Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keith Emerson's opinion on Jurgen Fritz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keith Emerson's opinion on Jurgen Fritz?
    Posted: March 02 2011 at 14:54
I resort to proggers with more knowhow than me to satisfy this curiosity question.

Does anybody know if Keith Emerson ever gave any opinions on Triumvirat's Jurgen Fritz?

Did he praise him? did he despise him as his copycat? did he just ignore him?

Did Keith ever make any statements about Jurgen? (or about Triumvirat's music for what matters)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 16:32
I don't know but I am quite interested in this as well. If anyone knows its probably Ivan.Smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 18:27
We should take bets.  My money is on Dick Heath.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 20:34
Hi,

My money is that Keith couldn't give a damn ... I imagine that he was probably more blown away by PFM and Banco than otherwise ... after all ... he did release their albums!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 22:24
A very interesting question-i don't know, but am really curious about that. In a recent interview, Emerson was asked who is the keyboard player that he feels is woefully under-rated,  and he mentioned Brian Auger.
            At the other end of things, when Triumvirat were touring the States, Jurgen Fritz was interviewed and asked "that question"-What do you think of all the talk about Triumvirat sounding like ELP, and he responded "Well, i'm flattered. But there are aspects of Triumvirat's sound that are similar to ELP, and aspects that are different."

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 23:48
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

When Triumvirat were touring the States, Jurgen Fritz was interviewed and asked "that question"-What do you think of all the talk about Triumvirat sounding like ELP, and he responded "Well, i'm flattered. But there are aspects of Triumvirat's sound that are similar to ELP, and aspects that are different."

Which is certainly true.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 15:35
I think the only similarity between Triumvirat & ELP was the instrumentation. With Lake in the band it gave ELP another dimension. A baladeer to provide some respite from the insanity. If you're going to ask that question you might as well ask what Emerson thought about Rick van der Linden ( I'm pretty sure that they met at least once ). I know that he's not too crazy about Wakeman mentioned something about Wakeman. He mentioned something to that effect in Pictures Of An Exhibitionist. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think the only similarity between Triumvirat & ELP was the instrumentation. With Lake in the band it gave ELP another dimension. A baladeer to provide some respite from the insanity. If you're going to ask that question you might as well ask what Emerson thought about Rick van der Linden ( I'm pretty sure that they met at least once ). I know that he's not too crazy about Wakeman mentioned something about Wakeman. He mentioned something to that effect in Pictures Of An Exhibitionist. 
Of course, Triumvirat had it's astounding singer-guitar players, the most important in my mind the late Helmut Koellen, who played in Illusions and Spartacus. I had also always wondered what Greg Lake would have made of Koellen. Through his web-site, i e-mailed Lake directly about just that, and got no response at all. Oh, well
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 16:10
So we don't know then and Ivan hasn't jumped on this thread yet.

Anyway Keith did rate Rick Wakeman but Ricks 'Keith,who?' comment in the press at the time didn't help matters much and they had a supposed long running feud. According to Wakeman this was massively overhyped by the music press and fueled by their own record companies!

Its well known that Emerson had the greatest respect for Jon Lord and probably still does. I also read that he liked Genesis and Gentle Giant so by extension that he also liked/rated Banks and Minnear.

As for PFM I'm not sure. I think it was Greg Lake who was keen on them. That said ELP did support PFM when they played in their native Italy which shows great respect in itself.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 16:58
About PFM, also in my understanding it was Greg Lake who was especially keen on them and brought them to Manticore and Pete Sinfield, not Keith.

I also believe that the duel between Keith and Rick Wakeman was in good measure fuelled by the media, but in any case they were both quite egocentric so their personalities surely helped the dicotomy.

Back to the topic of Keith and Jurgen, I was just thinking that Keith might have appreciated Jurgen as being one of the very few who shared his vision of what prog rock should be like. There are certainly differences between ELP and Triumvirat, of course, but nobody can deny that Jurgen's vision of prog was very similar to Keith's. But then again, Keith being so egocentric it is very possible that he never gave a damn about Jurgen...

I admit that I do not know Rick Van Der Linden's work. Is it worth it? 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 19:10
 Regarding his connection with Banco, i read somewhere that Keith actually saw the band at one point in Italy, and of course, they were on Manticore at one point like PFM.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 19:40
You guys may have missed Keith and Rick on Rick's weekly radio program
about two months ago.

They bantered back and forth for two hours between playing songs.
They're friends and have a recording planned, I believe.  A collaboration of some
sort has been mentioned at Wakeman's website now for a few years.

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 17:28
I read somewhere on the Triumvirat.net site that Emerson knows Jurgen Fritz. Still doesn't answer this thread's question, though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 19:31
You just don't get an amazing Hammond tone like Keith's by fluke...............Fritz is still bloody marvellous. 
It's very curious that most bands are so caught up in their own world, 100% focus on their own work, that they hardly find time to hear a lot of what's out there...........
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 02:01
First of all, I think Triumvirat is a very good band that I got to know when their album Spartacus was first released.

That being said, I find that especially with Illusiions and Spartacus they were not just paying tribute to ELP, to my mind they were pure plagiarists concerning instrumentation, sound, and (to a slightly lesser extent) composition.

I see no reason to beat about the bush here because, you see, I don't mind! The spirit of ELP was going downhill fast with the release of Works Volume 1, and Triumvirat were there to, at least for a short while, fill the void, which was a very good thing to the EPL-starved enthusiast. So good on them.

But I don't see that it does them any good, even in retrospect, to construct some non-existent originality around them, ignoring the facts that are plainly there for all to hear. Even so, Illusions and Spartacus are and always will be brilliant albums.

It's a damn shame that ELP and Triumvirat both lost the plot badly shorty afterwards. Anything following Brain Salad Surgery and Spartacus, although not that bad, couldn't compare to what had gone before.

No offense, Doug

Edited by npjnpj - April 25 2013 at 02:03
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 16:15
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

First of all, I think Triumvirat is a very good band that I got to know when their album Spartacus was first released.That being said, I find that especially with Illusiions and Spartacus they were not just paying tribute to ELP, to my mind they were pure plagiarists concerning instrumentation, sound, and (to a slightly lesser extent) composition.I see no reason to beat about the bush here because, you see, I don't mind! The spirit of ELP was going downhill fast with the release of Works Volume 1, and Triumvirat were there to, at least for a short while, fill the void, which was a very good thing to the EPL-starved enthusiast. So good on them.But I don't see that it does them any good, even in retrospect, to construct some non-existent originality around them, ignoring the facts that are plainly there for all to hear. Even so, Illusions and Spartacus are and always will be brilliant albums.It's a damn shame that ELP and Triumvirat both lost the plot badly shorty afterwards. Anything following Brain Salad Surgery and Spartacus, although not that bad, couldn't compare to what had gone before.No offense, Doug

No harm done-interesting to hear your views and perspectives. I pretty well agree that post Spartacus Triumvirat, progressive rock speaking, went steadily downhill, though i have found other aspects that came to the fore in the later albums to be appealing in their own right. There is not much post BSS ELP that i have heard, so can't properly venture a perspective on that.
        I find it interesting how a single band, like Triumvirat or ELP, can create so many views, and combinations of views, in the listening audience. I guess if we all felt the same about it, it would be a pretty boring world out there.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 01:41
ELP ceased to be a proper band after 1974 only returning in 1977 because their record company discouraged them from releasing solo albums. They were all individually working on music that used orchestration so the Works project made sense commercially but did untold damage to their reputation imo. Black Moon and the subsequent tour in the 90's was at least a decent swansong ( or could have been if they hadn't got caught up in record company politics once again)

Triumvrat I know less about and only own the first 3 albums. They seem a lot less bombastic than ELP. ELP loved their theatrics (as did their fans) but Triumvirat tried to add something a bit more grounded and 'human' to their music while ELP were caught up in sci fi and grandiose concepts. Musically they have obvious similarites as pointed out but in essence they seem very different,
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 03:30
I've read loads of interviews with Emerson over the years and can't recall him ever mentioning Triumvirat or Jurgen Fritz. The keyboardists he most often talks about are jazz players like Brother Jack McDuff, Dave Brubeck and Oscar Peterson, and on the more rock side of things Brian Auger, Jon Lord and Don Shinn. He did once say the first pianist he ever liked was Russ Conway!

Edited by Cactus Choir - April 26 2013 at 03:33
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 05:27
I haven't valued his opinions in the past. He once stated that Randy Bachman was a great guitarist and I have never heard any guitar work with ..THE GUESS WHO or B.T.O. that stands the test of time or hardly compares to the average standard playing Rock guitarist of the 70's. To be such an outstanding pianist..you would think Emerson might mention John McLaughlin or Holdsworth. Here is a musician that likes Scott Joplin and he's telling you that Randy Bachman, the guy who plays guitar on that moronic song "American Woman" is outstanding? I mean..did I miss something? He seemed to dislike Patrick Moraz when Refugee was formed..if memory serves..and if so it's self explanatory why anger/jealousy developed within him when he watched a new Classical pianist performing with x-NICE members. I have not much faith in his opinions.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 14:21
rock stars live in adifferent world. Hollywod stars live in adifferent world. Same planet different f**king world. I live in a different world from just about everyone on this site.

this is my world :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8124lhm6d7o

That was me. F-111 was a Rolls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>