather see. Also, if "Space Dye Vest" is the song that might make you decided if you would go see DT, you could check out the set-lists they have been playing, they do vary their set-lists during the tours, but as far as I understand there are two or three songs that they are exchanging often, and the rest of the set-list remains almost the same through the tour, so you might be able to tell which songs they might end up dropping (I checked their set-lists from a few shows in the morning, and so far they seem to not be varying their songs). Actually, I don't remember exactly, but I think the last time I saw them (it must have been the last tour with Portnoy), there was a song I would have loved to hear them played and they dropped it in the concert I went (though I was half expecting it might happen). Don't remember well which one it was, but I think it might have been "The Mirror".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 01:46

Understand, but I have seen them a few times and they are the champs at changing set list city after city...my luck would be Seattle does not get Space Dye Vest, assuming it is included. But the chance of one song is not enough, I have not been impressed with LaBrie's vocals live and I am in the minority but I find their music lacking life post Portnoy era. Nothing against Mangini, I just prefer Portnoy........seeing him 3x the last 4yrs with Neal Morse and Transatlantic I do miss his playing with DT.
I have not played the last album in almost a month.......means something. My love of going to live concerts will miss this one, but my heart is not in this tour.

Its not like the concert is tomorrow so there is time if I change my mind....

Something tells me you'll change that mind of yours, but lists to your Prog gut. ;)
If the DT love has escaped then maybe an AWAKE laden set list can bring you back.
3 years ago I heard LaBrIe sing VOICES and he absolutely nailed it. I believe he still can sing very well.

Also. The new Transatlantic album is on my to buy list. I will not pass up what I hear is a fabulous Portnoy performance. :) And for the record, I prefer Portnoy more than Mangini. 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulance still holds a very big and deep soft spot in my Prog heart for one o the best drumming performaces on an album I've ever heard.
Really really great album on all counts.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 02:13
I'm pretty comfortable right now saying I will not go, I'm good with it. After Transatlantic last weekend, that should hold my prog live shows fix for awhile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:51

I'm pretty comfortable right now saying I will not go, I'm good with it. After Transatlantic last weekend, that should hold my prog live shows fix for awhile

Cool cool. Ummm how would you rate Portnoy's drumming performance on the new Transatlantic album?
Would you say it's on par with his performance on 6 DEGREES or is that stretching it a bit?
I'm anxious to hear the album. I am gonna buy it next month once I move into my new home. :)
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 14:17

Cool cool. Ummm how would you rate Portnoy's drumming performance on the new Transatlantic album?
Would you say it's on par with his performance on 6 DEGREES or is that stretching it a bit?
I'm anxious to hear the album. I am gonna buy it next month once I move into my new home. :)

His drumming on this is the best on any TA album. Though Whirlwind was pretty incredible drumming wise.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 16:43
I would like to see Haken, but I'm not sure if we can expect to see them up here in the Pacific NW. Transatlantic I haven't listened to yet. Which album would you recommend first?

I'm going to hit up every Dream Theater concert that comes through while they're still going strong. This will be my second show, I saw them in 2012 as well. I'd imagine that the longer Mangini has to mesh with the band, the better they are going to be live. Their setlists used be very versatile thanks to Portnoy, but we'll see if they can regain that level over the next few years. From what I've read, it seems their setlist this tour is going to be pretty consistant. Is that correct?
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 17:02

I would like to see Haken, but I'm not sure if we can expect to see them up here in the Pacific NW. Transatlantic I haven't listened to yet. Which album would you recommend first?

I'm going to hit up every Dream Theater concert that comes through while they're still going strong. This will be my second show, I saw them in 2012 as well. I'd imagine that the longer Mangini has to mesh with the band, the better they are going to be live. Their setlists used be very versatile thanks to Portnoy, but we'll see if they can regain that level over the next few years. From what I've read, it seems their setlist this tour is going to be pretty consistant. Is that correct?

Shoot all their albums are stellar. I'd so pick anyone of them. They are all good for different reasons. The Whirlwind will always be my favorite. Kaleidoscope, BOF, and Smpte are all so amazing. Guess I really was much help ha ha!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 17:41
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Shoot all their albums are stellar. I'd so pick anyone of them. They are all good for different reasons. The Whirlwind will always be my favorite. Kaleidoscope, BOF, and Smpte are all so amazing. Guess I really was much help ha ha!

If that's the case, then I'll just start at the beginning. What better place to start. Big smile
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 17:46

I am one who believes Portnoy leaving DT is not a good thing...long term. I think they eventually will loose a lot of the creativity that got them where they are. Hopefully Myung will keep them in check......I know most do not like MP but I do like him, I certainly do not care for his singing, that needs to disappear......he needs to stick to the "sticks" and writing.
I would like to see more Transatlantic, LTE and hopefully some OSI if he will do that......but this Beatles cover band stuff he is doing...mehhh....I just hope he does not try and record any of that and spend time touring on that.

My hope is within 2-3 yrs they will get back together and create some great stuff again before they all call it quits...

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 04:39
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

[QUOTE=Catcher10]I am one who believes Portnoy leaving DT is not a good thing...long term. I think they eventually will loose a lot of the creativity that got them where they are. Hopefully Myung will keep them in check......I know most do not like MP but I do like him, I certainly do not care for his singing, that needs to disappear......he needs to stick to the "sticks" and writing.
I would like to see more Transatlantic, LTE and hopefully some OSI if he will do that......but this Beatles cover band stuff he is doing...mehhh....I just hope he does not try and record any of that and spend time touring on that.

My hope is within 2-3 yrs they will get back together and create some great stuff again before they all call it quits...

He does not need to get back in OSI, he won't anyway because he does not get along with Kevin Moore. And Gavin Harrison is doing a great job on drums anyway. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 20:51

Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

If that's the case, then I'll just start at the beginning. What better place to start. Big smile

What I did with Transatlantic was get the Whirltour CD/DVD combo, and that was just a perfect way to get into them. For me, The Whirlwind has been their best work, it's just got something special that the other albums lack, and it is played whole on this live album, plus the highlights from their previous work, so I got a very good idea what they were about. Then I got their other two studio albums, and they were very good too, but not at the same level. Though I must admit I haven't actually got The Whirlwind studio album yet... and I might just as well not get it at all, the live version is just wonderful. I hope to be able to get the new album tomorrow at the concert.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 21:20

SDOIT is hard to beat, so I think it is stretching it. From seeing MP live with both TA and NM, I have to say the drumming on T2 and Momentum are better....seeing World Without End, Momentum and especially Seeds of Gold live, not much is better than those for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 21:24

It may happen.....the promoter who brings NM and TA to Seattle has been asking his regulars who he should try to bring to Seattle. I sent him an email and I know many others have....He actually asked the crowd before the show and many of us screamed "Haken and Riverside!!", there were a couple Marillion screams.

Bands from overseas are tough to get here because of the travel issues and cost Haken are from UK so I don't think you need visas.....Riverside from Poland may be another issue with needed visas.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 00:11

SDOIT is hard to beat, so I think it is stretching it. From seeing MP live with both TA and NM, I have to say the drumming on T2 and Momentum are better....seeing World Without End, Momentum and especially Seeds of Gold live, not much is better than those for me.

Man. The way my thinking nowadays is that almost all Prog metal albums are a stretch from 6 Degrees.
It's got incredible flow and the musicianship is out of this world, and every time I play it I miss Portnoy with DT. Mangini's a good fit still, but Portnoy's my favourite. Hands down. Mangini's one hell of a drummer though. He's fast! His blast beats are nuts, especially his work with Annihilator. Wow. Anyway I still gotta pick up Testimony 2 and momentum. I'm behind in the Neal Morse and Transatlantic world right now. :(
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 00:39

It may happen.....the promoter who brings NM and TA to Seattle has been asking his regulars who he should try to bring to Seattle. I sent him an email and I know many others have....He actually asked the crowd before the show and many of us screamed "Haken and Riverside!!", there were a couple Marillion screams.

Bands from overseas are tough to get here because of the travel issues and cost Haken are from UK so I don't think you need visas.....Riverside from Poland may be another issue with needed visas.

Yeah, as I thought. Well if Haken or other European bands make it to Seattle, I'd make my way up there for the show.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142>