Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keith Emerson's opinion on Jurgen Fritz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:30
I heard something insightful about this question recently from new PA member "Inceptional".
          He met Keith, and asked him what he thought of Jurgen Fritz, and Emerson had pretty well  nothing but nice things to say about him. He remarked that Fritz was "an exceptionally clean player", for example.

Edited by presdoug - August 29 2014 at 06:54
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:31
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I heard something insightful about this question recently from new PA member "Inceptional".
          He met Keith, and asked him what he thought of Jurgen Fritz, and Emerson had pretty well  nothing but nice things to say about him. He remarked that Fritz was "an exceptionally clean player", for example.
Good to hear that! thanks for posting it Smile
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 08:18
I still find it hard to  believe that Emerson cannot recall collaborating with PH for Empire of Delight track on a Hammill album. There is a youtube clip somewhere of a radio phone in and when asked about the experience of working with PH he looks totally blank (gormeless) saying" did I".....

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 00:22

I heard something insightful about this question recently from new PA member "Inceptional".          He met Keith, and asked him what he thought of Jurgen Fritz, and Emerson had pretty well  nothing but nice things to say about him. He remarked that Fritz was "an exceptionally clean player", for example.

That's cool!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:59
Very good question. We should also have a thread where we ask what Pink Floyd thought of Eloy or what YES thought of Starcastle. Tongue 

Anyway, I remember hearing somewhere when asked what other keyboard plays Keith Emerson admired he mentioned Jon Lord. I also wonder what he thought of Rod Argent. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 14:34
Who cares what Emerson thinks. He lost his right to an opinion after releasing Love Beach.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 09:48
Emerson did heap praise on Jordan Rudess on a recent radio show on Planet Rock radio ( actually he was sitting in for Darren Redick and was helped by his son Damon). Can't remember his exact comments if I'm honest although he was quite pleased with Jordan's work on the Magna Carta tribute version of Tarkus.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Who cares what Emerson thinks. He lost his right to an opinion after releasing Love Beach.
LOL

I know this thread is about his thoughts on Fritz but regarding ELP I have always wondered why they felt it necessary to put  silly short 'comedic songs' on their albums which for me ruined the flow of the longer nice pieces they did.
Unhappy
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 12:31
I would imagine Keith took the high road and didn't comply with any questions suggesting a comparison. Then again, what do I know?
ProgFather View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgFather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 18:00
Bumped into this forum/ thread whilst surfing around looking for info on Helmut Kollen's LP. The discussion interested me enough to read the entire thread and thought I would leave a post with a little input IMHO.

Having purchased the Triumrivat LPs in the decade of their release, at that time I was disposed to believe (along with the majority of my prog-rock peers)  that the group was an "ELP clone".

I know now that was an unfair snap judgement based on my knee-jerk reaction mostly to Fritz being deft enough to hone his B3 sound close to Keith's and cleverly adopting (likely out of admiration) some of his technique.

Strangely enough even though we scorned them, I would keep purchasing the new LP releases, at least to Ala Carte anyway where I finally abandoned them for leaving their prog-roots. But those first 3 albums are certainly products of genius, especially "Double Dimple" -- which displays the influences of many bands on Fritz's compositions.

Does anyone besides me think they heard a little Beatles influence in IOADD?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 21:20
^Greetings, ProgFather, and welcome to PA and our forums!
                      Your post is interesting. Yes, I would say that there is a bit of a Beatle's vibe in IOADD. Never heard such a view articulated by anybody until by you now, though.
                     I know that some of the Triumvirat members were big Beatles fans, like Helmut Koellen and Barry Palmer, for example. The two of them used to like talking about the Beatles while having some beer.
jhelm_waterw View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhelm_waterw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:11
Having first been turned onto Emo, I can't really explain why I never harbored my predictable disdain for others that followed a similar sonic path (like Jurgen Fritz). (I normally despise "copycats") But... there was something about the songwriting of Fritz and Triumverat that was quite different from ELP and truly melodically appealing. They were decidedly less complex than some of the bombastic ELP offerings. But some of the Triumverat songs were just flat out great. I somehow managed to get past the superficial instrumentation/sonic similarities. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL

I know this thread is about his thoughts on Fritz but regarding ELP I have always wondered why they felt it necessary to put  silly short 'comedic songs' on their albums which for me ruined the flow of the longer nice pieces they did.
Unhappy
Comic relief. Like eating crackers between wine tastings, cleanses the pallet for the next round. Understandably not everyone gets it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:40
Originally posted by jhelm_waterw jhelm_waterw wrote:

(I normally despise "copycats") But... there was something about the songwriting of Fritz and Triumverat that was quite different from ELP and truly melodically appealing. They were decidedly less complex than some of the bombastic ELP offerings. But some of the Triumverat songs were just flat out great.
I agree 100%. While there will always be comparisons made between these two groups T-Rat had unique song writing that was original and powerful. It was more a sonic similarity than a song writing one IMO.

As a side note, I remember first hearing Mediterranean Tales being played in a record store i used to frequent as a teen. I went up to the register and asked the guy who it was. He showed me the album and I said I'd like to buy it. It was considered an import and cost me around $18 if I recall. I gave him my money (lots of small bills and he put the album in a bag an off home I went. When I pulled the album out of the bag there was all my money sitting in the bag. I think he must have been a little buzzed and forgot to put the money in the register. Being a kid I thought I'd hit the jackpot. Great prog album at no cost. I bought all of there subsequent albums whenever one was found.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:54
Originally posted by jhelm_waterw jhelm_waterw wrote:

Having first been turned onto Emo, I can't really explain why I never harbored my predictable disdain for others that followed a similar sonic path (like Jurgen Fritz). (I normally despise "copycats") But... there was something about the songwriting of Fritz and Triumverat that was quite different from ELP and truly melodically appealing. They were decidedly less complex than some of the bombastic ELP offerings. But some of the Triumverat songs were just flat out great. I somehow managed to get past the superficial instrumentation/sonic similarities. 

I would like to address this as an ELP fan because its very difficult to compare the two based on their musical output. Only Illusions is really ELP like and Triumvirat to their credit pulled off a 2 track LP and that is something that ELP never did. As a pure expression of symphonic prog there is probably nothing better unless you go searching all those RPI releases , and there are a great many! However other Triumvirat albums are not very ELP like at all. Spartacus was always a toughie for me because I find it a bit 'wimpie' mainly because of Barry Palmer's vocals and the subject matter. I struggle a little with that although the instrumental bits are impressive. The first Triumvirat album is very much proto prog and should be considered more like Emerson's former band The Nice. After Spartacus there is a law of diminishing returns as even Doug would probably admit.
The problem with ELP is that their best tracks are scattered across several albums. They were never focused enough to produce an album like Illusions On A Double Dimple possibly because of the clashing egos within the band. Much of the bombast was 3 massive talents vying for space in the music. Triumvirat were perhaps able to avoid this pitfall and Illusions is less overbearing and more smoother and flows better than anything ELP ever did (including Tarkus). But history tells us ELP were more important and actually I think that is right. They made a mark and the blazed a trail for others like Triumvirat and Le Orme to follow.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:26
^What Richard said, and I like Spartacus and Old Loves Die Hard the best of T'rat's discography, and I concur that they sound unlike anything ELP would have recorded, especially the title track of Spartacus. Atmosphere wasn't a quality that ELP as a whole seemed to specialize in, though there's plenty of it in their solo output.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:45
^Yes, interesting post, Richard, and some important insights on your part. As pretty well every band has influences, T'rat, of course did, but as you've pointed out, they do things ELP don't do, and vica versa. To me, Triumvirat sound like Triumvirat. btw, Helmut Koellen is the vocalist on Spartacus, not Barry Palmer.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 01:17

^Yes, interesting post, Richard, and some important insights on your part. As pretty well every band has influences, T'rat, of course did, but as you've pointed out, they do things ELP don't do, and vica versa. To me, Triumvirat sound like Triumvirat. btw, Helmut Koellen is the vocalist on Spartacus, not Barry Palmer.

Thanks Doug for clarifying. I think the vocals are perhaps the single most distinctive difference between the bands.Lake has one of the voices that can make anything sound important. A lot of symph bands fall down on this although I'm not saying that's the case with Triumvirat , more my individual taste (I like a good baritone in prog!)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 04:10
H'm  Triumvirat - another band who's CD's I have in my collection - Spartacus, and Illusions on a.....I don't think either of these hit me on the first spin - and I think that I may not have even spun Illusions at all!!!
Crap - I've got shedloads to listen to - but I always feel like playing with an old-friend....what a Dial-Emma !!!

Edited by M27Barney - April 28 2015 at 04:11
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 15:44
As an aside, I think Jürgen Fritz deserves the same bashing for anything from Pompeii upwards as Emerson gets for Love Beach, although personally I enjoy LB, whereas I cannot think of anything good to say about A La Carte and Russian Roulette. Very apt title, by the way if you imagine all six chambers to be loaded in this case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>