Topic ClosedGan Eden – Il Giardino Delle Delizie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gan Eden – Il Giardino Delle Delizie
    Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:21

"Gan Eden" (Hebrew word for "Garden of Eden", "Il Giardino delle Delizie" in italian language) is a new studio project put together by keyboardist Angelo Santo Lombardi with other musicians helping out to give the record a true band sound.

I got in touch with Angelo Santo Lombardi from the band for the story.

###########################################################################

When, where and by whom was Giardino delle Delizie started ? Did any of you, past and present Giardino delle Delizie members, play in any other bands before joining up in Giardino delle Delizie ? Why did you choose that name ?

Forgive me but I want make clear that the band name is “Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie”, not “Giardino delle Delizie”; this name was born when I recorded my second album “Lavori in corso”. In fact, as few people know, my first album “I giorni di Eurisko” came out (with no distribution) simply signed by “Angelo Santo Lombardi”, but when I finished my second work found who wanted to print and distribute it, this one advised me to choose a suitable name for a synphonic progressive rock band. So, just in the same night the name came into my mind. “Gan Eden in Hebrew tongue means “il giardino delle delizie” (garden of delights) and this is the place where God left Adam and Eve after they were created: the eartly Paradise. So “Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie” wants to be a little paradise where the pure and wonderful progressive rock music blossoms.
As far as the band components, only I am the band, but for the recordings I have the collaboration of Gabriele Paganoni who plays those instruments I can't play, that I compose as well.

Over to your albums. Your debut album was the I Giorni di Eurisko album from 2004. Please tell us more about this album.

“I giorni di Eurisko” printed in December 2004 is the result or better the summary of all my musical influences I have assimilated during the years of my musical life. In this album you can find signs of progressive music, some signes of classic music and a larger quantity of singer-composing, as I adapted myself to the time in which prog music had been forgotten by people and unconsciously even by my creative vein, at least in that period. Anyway I could give vent to all my creativity and this, I think, is well understandable listening to the album.

Your second album was Lavori in Corso from 2006. Please tell us more about this album.

At the end of “I giorni di Eurisko” 's production, when I composed “One Way” and “Tu Sai”, I understood that I had to compose the music I've always loved the most, the progressive synphonic rock! So I started to work on “Lavori in corso” giving vent to all the progressive that lives inside my bones since I was adolescent. And I think I've done a good job... don't you?

Your third and so far latest album Ritratto di Ballerina followed in 2009. Please tell us more about this album.

“Ritratto di ballerina” is instead a pure concentrate of strong feelings of pain and tension that flow at the end in a instant of serenity (including the ghost track, but not so ghost “Emozioni” by Battisti/Mogol) that quench the prior strong and intense sensations of pain and tension, as to give a happy ending. The reason of all that tension is given by the fact that I wanted to express in music the pain an artist feels in the attempt to emerge and to be able to live on own art. But at the end of this delicate work I had to run into a bigger pain: the earthly lost of my Dad (to whom the album is dedicate). The happy ending wants to express the artist achievement of his goal and in parallel regarding the hard experience of my Dad's event, the awareness of the place he has reached, that makes vain every earthly ambition. And from here was born the idea of the cover. In fact, the cover I had in mind at the beginning of the work was completely different; I wanted to represent in a paint a little dancer in front of a famous dancer portrait, but while I was looking for who could draw this idea, because of this sad and heavy experience occurred, I thought to another cover that showed my deep pain for my Dad's bodily leaving from me. The light on the back of the cover represents my Dad's Paradise entry (that “Gan Eden”), but this time the spiritual one, the true Paradise of God in the real dimension of things, instead in the front of the cover there's a sort of logotype of my art name.

How is the creative processes in your band from coming up with an idea to it's being recorded ?

I compose my music and lyrics at home in my very little studio, when I have in my mind all clear about the track I call Gabriele to record in his studio all my instrumental parts, then I explain to him about the parts he has to play. When all the instrumental parts have been recorded exactly how I have them in my head, I go to another studio to record the voice and finish the track. After that I pass to the next track.

For those of us unknown with your music; how would you describe you music and which bands would you compare yourself with ?

The progressive bands I've always loved and absorbed are Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant, Yes, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and others like these, so it's clear that I've been fed of these musical expressions, therefore I associate myself to these names.

How active are you on the live and festival scene ? Do you play live at all ?

Unfortunately I don't play live for obvious reasons, in fact, as I've just said before, I'm alone in the band besides the only one musician who works with me for the recordings; so it's unthinkable to come up the stage with play-back music to sing live over it, especially for prog music, so I forgot about this kind of experience.

What is the latest Giardino delle Delizie update and your plans for this year and beyond ?

I've composed a lot of tracks of my fourth album but unfortunately I don't have the money for their final recordings. The professional music world is cruel! I haven't been able to become a professional in this world so I'm in trouble now to produce my new work. Probably it'll need some more year to see this project published. Let's see … who knows … However I hope to be able to produce this my new dream!

To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?

I have nothing else to add, thank you a lot for this opportunity to express my thoughts and to reveal who and what is there behind Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie !

Thank you to Angelo Santo Lombardi for this interview

The PA profile is here and the homepage's here

--------------------------------------------------

THE ITALIAN VERSION

Quando, dove e da chi è partito Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie? I membri della band, del passato e del presente, hanno suonato in altri gruppi prima di unirsi a Gan Eden? Perchè hai scelto quel nome?

Perdonatemi la precisazione ma il nome della band è “Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie, non “Giardino delle Delizie”; questo nome nacque quando incisi il mio secondo album “Lavori in corso”. Infatti, come pochi sanno, il mio primo album “I giorni di Eurisko” è uscito (senza distribuzione) targato “Angelo Santo Lombardi” cioè con il mio nome, ma quando realizzai il mio secondo lavoro trovai chi, oltre che stamparmelo, me lo distribuiva anche, inoltre questi mi consigliò di trovarmi un nome adatto per una band di rock progressivo sinfonico. Così in quella stessa notte mi venne in mente il nome. “Gan Eden” in lingua ebraica significa “il giardino delle delizie” e questo è il luogo dove Dio pose Adamo ed Eva dopo che furono da Lui creati: il Paradiso terrestre. Così “Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie” vuole essere un piccolo paradiso dove sboccia la pura e meravigliosa musica progressive rock sinfonico.

Riguardo ai componenti, io solo compongo la band, ma per le registrazioni in studio con me collabora il musicista Gabriele Paganoni che esegue le parti degli strumenti che io non suono, ma che pur sempre compongo.

Riguardo ai tuoi album. Quello del debutto è “I Giorni di Eurisko” del 2004. Per favore dicci qualcosa in più di questo album.

I giorni di Eurisko”, stampato nel dicembre 2004, è il prodotto, o meglio, il riassunto di tutte le varie influenze musicali che ho assimilato nel corso degli anni nella mia vita musicale. In questo album infatti si trovano piccoli accenni al progressive, qualche accenno alla musica classica e una dose più grande di cantautorato, essendomi dovuto adattare ai tempi in cui il progressive era stato dimenticato dal grande pubblico ed inconsciamente anche dalla mia vena creativa, per lo meno in quel periodo. Comunque ho potuto lo stesso dare libero sfogo a tutta la mia creatività, e questo, credo, lo si può capire bene ascoltando l'album.

Il tuo secondo album “Lavori in Corso” del 2006. Per favore dicci qualcosa in più di questo album.

Sul finire della realizzazione di “I giorni di Eurisko”, in particolare quando composi “One Way” e “Tu Sai”, compresi che dovevo comporre la musica che più di ogni altra ho sempre amato e ricercato, il Progressive rock sinfonico”! Così realizzai “Lavori in corso” dando libero sfogo a tutto il progressive che risiede nelle mie viscere e che ho assorbito fin dalla mia infanzia e adolescenza. E credo di aver fatto un buon lavoro … non credete anche voi? …

Il tuo terzo e per ora ultimo album “Ritratto di Ballerina” seguito nel 2009. Per favore dicci qualcosa in più di questo album.

Ritratto di ballerina” è invece un concentrato purissimo e fortissimo di ogni sentimento di sofferenza e di tensione che poi sfocia, sul finire, (compresa la traccia fantasma, ma non troppo fantasma: la cover “Emozioni” di Battisti/Mogol) con un soffio di serenità che smorza le forti ed intense sensazioni di sofferenza e tensione precedenti, come a voler dare un lieto fine.

Il motivo di tutta questa tensione è dovuto al fatto che io volevo esprimere in musica tutta la sofferenza che prova l'artista nel tentativo di emergere ed essere conosciuto, per poter vivere della propria arte. Ma alla fine di questo delicato lavoro mi sono dovuto imbattere con una sofferenza ben più grande: la perdita terrena di mio Papà (al quale è dedicato tutto questo lavoro). Il lieto fine vuole esprimere la realizzazione dell’artista nel raggiungimento della sua meta e in parallelo, riguardo la dura esperienza nella vicenda di mio Papà, la consapevolezza del luogo che ha raggiunto, che rende vana ogni ambizione terrena. E da qui nasce anche l'idea della copertina. Infatti la copertina che avevo originariamente ideato durante la realizzazione delle composizioni musicali era totalmente differente: volevo infatti raffigurare con un disegno una piccola danzatrice che danza davanti ad un ritratto di una famosa ballerina, ma mentre cercavo chi potesse disegnare questa idea, a motivo di questa indelebile e gravosa esperienza, ho pensato ad un'altra copertina che rappresentasse il mio profondo dolore per l'allontanamento fisico di mio papà da me. La luce sul retro della copertina rappresenta l'entrata di mio papà nel Paradiso (proprio quel Gan Eden), ma questa volta quello spirituale, che è il vero Paradiso di DIO nella dimensione reale delle cose, mentre sul davanti della copertina una sorta di logo del mio nome d'arte.

Com'è il processo creativo nella tua band dall'idea iniziale fino alla registrazione finale?

Compongo la mia musica e i testi a casa nel mio piccolissimo studio, poi, quando ho chiaro nella mente ogni cosa del brano, chiamo Gabriele e vado da lui a registrare tutte le mie parti strumentali, dopodiché spiego a lui le parti che deve eseguire. Quando poi tutte le parti strumentali sono state registrate esattamente come le ho nella testa, vado in altro studio per le registrazioni di canto; dopo questo chiudo il brano e si passa al successivo.

Per quelli di noi che non conoscono la tua musica; come descriveresti la tua musica e a quali band ti paragoni?

I gruppi progressivi che ho sempre amato e assorbito sono: Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant, Yes, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso e altri simili a questi, è quindi chiaro che essendomi nutrito di queste espressioni musicali sono questi i nomi a cui mi accomuno.

Quanto sei attivo nella scena live e festival? Suoni dal vivo?

Purtroppo non faccio live per motivi evidenti, infatti, come ho detto prima, essendo solo, a parte quell'unico musicista che collabora con me per le registrazioni in studio, è impensabile salire sul palco con le basi in play-back per cantarci sopra dal vivo, specialmente parlando di musica prog, quindi ho lasciato perdere questo tipo di esperienza.

Quali sono gli ultimi aggiornamenti di Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie e i programmi per quest'anno e oltre?

Ho già composto molti brani del mio quarto album, ma purtroppo mancano i fondi per le loro registrazioni definitive. Il mondo professionale della musica è crudele! Non essendo riuscito a divenire un professionista in questo ambiente mi trovo in grande difficoltà per la realizzazione di questo mio nuovo lavoro. Probabilmente ci vorrà qualche anno in più per vedere pubblicato questo progetto. Staremo a vedere … chi vivrà vedrà … Comunque spero di poter realizzare questo mio nuovo fantastico sogno!

Per chiudere questa intervista, c'è qualcosa che vuoi aggiungere?

Non ho nient'altro da aggiungere, vi ringrazio moltissimo per questa opportunità che mi avete concesso per esprimere i miei pensieri e svelare chi e cosa c'è dietro Gan Eden – il Giardino delle Delizie !

Angelo Santo Lombardi

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - March 04 2011 at 11:49
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 13:27
I have Ritratto di Ballerina, but it's been a while since I played it, though I remember enjoying it. Thanks for the interview. 

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 17:07

Another nice interview!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 14:02