Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes intelligence matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 00:07
The age discrepancy here precisely lends evidence to my point.

Unintelligent little kids are drawn to that kind of "music." Intelligent, mature, patient, and well thought out individuals seem to be prevalent in the progressive rock community. Someone can be an articulate fool if we are referring to wisdom and quality of life choices, but imo, people who are articulate are more educated.

Education -> increased or higher intelligence
Strong command of language and ability to think out responses before writing them usually requires education. 

Being pretentious is part of being a progressive rock fan. The music takes itself too seriously, the fans take the music too seriously, the fans take their tastes too seriously, and the band members take themselves too seriously. It's awesome, it's the way it should be. Prog is a higher form of art, and you get it! Be proud and just admit that you all think you are better then everyone else that walks around on this silly little planet.

Nietzsche say's ego is one of the most base and primal parts of human nature. To deny your ego is to deny yourself, yourself and lose touch with who you are. 

Denying the original claim or hypothesis is just another way to put yourself on a pedestal so you can believe you're better than someone else. We all play games to make ourselves as big as possible, it just depends on ones notions of what makes himself big, good or righteous. 

Edited by s1carlson0589 - July 24 2012 at 00:12
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 00:24
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Actually. In women it is true.  Only intelligent women love prog.
For men, it's an indication of how well endowed we are.
Big smile

Not very many women listen to prog, so what does that say? Wink kidding, just kidding ladies
BassoonAng View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 00:44
Originally posted by s1carlson0589 s1carlson0589 wrote:

Being pretentious is part of being a progressive rock fan. The music takes itself too seriously, the fans take the music too seriously, the fans take their tastes too seriously, and the band members take themselves too seriously. It's awesome, it's the way it should be. Prog is a higher form of art, and you get it! Be proud and just admit that you all think you are better then everyone else that walks around on this silly little planet.

I like what you got cookin.  I've always kind of laughed at other peoples' (especially those at my university) tastes in music.  I love bashing dubsteppers and poprockers.  I'd like to think that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I really can't convince myself of that when LMFAO is compared to Floyd.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 11:46

Someone can be an articulate fool if we are referring to wisdom and quality of life choices, but imo, people who are articulate are more educated.  

Education alone does not equal intelligence though it could be one source thereof.  If we believe that, then we don't believe that self taught musicians were or are ever capable of creating musical magic.   And the intelligence that is required to articulate thoughts clearly is practically useless if accompanied with contempt for people who listen to music that 'we' (who's the we here!) deem superficial.  

Prog is a higher form of art, and you get it!  

I will never ever agree that Camel or Renaissance (to name just two examples) represent a higher form of art than Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell and don't see any particularly convincing reasons why. 

Be proud and just admit that you all think you are better then everyone else that walks around on this silly little planet.  

You are what you are, not what you eat, wear or listen to.

Denying the original claim or hypothesis is just another way to put yourself on a pedestal so you can believe you're better than someone else.

How exactly does that follow?

We all play games to make ourselves as big as possible, it just depends on ones notions of what makes himself big, good or righteous. 

I just listen to the music I like which could be prog, could be metal, could be jazz, could be pop.  I don't see how or why that defines myself, my ego or where I place myself in comparison to others.  But then, I don't derive my self worth from comparing my last drawn salary with that of my college friends so maybe I am not the right person to address this question. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 12:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Denying the original claim or hypothesis is just another way to put yourself on a pedestal so you can believe you're better than someone else.

My god man.  At least take a little more pride in being better than the rest of us. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 24 2012 at 12:10
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

WormHole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 12:09
look this planet is very big and it has a lot of idiots on it,so expect that you will meet such people.  Even in jazz world there are idiots. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 20:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

My god man.  At least take a little more pride in being better than the rest of us. Tongue

You can't be serious!
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 20:30
Based on my experiences on this site, there are just as many idiot prog fans as there are idiot non-prog fans, which both are sadly quite numerous.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 20:37
I'm a smart and prog is the beststest ever so I think maybe true
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 22:31

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

You can't be serious!

Of course I was being serious.  Since when do I ever crack jokes around here?

I think I have a record somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-50 serious to silly.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 24 2012 at 22:35
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 07:04

I will never ever agree that Camel or Renaissance (to name just two examples) represent a higher form of art than Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell and don't see any particularly convincing reasons why. 

It's not about higher forms of art, but intelligence.

UZ's Dense isn't necessarily a greater form of art than Both Sides Now but I do believe the former is a brainteaser that requires a sort of "intelligence" not required for Joni's plain and simple (but wise) song. 

I just listen to the music I like which could be prog, could be metal, could be jazz, could be pop.  I don't see how or why that defines myself, my ego or where I place myself in comparison to others.  But then, I don't derive my self worth from comparing my last drawn salary with that of my college friends so maybe I am not the right person to address this question. 

I really think its a lot more understandable and relevant to partly define oneself from the culture you consume, than deriving one's self worth based on comparing salaries with collage friends.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - July 25 2012 at 07:05
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 11:17
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

It's not about higher forms of art, but intelligence.

UZ's Dense isn't necessarily a greater form of art than Both Sides Now but I do believe the former is a brainteaser that requires a sort of "intelligence" not required for Joni's plain and simple (but wise) song. 

And that is just the typical proghead fallacy of judging intelligence only as a function of the analytical components of music.  I think emotional intelligence is very important too.  If you do not have the patience to relate to the context and atmosphere an artist attempts to convey through what only superficially appears to be an 'easy' song, you are arguably not very intelligent (though I really don't see what it has to do with intelligence either which way). We tend to equate intelligence with analytical skills here, but that's only part of the picture.  It could be argued that some people are simply not very emotionally cognitive when it comes to art forms, so they tend to gravitate towards music that resembles sudoku or cryptic crosswords while others who are, don't need to get their high so much from a brainteasing element. 

Aside from all this, I chose those specific examples from prog rock with good reason, because they are more derivative and less musically adventurous.  Shifting the comparison to UZ would take away from the point because my very question was in what way is Camel more cerebral than Stevie Wonder?  I fail to see.  His chord progressions are far more interesting, generally speaking and the sheer breadth and diversity of Beatles's work speaks for itself. 

I really think its a lot more understandable and relevant to partly define oneself from the culture you consume, than deriving one's self worth based on comparing salaries with collage friends.

That may be your view but that's not what he said and I was responding to his post, not making a general comment.   He was clearly linking musical preferences to ego satisfaction and I really don't see the role of ego here.  I mean, it would be like clutching at straws if we evaluate and compare music tastes (purely from our individual prism) to feel superior to someone else.  I do define myself in cultural terms, as an Indian with significant exposure to Western culture, but I don't know in what way that is supposed to make me feel better or worse.  It is nothing more than a description of who I am.  Yes, I would mention prog as one of the genres that I listen to but I don't know why I am supposed to sneer down on the pop-listening philistines for that reason.

Edited by rogerthat - July 25 2012 at 12:13
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 14:49
^I changed to Universe Zero for argumental reasons. Much as you chose to use Camel to back up your argument. You seem opposed to the idea that intelligence matters at all when it comes to the ability to enjoy complex works of art, or whatever you like to call it.

Well known (if flawed) studies has shown that Beethoven fans are generally much more intelligent than fans of modern/commercial R&B/pop/hip-hop (and eveything else included in the study). Does that really surprise you or anyone else? Of course you can be the smartest person on earth and only listen to stupid hits excusively (or not listen to music at all), but it doesn't work the other way around. 

And no, you're not supposed to look down on or sneer at anyone because they listen to pop (don't we all?), or that complex stuff is difficult to grasp for idiots. You're not supposed to do or become anything other than what you are, if that's what you're afraid of. We're just discussing because somebody created this topic.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - July 25 2012 at 15:36
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 16:13
So, what's going on here, then?

Here's my thoughts...

Prog music is all about the quality of the listening and that has more to do with attention span and personal taste. It's been proven that there's no higher brain function than ACTIVELY listening to music. There's a lot of depth in prog and that's where the higher brain function comes in.

I admit, sometimes, some days, some prog ... I just don't get, for whatever reason. I'm of average intelligence. I play musical instruments, but I'm terrible in mathematics and can't learn a foreign language to save my life. People are intelligent in different areas.

Edited by Zombywoof - July 25 2012 at 16:19
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 16:24
Originally posted by BassoonAng BassoonAng wrote:

I like what you got cookin.  I've always kind of laughed at other peoples' (especially those at my university) tastes in music.  I love bashing dubsteppers and poprockers.  I'd like to think that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I really can't convince myself of that when LMFAO is compared to Floyd.

LOL
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 20:23

^I changed to Universe Zero for argumental reasons. Much as you chose to use Camel to back up your argument. You seem opposed to the idea that intelligence matters at all when it comes to the ability to enjoy complex works of art, or whatever you like to call it.

And I remain opposed to that idea because intelligence is too broad based a term to be applied so liberally.  It is too all encompassing.

Well known (if flawed) studies has shown that Beethoven fans are generally much more intelligent than fans of modern/commercial R&B/pop/hip-hop (and eveything else included in the study).

Which well known studies and what is their reliability, if any at all?  There are only a small minority of people who could be called Beethoven fans in the present day and an even smaller fraction of that would respond to a study.  What evidence do we have that suggests that the average 'intelligence' level of Beethoven fans back in the day was also high enough to make Stephen Hawking sweat?  Yes and ELP were massive live attractions back in the 70s and their albums sold plenty copies.  In other words, the "R&B/hip hop" of their day.  So what is that then supposed to mean?  That intelligence levels of the human race were at an all time high in the 70s or simply that there is no strong correlation between music and intelligence?

Does that really surprise you or anyone else?

See above, I cannot even accept these 'findings' without examining their veracity so the question of being surprised or not surprised doesn't arise.  

Of course you can be the smartest person on earth and only listen to stupid hits excusively (or not listen to music at all), but it doesn't work the other way around.

Why not?  The fact that some people posting on this thread actually believe there is a correlation between somebody's music tastes and his intelligence level...what does it say about their own intelligence levels?  How long before extreme preconceived notions about a person emerge from something as insignificant as music preferences?  

And no, you're not supposed to look down on or sneer at anyone because they listen to pop (don't we all?)

Again, who's the we here?  My boss only listens to whatever is the equivalent of old pop here and devotional songs and he is a very intelligent and well informed person.  

or that complex stuff is difficult to grasp for idiots.

Again, more assumptions.   How do you really know that?  Have you ever considered that it has far more to do with the things we direct the attention of our brain towards?  People choose from a myriad set of obsessions - it could be sports cars, alcohol, music, cinema, a sport or game, even equity stock.  As you spend more and more time obsessing with a specific field of interest, you will tend to learn more and more about it and eventually be in a position to articulate your thoughts on the subject clearly.   THAT is the 'difference' between the 'average pop listener' and 'average prog listener' that people talk about through several threads on this forum and some of whom find therein an opportunity to pat themselves on the back.   A typical pop listener may simply be somebody who has a few songs in his IPod and really doesn't listen to much music at all while a typical prog listener is likely to have an obsession with music.   It is very unlikely, though not entirely impossible, that a prog listener would have a very casual relationship with music and not express much interest in it.  That does not necessarily correlate to the intelligence levels of the people themselves.  It may say something about the intelligence with which they can express their views on music and that is what some people, including apparently yourself, have latched on to in forming a theory that prog fans are more intelligent than blah blah blah.  

You're not supposed to do or become anything other than what you are, if that's what you're afraid of. We're just discussing because somebody created this topic.

Er, thanks but I have no fear of being so influenced by this discussion as to become what I am not.  I had posed rhetorical questions, which I was sure you'd have grasped.  Wink
s1carlson0589 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 14:23
Intelligence is very broad encompassing term. There are perhaps 50 shades of grey, oh wait that's porn...

The concept is so abstract that it can seem like it doesn't even exist as a whole. For example, you might meet one person who is a genius in spatial intelligence and the same person can't solve simple mathematical problems. 

Yet, just as we are sure there is no objective measure of intelligence, some dude with down syndrome walks in the room and sheds some white on that grey. "Yup, there is definitely something objective about intelligence."

Ultimately, there is no way to determine whether or not there is a correlation between listening to progressive rock and intelligence just by speculation. One would have to conduct a comprehensive study, which is not going to happen any time soon, unless a progressive rock fan also happens to be a research psychologist. 

However, a taste for progressive rock shows some kind of musical intelligence IMO. Not the other way around, which is what Saperlipopette was saying, unless I am mistaken. 

I like believing my taste in music is better than others. Everyone does, that's why they find their music appealing. If you didn't think it was better in some way, you wouldn't prefer it. It's like living in a world where everyone sees a kids coloring book with crayons and thinks it's an incredible painting, being none the wiser. 

Furthermore, I enjoy believing that my intelligence is what draws me to progressive rock. It's like a paradigm.

There is a correlation between being scientist and being an atheist and being liberal etc.  One has a web of belief, and every assumption and belief lies on our understanding of other concepts. I believe I, and many others here, have an educated view of reality, informed by knowledge rather than ignorance. I have done a great deal of work, thinking and fighting through the thick vegetation of cognitive dissonance to realize certain truths. Maybe I am rambling, but I think this is where ego comes back into play. Swimming against the stream and traveling the path of strong resistance is a step one must go through to understand much of progressive rock. (for the most part)

It makes one think there is something better about taking the more difficult and less traveled path, building more confidence and a larger ego when it comes to these topics. That's why I think a certain degree of pretentiousness is necessary in progressive rock. Just like most scientists start cringing when they hear someone spouting theology. 

Edited by s1carlson0589 - July 26 2012 at 14:24
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 14:49
I knew from the beginning that this thread would finished on a debate of what is intelligence and not a debate about progressive music. 
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 15:21
The most intelligent person I know, a mathematics professor with a speciality I can't even begin to comprahend, doesn't like music at all. In fact, he finds it rather annoying. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 15:26
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

The most intelligent person I know, a mathematics professor with a speciality I can't even begin to comprahend, doesn't like music at all. In fact, he finds it rather annoying. 

Maybe it's because he have not yet understand the rationality...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>