FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassical

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical
    Posted: March 10 2011 at 22:22
I know there has to be some classical fans on this forum. I've just recently started getting into classical music. Gustav Holst's Planets Suite is what kicked the whole thing off. Other I really like are Wagner, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Dvorak, Mendehlson, Copland, and Mahler--mostly Romantic era. 

This is the song that got me started. I love metal, and it's easy to see the segway. 

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 07:35

My personal fav
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 08:24
I'm more a fan of 20th century composition and Baroque myself.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 11 2011 at 08:31
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 09:27
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

I know there has to be some classical fans on this forum. I've just recently started getting into classical music. Gustav Holst's Planets Suite is what kicked the whole thing off. Other I really like are Wagner, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Dvorak, Mendehlson, Copland, and Mahler--mostly Romantic era. 

This is the song that got me started. I love metal, and it's easy to see the segway. 

I assume everyone knows that King Crimson's Devil's Triangle is derived from "Mars, The Bringer Of War" and it is too obvious how Manfred Mann's Earth Band came up with the idea for the song "Joybringer". However, one must further make observation  to find a entire list of bands with pieces and especially hooks in prog that are directly lifted from Holst The Planets. The whole entire concept of Prog bands lifting signature melodies from Classical music and myself sitting endlessly for hours, listening to prog and attempting to make the connection to the specific composer who originally wrote it is something I have been obsessed with for years. It is a reality. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 15:30
Since you like the late Romantics, i would highly recommend the symphonies and masses of Anton Bruckner, and the tone poems of Richard Strauss-they are all examples of sublime musical genius!
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 16:25
Maybe french romantics, Ravel, Fauré, Franck, Chabrier, Jadin, Lekeu.
Or more contemporary artists like Debussy, Satie, Koechlin, Duruflé, Poulenc, Ibert, Dutilleux, Messiaen, Séverac (his piano music is close to Debussy's one).
Among russians, do not forget Rachmaninov's nocturnes, Scriabin's "poems" as well as the dark world of Schnittke.

German romantics are quite fine as well, Brahms's sextets, Schubert's impromptus and late quartets, Schumann's piano music.

And you should give a chance to Nielsen's music.

But actually there is a lot to like in every era, from Ancient greek music to contemporary music.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 21:56
I'll check out the recommendations for sure. What I've heard of Rachmaninov, Nielson, Bruckner and Strauss, I've liked. There's just so much out there. 
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply