Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Guapo album due next year!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guapo album due next year!
    Posted: March 01 2011 at 14:57
Following a year's hiatus in 2010 Guapo are currently resuming work on a new album for Cuneiform Records.

It is with regret we announce our split with keyboardist Daniel O Sullivan but are happy to announce his replacement as Emmett Elvin.
Both David J Smith and Kavus Torabi have played previously in Chrome Hoof with Elvin who also plays keyboards in Kavus Torabi's psychedelic band Knifeworld.
Guapo wish Daniel O Sullivan all the best with the many projects he is involved with.

The new album will see a return to the 'long form' composition of Five Suns and Black Oni while covering much ground previously unexplored by the group.

David J Smith has been editing and mixing the footage and audio from the performance of Five Suns at NearFest 2006 with artist & filmaker Tai Shani and engineer Antti Uusimaki. A memorable day in many respects, not least for the fact that the band were rushed through the night in two taxi cabs from Phillidelphia after our van broke down, leaving barely enough time to down a coffee before gracing the stage that afternoon. The results will be available as a bonus DVD with the new album on Cuneiform in 2012

Guapo will be resuming live duties in the Autumn and are planning a number of dates in the UK and mainland Europe in October followed by a short USA tour in November including a performance at John Zorn's N.Y. venue The Stone as part of Cuneiform's festival there.

Dates will be forthcoming when confirmed.

Many thanks for your continued support.

Guapo.

For a detailed and considered response to this news, be sure to check out my latest blog post! Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 15:13
I saw new Guapo album and was all HELL YEAH, but no O'Sullivan?  Unhappy 

Oh well, still really looking forward to the release!

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

For a detailed and considered response to this news, be sure to check out my latest blog post! 

LOL

Edited by Padraic - March 01 2011 at 15:14
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 15:43
Thank god...I've been waiting for it for awhile. Didn't know they took a break, would have helped. But, yes...O'Sullivan leaving is a bit a bad news. Don't know this new guy, but he seems to have a good rapport with the group already so hopefully thats a good sign. And I do like long form compositions.

Great news about playing at the Stone as well! I'll definitely be going.  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 15:54
Yes, the bit about the return to the long form composition is certainly welcome news.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 05:36
I can only echo your carefully thought out, nuanced respose to this news David. I'm not that surprised, to be honest - I had wondered how D::O::S could possibly fit Guapo in with his other commitments, and although he was a key element in the mighty 5 Suns trilogy Guapo existed for a long time before he joined - a similar situation to Andy Kirk in Univers Zero, perhaps - and it's not impossible that he'll be involved again at some point in the future.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply