Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedabstract vangelis

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [45.45%]
6 [54.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: abstract vangelis
    Posted: March 13 2011 at 13:16
no i met him in a music shop in paris and he said ok for a date in a bar the day after
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 14:37
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

vangelis told me when i met him around 81 that the record company was furious about this album
Really interesting. Did you meet him at a concert?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 10:54
yes! i spent very long times through these sites , nice times, ther's an official vangelis site but nothing on it , strange!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 07:19
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 07:12
vangelis told me when i met him around 81 that the record company was furious about this album
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 03:06

Rumoured that Beauborg was a 'contractural obligation album'. Completely improvised from start to finish. Quite an interesting work although there is a fault with certain CD pressings.

Certainly has the best artwork of any Vangelis album for my money. I have the vinyl copy with the gatefold sleeve. Don't actually have a turntable to play the thing though!!

nice informative site about Vangelis

Edited by richardh - March 12 2011 at 03:07
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2011 at 02:55

didn't know an album has been released, you mean a live record?
I have a CD by them called 'In London'. Not actually live ,but a session they recorded together.The tracks:
1. In London (20 mins)
2. In London(after hours) (12.56)
3. In London (radio edit) (3.05)
Its okay basically. Probably rate it at 3/5 but no more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 17:16
didn't know an album has been released, you mean a live record?

Edited by jean-marie - March 11 2011 at 17:17
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 11:53
The album 'A Separate Affair' by Neuronium and Vangelis is okay...it could have been great if it had been a single or EP. Basically it's one theme in three (slightly) different remixes - the style is indeed somewhere between Vangelis and Neuronium, which is fine (I love Neuronum a lot - both older and newer works). It's an analog atmospheric piece with no sequences or rhythms, only textures, with a few melodies. Not too far away from old T.Dream/Schulze when they go atmospheric.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 11:31
about neuronium, i saw an extract, on you tube i think, about the bounty...well i don't know but remember for bladerunner it took several years before the record is released....ah! about the gig with neuronium, it's very spacey, and as you must already know ther're many unreleased old soundtrack. did tou listen to the whole bitter moon soundtrack? i never found the album, just know one piece from a compilation
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 10:59

all those interrested with these two albums should have a look to the dvd tittled geoges mathieu ou la fureur d'etre, it's from 1971 and  shows vangelis and the painter mathieu performing together , one painting and the other one playing
At one point in his career he recorded something with Neuronium. I have yet to hear it. Have you? Also I have often wondered why "The Bounty" was never released in it's entirety. Do you know why?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 09:44
Sounds interesting
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 09:43
all those interrested with these two albums should have a look to the dvd tittled geoges mathieu ou la fureur d'etre, it's from 1971 and  shows vangelis and the painter mathieu performing together , one painting and the other one playing
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 05:18
thank you everybody! your answers are quite interresting!! , i thought a while adding hypothesis but it's non official release and more jazz oriented anywaySmile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 05:03
I have both titles and I like "Invisible Connections" the best. Beaubourg hails from that magical period when Vangelis recorded for RCA. The domestic releases were sold in chain stores back in the late 70's. All I remember is a fellow comrad playing Beaubourg in the "Listening Booth" chain store in front of American record buyers who spent their money on FOGHAT, TED NUGENT, and DISCO DUCK. Those record buyers seemed to form expressions which one would have at a funeral. A long time ago, in a far away galaxy, things of this nature were funny. Watching people cringe at Vangelis music.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 23:15
Both the two have low rating likely because effectively are too hard to be liked by everybody. It doesn't mean that they are poor. Invisible Connections is the one that I can follow better as I find Beaubourga little bit darker. Invisible is made of the same matter of SciFi soundtracks like the Forbidden Planet and probably this is the reason why I find it more familiar. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 21:04
Good poll.  Clap  Both albums have the same rating, although Beaubourg has a lot more.  I even rated them the same.  Beaubourg is definitely the more complex, or I should say busier.  On that note, many would probably prefer it, and it is getting more votes, but for what reason is not always said.  That in itself tempts me to vote for it, but I think I will put mine in for Invisible Connections.  There is something . . .  about this recording that is more intriguing to me.  Beaubourg fills the aural space quite full, and over-full at times.  Invisible Connections, though, creates aural space, allowing one's listening experience to move in and out of the music.  It reminds me of how Debussy once defined music as the space between the notes.  The listener is not fed sounds in Invisible Connections.  Rather, the sounds are an invitation to an expansive mood, a place not just of sound but of an experience that invites the other senses in.  Of course, I am referring to the mind itself as a sense as well.  As I said in my review, Beaubourg reminds me of a city with all its bustle and cacophany.  I will take the open expanses of something like Invisible Connections over that chaos any day.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 20:32
Invisible connections is a bit too static for me. Beaubourg is brilliant; it reminds me of Stockhausen's works.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 20:05
Hi,

Beaubourg was more important when it came out.

And I like the guts to do what Vangelis did, at a time when he might have felt that his music was starting to get a bit too commercial for his tastes, and I think he wanted to let it all hang out to see where it would have taken him.

It's not an album that most Vangelis folks enjoy listening to or can sit through it. I happen to enjoy it, just like the other one, because I like trippy material that takes you away, and this album fits with the big ones for me ... like Sebastian In Traum and other pieces that are simply way out there ... and so expressive in their experiment, that most of us can not sit through it ... and Klaus' album "Audentity" fits into that mode as he is experimenting with digital stuff again, and taking it further.

I have always thought that one of these is what Tangerine Dream has been missing the past 15 years ... beautiful stuff since, but I really think that an album of "nothing" would be helpful in the process of studying new moments in time and music to help add freshness to their work, that I think has not been as exciting and far out as it has been in the past. Conversely, Klaus is still fooling around, and lately it has been with Lisa Garrard.

Vangelis, has always done something different ... and he has had Irene Pappas, noise and effects (Beaubourg), soundtracks, opera, ... a lot of different things to help him focus his visual music ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 15:16
which one gets you higher ?
 Post Reply Post Reply