Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Tubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:08
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

(...) Anyway - The Tubes - damn fine musicians, Theatre Rock, Art Rock, but not Prog Rock. They could be Prog Related but I don't see the point in adding them.

Why not?
Because while some Prog is Art Rock and some Art Rock is Prog, not all Art Rock is Prog. The Tubes were not influenced by Prog; they were no influence on Prog; although they were later produced by Rundgren they were not an integral part of the Prog Scene in the 1970s; it is significant that of all the extant genres of 1970s rock music they chose to parody, Prog Rock and its obvious excesses was not one of them. I could go on, but that's enough.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:27

(...) Anyway - The Tubes - damn fine musicians, Theatre Rock, Art Rock, but not Prog Rock. They could be Prog Related but I don't see the point in adding them.

Why not?
(...) The Tubes were not  influenced by Prog; (...)
LOL

The Tubes' debut album is progressive rock without a question.

Edited by Svetonio - April 04 2014 at 04:27
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:27

Why not?
(...) The Tubes weren't influenced by Prog; (...)
LOL

I question that completely. How is it Progressive Rock?
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:30

Why not?
LOL

Sometimes I have the impression that you're deaf.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:38

Why not?
LOL

Sometimes I get the impression that when people lose a discussion they revert to personal attacks. I also get the impression that when people make personal attacks they forfeit the right to continue in a discussion. 
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:50

Why not?
LOL

Sometimes I get the impression that when people lose a discussion they revert to personal attacks. I also get the impression that when people make personal attacks they forfeit the right to continue in a discussion. 
It was not a personal attack. In fact, the claim that The Tubes were not influenced by progressive rock, it can only be made by a deaf person, or person who never heard some prog, or a person who say that due to some other reason - e.g. to keep that gate to Prog Related section closed.

Edited by Svetonio - April 04 2014 at 04:56
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:51
Another personal attack. 

*sigh*
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 06:43
I guess, no matter how much loved a band is, such as The Tubes, not everything can be a Prog-related entry. Perhaps Elton John could be included in that case. How about fretless bass-ace Mick Karn ?? Sooooo many artists could be included here at archives, but there's a fine line between creative Pop/rock and Prog-related......
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 06:55
A very talented, entertaining and innovative parody band who initially assimilated some Proggy references but like every borrowed ingredient in their oeuvre, it's purpose was principally ironic, It's illustrative that these references were immediately abandoned as soon as Prog fell off the radar of the popular consciousnesses circa '76. Telling a fart gag about Samuel Beckett doesn't make you 'influenced by' Samuel Beckett now does it? Not Prog and I couldn't even make an argument for Prog Related.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 07:27
^ do you know any fart gags about Samuel Beckett, as a matter of interest?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 07:46
^ tried Googling for same but there is a dearth of intestinal gas related material for this celebrated author. Rumour has it though, that no-one would share a taxi with him in Paris....

Watt conceived for Mr. Graves a feeling little short of liking. In particular Mr. Graves’s way of speaking did not displease Watt. Mr. Graves pronounces th charmingly. Turd and fart, he said, for third and fourth. Watt liked these venerable saxon words. And when Mr. Graves, drinking on the sunny step his afternoon stout, looked up with a twinkle in his old blue eye, and said, in mock deprecation, Tis only me turd or fart, then Watt felt he was perhaps prostituting himself to some purpose.
(Samuel Beckett - Watt)

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 04 2014 at 07:52
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ tried Googling for same but there is a dearth of intestinal gas related material for this celebrated author. Rumour has it though, that no-one would share a taxi with him in Paris....

Watt conceived for Mr. Graves a feeling little short of liking. In particular Mr. Graves’s way of speaking did not displease Watt. Mr. Graves pronounces th charmingly. Turd and fart, he said, for third and fourth. Watt liked these venerable saxon words. And when Mr. Graves, drinking on the sunny step his afternoon stout, looked up with a twinkle in his old blue eye, and said, in mock deprecation, Tis only me turd or fart, then Watt felt he was perhaps prostituting himself to some purpose.
(Samuel Beckett - Watt)

Mr Beckett is duly cleared for inclusion in Fart-RelatedTongue
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:00
The only "problem" with that eventualy additon of The Tubes as Prog Related act aswell, is that proggy-British chauvinism.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:01
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

(Samuel Beckett - Watt)

Mr Beckett is duly cleared for inclusion in Fart-RelatedTongue

LOL Thanks for not following through to post fart
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:48
Way more so than 'The Tubes' I would argue that 'Alice Cooper' should be here. Music is a subjective thing and it plays differently to the ears of different individuals. My son was upset about his failure to get Stratovarius included here and I do agree with him fully in that regard in that to my ears 'Stratovarius' are in no uncertain terms a progressive act. The thing is that they are that to my ears and in my own collection they sit proudly in my Prog section - others may not see it that way and I personally accept that. There's no point in fighting about music - just love it for the reasons that you love it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:49

Why not?
LOL

It was not a personal attack. In fact, the claim that The Tubes were not influenced by progressive rock, it can only be made by a deaf person, or person who never heard some prog, or a person who say that due to some other reason - e.g. to keep that gate to Prog Related section closed.

You're walking a very fine line Svetonio. I don't think I've ever put on my "admin hat" with you - even when I've been most irritated by your conduct. Recently though, you've been very rude to people. Last time it was with Yam, who just so happens to be one of your only supporters on PA.
With this little back n forth with Dean though, you're pushing it. You can consider this a warning. If you don't clean up your act and start conversing with members in a kind and respectful manner, I will have absolutely no problem showing you the doorStern Smile Enough is enough.

Also, why on earth do you keep visiting this site, when we obviously aren't up to speed with your quasi views on what constitutes prog? Every time we end up here - ie you think something unquestionably is prawk and nobody else does, you throw a fit and start acting rude. 
Last chance boyo.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:36

The only "problem" with that eventualy additon of The Tubes as Prog Related act aswell, is that proggy-British chauvinism.

Admission to the category of Prog Related is determined by the Admin Team. How many of the current Admin team are British? Most people are prepared to forgive your gauche enthusiasm for music that may be of interest to PA, but eventually we just run out of largesse. Wise up numpty*, calling people deaf or chauvinistic just because they don't share your views makes you an unequivocal a.r.s.e. Yes, that's a personal attack so hit the report button and see how much I recant my sincerity

* Futile to Google this really

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Why not?
LOL

You're walking a very fine line Svetonio. I don't think I've ever put on my "admin hat" with you - even when I've been most irritated by your conduct. Recently though, you've been very rude to people. Last time it was with Yam, who just so happens to be one of your only supporters on PA.
With this little back n forth with Dean though, you're pushing it. You can consider this a warning. If you don't clean up your act and start conversing with members in a kind and respectful manner, I will have absolutely no problem showing you the doorStern Smile Enough is enough.

Also, why on earth do you keep visiting this site, when we obviously aren't up to speed with your quasi views on what constitutes prog? Every time we end up here - ie you think something unquestionably is prawk and nobody else does, you throw a fit and start acting rude. 
Last chance boyo.

David, I think it is fair to say that you are very angry when you are beautiful!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:39

Admission to the category of Prog Related is determined by the Admin Team. How many of the current Admin team are British? Most people are prepared to forgive your gauche enthusiasm for music that may be of interest to PA, but eventually we just run out of largesse. Wise up numpty*, calling people deaf or chauvinistic just because they don't share your views makes you an unequivocal a.r.s.e. Yes, that's a personal attack so hit the report button and see how much I recant my sincerity

So, self reporting your insults makes it okay. PA has the greatest forum for entertainment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

So, self reporting your insults makes it okay. PA has the greatest forum for entertainment.

Cognizance of non compliance to PA's published guidelines confers immunity ? Direct your inquiry to those who decide such matters.. Entertainment? you ain't even on the bill son....LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>