Topic ClosedDoes intelligence matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 09:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Phulax-Wolfgang Phulax-Wolfgang wrote:

Is a decent attention span a more necessary part for enjoying prog would you say?

I think it's more that than intelligence. Most people don't really sit down and really listen to music these days - it's just something they have on in the background.  A lot of prog demands attention to really appreciate.

This.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:18
Intellectual ability in any given subject does not necessarily mean that you're someone of sophisticated taste. For example, I know quite a few people with PhDs running university departments, but some of them are bigots, others are ultra-nationalists and many of them are only interested in tacky pop music.

For (most) symphonic prog, Canterbury Scene, RIO and proggy jazz-rock, all you need is a certain preference for ECLECTICISM. Such preference is relatively rare, but I keep bumping into progheads everywhere. However, since they don't wear kaftans anymore, it can be hard to spot them!
AllP0werToSlaves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:27
I read articles like this all the time, they appear to correlate some credibility with their claims but I personally take it with a grain of salt. The "smarter" kids could enjoy prog for completely different reasons, not solely because of their IQ. You could even make the leap with that logic and say "people with more money seem to enjoy prog!" I think it just comes down to taste to be honest with you. Did those same Ivy League students listen to classical music as well?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:28
I guarantee that prog listening is in no way correlated with intelligence. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Intellectual ability in any given subject does not necessarily mean that you're someone of sophisticated taste. For example, I know quite a few people with PhDs running university departments, but some of them are bigots, others are ultra-nationalists and many of them are only interested in tacky pop music.
LOLLOLLOLLOL
For (most) symphonic prog, Canterbury Scene, RIO and proggy jazz-rock, all you need is a certain preference for ECLECTICISM. Such preference is relatively rare, but I keep bumping into progheads everywhere. However, since they don't wear kaftans anymore, it can be hard to spot them!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:45

When I listen to Prog, I'm stimulated by listening to the time signature, instrumental timbres, lyrics subject etc. Yet some of my 'peers', dare I use the word, simply cannot comprehend the song's beauty. They enjoy the bog-standard 4/4 run of the mill pop song. These people are noticeably 'thick as a brick' Wink so does intelligence play a part in liking Prog? I am of a certain intelligence, due to my abilities and performances in a variety of subjects, and I took Greek and Latin at GCSE. Unsurprisingly, my Classics (Greek & Latin) teacher rather likes Yes, Genesis and PF, and he is incredibly intelligent. I have noticed that I am the only Prog-wizard amongst my peers. So I can't honestly conclude my hypothesis from my own experiences. Can anyone else give me any back-up or tell me different?

It is simply music......nothing spectacular. It will not solve any world problems....why in the world do we need a hypothesis to listen to music!!??
If you like pop or hip hop or jazz then go for it...if you like progressive rock, super listen to that. If 4/4 does it for you...awesome!!
The important thing is to listen to what moves you to have a good day and treat others with respect.

Just press play people.....
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 10:49
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I guarantee that prog listening is in no way correlated with intelligence. 
I agree with this. People sometimes get the impression that when a person listens to simple music and cringes at prog, it has to do with a lack of intelligence to understand the music. It's probably preference. Although it can be a bit misleading when a person attempts to make observations of society's reaction to music in general. I was waiting for you to make a post reply and I support your view.
Phulax-Wolfgang View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 11:46
I just made a simple schoolboy's day-dream into a good debate. I don't believe music makes that much difference. It is merely entertainment (on my part). I'm much more interested in Mathematics.
Ah righto, well. This has all been rather helpful and informative. Thank you all! I can tell the intelligence of most of you to not resort to 'stfu noob' or any other childish retorts. I don't know whether I can tell anyone that various unfamiliar men on the internet helped build my character/perspective. Don't take me as arrogant, I think it's worse to deny my lucky draw in the gene-pool. Thanks again.
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 12:47
Is anybody interrested in music these days? It is so secondary that people take it for granted . It's everywhere. TV, movies, games etc. Most of tEarth's population think what  Bieber and Céline Dion do  is music.

I remember back in 2007 ( I think ) Joshua Bell who is considered to be one of the top clasical violin virtuosos ( and highest paid ) on the planet took his 3 million dollar Stratavarios vilion into the Washington DC metro during rush hour and played for about an hour and collected about $ 30 and hardly anyone stopped to admire his playing. One woman stopped and said that it was "fantastic " Of course it was a publicity stunt staged by the Washington Post just to illustrate how clued out people are.

I dunno,  were there any intelligent people passing by besides that woman.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - February 28 2011 at 12:49
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

When I listen to Prog, I'm stimulated by listening to the time signature, instrumental timbres, lyrics subject etc. Yet some of my 'peers', dare I use the word, simply cannot comprehend the song's beauty. They enjoy the bog-standard 4/4 run of the mill pop song. These people are noticeably 'thick as a brick' Wink so does intelligence play a part in liking Prog? I am of a certain intelligence, due to my abilities and performances in a variety of subjects, and I took Greek and Latin at GCSE. Unsurprisingly, my Classics (Greek & Latin) teacher rather likes Yes, Genesis and PF, and he is incredibly intelligent. I have noticed that I am the only Prog-wizard amongst my peers. So I can't honestly conclude my hypothesis from my own experiences. Can anyone else give me any back-up or tell me different?

It is simply music......nothing spectacular. It will not solve any world problems....why in the world do we need a hypothesis to listen to music!!??
If you like pop or hip hop or jazz then go for it...if you like progressive rock, super listen to that. If 4/4 does it for you...awesome!!
The important thing is to listen to what moves you to have a good day and treat others with respect.

Just press play people.....

This person of supremely average intelligence agrees wholeheartedly with this post.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:12
Ok let's conduct a experiment here. 

a) Those of you who consider yourselves geniuses say it. 

b) All of you who don't, also say it. 

We'll tally the numbers. If option b) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. If a) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:14
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Ok let's conduct a experiment here. 

a) Those of you who consider yourselves geniuses say it. 

b) All of you who don't, also say it. 

We'll tally the numbers. If option b) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. If a) wins, it's proven that prog-listening doesn't necessarily need intelligence. 

Can you also include an option for those of us who fall into neither camp, but can, at least, fry an egg without breaking it?

I'm not really taking this thread very seriously am I?LOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:16
I can't fry an egg without breaking it Cry
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:22

Ah Teo. Then it is, I'm afraid, the option of last resort - you'll have to go down the hard boiled routeLOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Ah Teo. Then it is, I'm afraid, the option of last resort - you'll have to go down the hard boiled routeLOL

I actually go the "grab a mop and clean your mess" route Tongue
Phulax-Wolfgang View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:38
I eat them whole, save on the washing.
'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Isaac Newton
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:38
Hi,

The minute that we think that "intelligence" matters, someone comes up with something that is totally improvised that makes the intelligence look silly and stuffy. Besides, if we are to interpret the word "intelligence", we would endup thinking that the whole world is stupid and we are the imperialists!

The only intelligence there is, would be the one where someone knows how to take advantage of what they see inside and color their music with it, if they can get away from the "standard" propositions and details that supposedly define music ... in order to help define and create something new.

I don't think that it takes intelligence to get a Robert Fripp at 18 or 19 to do the first KC album ... I do feel that it could be said that here was someone that had a very special and specific feel about music and how he wanted to express it, and he did it, and it was different and fit a compositional style that we still are trying to define, and still haven't succeeded despite weird terminology for it. In the end, it was about the feeling and the way to express that feeling, and Jimi did the same thing, and so did Stevie ... and why not Robert in his own way?

Let the instrument talk!

Edited by moshkito - February 28 2011 at 13:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AllP0werToSlaves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:06
Listen to music for your own reasons; the most important quality should be the joy you get while listening!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:25
Even dummies can enjoy music.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 14:59
You don't have to be intelligent to listen to prog, but you MUST be very stupid to listen to this Thumbs Down

or this

or dozen of other examples.  Prog is not too good. It's the rest that's too poor.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>