36 [66.67%]
14 [25.93%]
4 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anathema vs. Blackfield
    Posted: October 27 2011 at 09:02
Blackfield's latest album is not bad but it was disappointing.  The first two are amazing.

Hoping both bands are working on new albums!
Prog On!
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:48
Blackfield.

Anathema is a great band too. But just everything Steven Wilson did becomes superior! (And that's not just a freaking out fan's point of view!) Big smile
This night wounds time.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 18:29
Antahema for their doom metal.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote -Radioswim- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 19:30
Anathema... by a landslide

It should also be noted: I listen to everything Steven Wilson does just out of principle. Blackfield is no exception, and I love the hell out of it. But it's Anathema... they've created (what I would say) 7 masterpeice albums of pure music bliss.

The Silent Enigma
Eternity
Judgement
A Natural Disaster
Alternative 4
We're here becuase we're here
A Fine day to Exit

You just can't compare a discography like that to a couple decent prog-pop albums with a few excellent tracks.

Dust in the Kitchen
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 12:16
Originally posted by jav1919

Anathema, even though I consider Blackfield's first two albums great.

This
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover Team

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 12:31
Anathema is intoxicating , especially live while Blackfield has their first 2 jewels and a couple of following duds plus that wretched DVD live where Aviv looks like a weirdo. Sorry, not even close .....
"The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog" Mme de Stael
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 15:50
I like both.
Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory? Rip off the masks and let's see.
But that's not right - oh no, what's the story? There's you and there's me.
That can't be right.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 03:18
I have the last 6 Anathema albums which all now reside on my I-pod and in terms on number of tracks per artist rank about 4th. When this poll was made I hadn't even heard of them. They are easily my favourite new discovery of the last 12 months or so.
I love Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree but have never heard Blackfield. Should I check them out or would I better off exploring say Riverside's back catalogue first?

Edited by richardh - November 03 2013 at 03:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 03:29
Now I vote for Anathema. Both bands are great though
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 03:33
Originally posted by richardh

Should I check them out or would I better off exploring say Riverside's back catalogue first?

Blackfield are quite accessible so it shouldn't take a lot of time to check them out. The first two albums are definitely whorthwile to listen to, both are great Britpop-tinged art rock in the same vein as 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb Sun'.

The third album is much weaker so you can put it down a bit. Blackfield IV is really not as bad as it was greeted, it's really a pretty neat album, but way too short and poppy.
This night wounds time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 01:46
Originally posted by ole-the-first

Originally posted by richardh

Should I check them out or would I better off exploring say Riverside's back catalogue first?

Blackfield are quite accessible so it shouldn't take a lot of time to check them out. The first two albums are definitely whorthwile to listen to, both are great Britpop-tinged art rock in the same vein as 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb Sun'.

The third album is much weaker so you can put it down a bit. Blackfield IV is really not as bad as it was greeted, it's really a pretty neat album, but way too short and poppy.

Ta.
I like Stupid Dream although I haven't listened to it for a long time. I'll probably check them out depending on price.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 05:58
1 Riverside
2 Anathema

Blackfield, not so much.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12