Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Watch - Timeless (2011)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Watch - Timeless (2011)
    Posted: February 27 2011 at 07:00
2 or 3 months past, I wrote a post with "Copying Genesis" title. I wrote about bands that "Copying" Genesis music (not inspire or influence or ...) and I list some bands like Agents of Mercy , 5 bridges, Unifaun Dead ,Citizen Cain and "The Watch". As you know I got too many opposite replys and many of these bands fans attacked to me. Unifaun was the only band that hadn't any defenders! One PA memeber (JemJem 1974) told me to listen "The Watch" more and I did it . I found all of "The Watch" albums and I bought them. I bought "The Night Watch - Twilight" too. I listen to them more and more. I think their 2 first albums Ghost and Vacuum are more original and better than Primitive and Planet Earth. Now I found "Timeless" and I listened to it over 10 times. They loose their touch completely in this album. I cant found even one non-Genesis!! moment in Timeless. 3 Cover songs plus 7 COPY songs. This is a "Cover & Copy" album without creative moments or new idea. Cover songs are better than their own songs and I think this is a big weak point of Timeless. With this format (Cover and Copy) , listener can compare their music with Genesis. They never use their source (Genesis) like a refrence, haply they use Genesis like stereotype!
In my opinion the only positive thing in The Watch music specially in Timeless is : they copy "Gabriel era" Genesis music. Honestly I enjoy Timeless because I love Gabriel era. Maybe I listen to Timeless more and more and enjoy but this isn't make me to have positive opinion about that.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 07:36
Yes! they are xcellent, and Vacuum is rather an extraordinary album, very much like Gabriel's Genesis but still unique in their own right. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 10:24
I have Planet Earth? and it's downright stunning. It's probably the best use of clone-age I've ever seen.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 11:14
An interview with The Watch will be published in a not too distant future. 
eloymaster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 13:51
I saw 'The watch' live last year, playing Genesis songs, and some of their own songs as encore. These guys are great! They also use a real old hammond organ...Clap
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 06:17
Very intresting!! I know "The Watch" have many fans in PA but  maybe they haven't idea about "Timeless". I realy want to know fan's opinion about "Timeless". Maybe they aren't listen "Timeless" Yet.
Monte View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 11:02
Both Planet Earth and Timeless are disappointing compared to earlier Watch albums.  If I had listened to these last two albums first, I never would have been inspired to purchase any more.  Most bands move forward and try to further define their style.  On Timeless, The Watch step backward and link themselves completely with Genesis.  They borrow several early Genesis songs and also have a "thread" running through several other songs.  The "thread" is of a tune on Genesis' first album "From Genesis to Revelation"  I think that they made a big mistake by doing this.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 13:07

100% agree with you! I think they want to to say " Genesis first album is a TIMELESS album and underrate". They try to "Update"  From Genesis... with mixing their own new songs and Genesis old songs to show Genesis value! I mean they (The Watch) TRY release new version of Genesis first album not The Watch new album. I think they go to wrong way and they aren't successful.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:14
I've just ordered a vinyl copy of 'Songs From The Alps' - hoping it's something memorable.......
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:22
^ the last one is great, much better than Timeless.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:33
I know it has been panned for being 'too Genesis' but for me, that's not a problem.......
And it's 'Tracks', not 'Songs'........
 Post Reply Post Reply