Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeventh Wonder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seventh Wonder
    Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:03
I only came across this band recently, but I was instantly struck with just how fantastic the music was, especially on their last two albums, Mercy Falls, and The Great Escape. The 30 minute epic that shares its name with the latter album has been essentially on repeat on my iTunes for the last week and a half.

I also personally think that they pretty much transcend their collection of prog metal influences, and use relatively typical genre styles to absolutely brilliant effect. And Tommy Karevik is just a God of a vocalist.

I was just wondering what other people's opinions of this band were, considering I haven't been able to see that many opinions, considering they aren't necessarily the most well-known of bands. I'm just interested to see where everyone stands on them!
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:09

a band that listened too much to DT's 'Images and Words'.

When listening to 'waiting in the wings' or 'mercy falls', it's hard not to think about images and dreams.

That said, I like that band. The great escape is less catchy than the previous albums but still good.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Porcupinetheater View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:13
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

a band that listened too much to DT's 'Images and Words'.

When listening to 'waiting in the wings' or 'mercy falls', it's hard not to think about images and dreams.

That said, I like that band. The great escape is less catchy than the previous albums but still good.

Yeah, I definitely think the Dream Theater influence comes through heavily on those, especially Waiting in the Wings. Still, Images and Words is a kick-ass album, so I guess I don't find myself minding too much in that regard...
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 16:17
Fantastic band, I don't think they've ever released a bad album.
Islandstone View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 18:43

Good band, happy to see a thread about them. I don't own any of their albums(yet), as they are hard to find in stores here in Norway. Spotify comes to the rescue...

Yes, Tommy is an awesome vocalist, in a band with impressive musicians. 

I do think they get too "poppy" sometimes,though; listen to the chorus of "Long way home" from The Great Escape for example. 

Porcupinetheater View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 19:47
Originally posted by Islandstone Islandstone wrote:

Good band, happy to see a thread about them. I don't own any of their albums(yet), as they are hard to find in stores here in Norway. Spotify comes to the rescue...

Yes, Tommy is an awesome vocalist, in a band with impressive musicians. 

I do think they get too "poppy" sometimes,though; listen to the chorus of "Long way home" from The Great Escape for example. 

They do go occasionally poppy, but they do add their signature sound to it, and they do it so much better than everyone else, I actually don't really have a problem with it! Go figure, cause usually I'm burning pop songs at the stake. And can you get any of the albums on Amazon out there?
angeoand View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I Am Spam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 00:43
Clap     

hello anyone
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:47
Hello SW fans!  The ONLY reason this band is not my absolute #1 favorite is that they only have 4 albums....
Wink

Anybody feeling cautiously optimistic about the Kamelot news and how it might affect Seventh Wonder?

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:51
Originally posted by angeoand angeoand wrote:

Clap     

hello anyone

Anyone?  ANYONE?  ANYONE?

GO AWAY.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:52
Oh, I just realized that spam post was over a year old. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 16:56
Jacob, are you a SW fan?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 18:44
Good and talented band, but drinks too much from Dream Theater, A.C.T. and Symphony Xfor inspiration IMO, which means: they don't sound original at all.  I, for one, don't like them too much. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 23:25
^ Shows how much you understand. They have quite a distinct methodology and sound.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 01:17
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

^ Shows how much you understand. They have quite a distinct methodology and sound.

I'm admitedly not a fan, but I can easily recognise their influences and they are so damn obvious it sometimes bears similarities with plagiarism, as far as I can tell from their latest album.

For example, Wiseman painfully remembers Symphony X's 2002 album The Odyssey, as well as other songs, such as The Anglemaker and Move on Though. The latter also has some mixture of 90's SX around Divine Wings, as does the song Long Way Home, which is very similarly composed as Divine Wings "ballads". There's also some considerable dose of AOR/melodic rock there as well.

The A.C.T. influence is mainly focused on the song Alley Cat, even though I can still hear some things here and there throughout the album.

There is also some Dream Theater influence in the guitar work and how the musical phrases develop mimicking Jonh Petrucci's.

i'm pretty sure there's something else that I still can't quite put my finger on.

The most "original" songs on the album IMO are King of Whitewater and the epic, being the first still somewhat reminescent of the said influences. The epic, though, is some really good piece of prog metal, mostly original, though I can still sense SX's V - Mythology Suite all over it.

That said, I have only checked their latest album and, for the most part, this band seems to be the SX equivalent to Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 08:31
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I'm admitedly not a fan, but I can easily recognise their influences and they are so damn obvious it sometimes bears similarities with plagiarism, as far as I can tell from their latest album.

For example, Wiseman painfully remembers Symphony X's 2002 album The Odyssey, as well as other songs, such as The Anglemaker and Move on Though. The latter also has some mixture of 90's SX around Divine Wings, as does the song Long Way Home, which is very similarly composed as Divine Wings "ballads". There's also some considerable dose of AOR/melodic rock there as well.

The A.C.T. influence is mainly focused on the song Alley Cat, even though I can still hear some things here and there throughout the album.

There is also some Dream Theater influence in the guitar work and how the musical phrases develop mimicking Jonh Petrucci's.

i'm pretty sure there's something else that I still can't quite put my finger on.

The most "original" songs on the album IMO are King of Whitewater and the epic, being the first still somewhat reminescent of the said influences. The epic, though, is some really good piece of prog metal, mostly original, though I can still sense SX's V - Mythology Suite all over it.

That said, I have only checked their latest album and, for the most part, this band seems to be the SX equivalent to Pagan's Mind plagiarism to DT.

SO...WHAT.  Give me a band you like and I'm sure I can come up with comparisons to other things.  That doesn't mean they are not a good band, and it doesn't mean they don't have their own unique and distinct style.  Every band is influenced by someone.  Those songs you mentioned?  I really don't hear the influences you're talking about.  I mean, kind of...MAYBE.  Plagiarism?  Not in any way, shape or form, sorry.

Seventh Wonder has this method I find incredibly unique where Tommy Karevik, the singer, almost sounds like he is separated from the band - almost like he is singing a melody for a pop song on top of their complex poly-rhythmic layers.  I played some SW for someone who had never heard them the other day and he immediately noticed this too.  If you can't hear that and don't think it's unique, then don't listen.  Plain and simple.

And on top of this unique element, Andreas Blomqvist is, I believe, THE best bassist in rock.  My rakings for bassist would go:
Victor Wooten
Andreas Blomqvist
Billy Sheehan

Edited by dtguitarfan - June 23 2012 at 08:31
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 10:59

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

SO...WHAT.  Give me a band you like and I'm sure I can come up with comparisons to other things.  That doesn't mean they are not a good band, and it doesn't mean they don't have their own unique and distinct style.  Every band is influenced by someone.  Those songs you mentioned?  I really don't hear the influences you're talking about.  I mean, kind of...MAYBE.  Plagiarism?  Not in any way, shape or form, sorry.

Seventh Wonder has this method I find incredibly unique where Tommy Karevik, the singer, almost sounds like he is separated from the band - almost like he is singing a melody for a pop song on top of their complex poly-rhythmic layers.  I played some SW for someone who had never heard them the other day and he immediately noticed this too.  If you can't hear that and don't think it's unique, then don't listen.  Plain and simple.

And on top of this unique element, Andreas Blomqvist is, I believe, THE best bassist in rock.  My rakings for bassist would go:
Victor Wooten
Andreas Blomqvist
Billy Sheehan

First of all, you should know that I don't think they are bad, as I mentioned in my very first post:
Quote [Seventh Wonder is a]Good and talented band

However, thet does not makes them special either and you should be realizing that. I too have my share of bands that people say they are derivative or plagiarists (such as Glass Hammer or Triumvirat), but that does not keep me from both enjoying them and acknologing their "weaknesses".

As for the comnpositioning techniques, that does not make them unique as well. It may be different from the traditional pop or mainstream music compositioning, but that's fairly commonplace for progressive rock. If I recall correctly, Yes was quite proficient at that, among the classic progressive rock bands.

Regarding my favorite bands, I don't know about all of them having some very noticeable influence from another artists/band in particular, because many of them are classical prog rock bands and I would have to go even further back, which I don't intend to, but others do have very obvious influences that, at times, bear similarities with plagiarism. Dream Theater, for example (my all-time favorite band, alongside Pink Floyd) is a great example of that: starting in Falling into Infinity all their albums have a strong background influence of some sort (not counting that John Petrucci at many times sounds like Steve Morse): Falling into Infinity is VERY MUCH influenced by Queesnryche's album Promised Land; Scenes from a Memory is VERY MUCH infleunced by Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and has lines in Through my Words that are the very same as the begining of the title track of Pink Floyd's album Final Cut.

Just my two cents.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 11:42
CCVP - why are you still here?  Man, it ticks me off how the only point of this site anymore it seems is to trash artists.  This is a Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  Appreciate them or go away.

Every single artist out there can be listened to with one of two approaches:
1) Analyze them to death and figure out every similarity you can possibly find and then say "aha!  Plagiarism!" (by the way, just because it's SIMILAR does not make it plagiarism).
2) Appreciate them for what they are.

Every artist you have mentioned thus far I am very familiar with as they are favorites, I own every album, and have listened to every one a ridiculous amount of times.  And every single time I've listened to these albums I've found new things I APPRECIATED.  That's because I'm not LOOKING for things that are WRONG, I'm hearing all the amazing things they are doing that I could never hope to do and thinking "wow, that's great!"  And it makes music a much more enjoyable experience than me trying to figure out how I could possibly make a weak link to another artist and say "aha!  Plagiarism!"  (which it's not)

In conclusion - this is the Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  If you don't have something nice to say, stay out of it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:02
There are 12 notes in a chromatic scale.  When you play as many notes a minute as fast as Seventh Wonder does, you're bound to have a few in common with another artist or two.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:25

CCVP - why are you still here?  Man, it ticks me off how the only point of this site anymore it seems is to trash artists.  This is a Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  Appreciate them or go away.

Every single artist out there can be listened to with one of two approaches:
1) Analyze them to death and figure out every similarity you can possibly find and then say "aha!  Plagiarism!" (by the way, just because it's SIMILAR does not make it plagiarism).
2) Appreciate them for what they are.

Every artist you have mentioned thus far I am very familiar with as they are favorites, I own every album, and have listened to every one a ridiculous amount of times.  And every single time I've listened to these albums I've found new things I APPRECIATED.  That's because I'm not LOOKING for things that are WRONG, I'm hearing all the amazing things they are doing that I could never hope to do and thinking "wow, that's great!"  And it makes music a much more enjoyable experience than me trying to figure out how I could possibly make a weak link to another artist and say "aha!  Plagiarism!"  (which it's not)

In conclusion - this is the Seventh Wonder APPRECIATION thread.  If you don't have something nice to say, stay out of it.

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here; in order to appreciate a band for what they are, we have to acknowledge their weaknesses, also.  You and Caio may have a difference of opinon concerning whether Seventh Wonder is derivative or not, but his opinion being the more "negative" one doesn't mean it's illegitimate or shouldn't be voiced.  It's importatn that we listen to music critically as well as appreciatively; these two types of listening bolster each other and increase our overall understanding of music. 

To answer your first question, no, I'm not a fan, as I've never heard any of their material, but they sound like something I would enjoy (but then again, so does everything else on this site! LOL).  I'll try to check them out, your placing their bass player just below Victor Wooten makes me excited to hear his skill.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:32
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

There's nothing wrong with voicing a criticism of an artist here

Except that it seems that's all anyone does around here any more, and it's getting quite tiring.  "Yes sucks."  "Rush sucks."  "Jethro Tull sucks."  "Dream Theater sucks."  "Pink Floyd sucks."  It seems all anyone ever DOES in this forum any more is trash bands, no matter who they are.  I for one think it should be banned from the appreciation threads - they should be havens where one doesn't have to put up with that crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>