Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLiam Davison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liam Davison
    Posted: March 18 2011 at 06:47
Liam Davison, guitarist with British prog folk band Mostly Autumn, has released a solo album called "A Treasure Of Well Set Jewels". It goes on general release 21st March 2011, but is already available direct from the distributor Wymer Records: http://www.wymeruk.co.uk/Store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1330.

The album is a logical  extension of his work with Mostly Autumn, and features guest performances from several members and ex-members of that band, notably Heather Findlay, Iain Jennings and Gavin Griffiths, but also includes contributions from Paul Teasdale (Breathing Space), and Panic Room's Anne-Marie Helder. Production is superbly handled by John Spence. The album promises to be really excellent, and I suggest that Liam be given a page of his own on Progarchives website. 

Sadly I don't have any mp3 samples of the album as yet to be able to make a formal recommendation for inclusion as per the official guidelines, but any help would be much appreciated. A YouTube promotional video for the album is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69EWulEqTGQ

Tracklist:
1. Ride The Seventh Wave (4:43)
2. The Way We Were (5:43)
3. Emerald Eternity (2:06)
4. Eternally Yours (4:53)
5. In To The Setting Sun (7:34)
6. Once In A Lifetime (4:34)
7. Heading Home (6:38)
8. Picture Postcard (8:50)
9. A Moment Of Silence (2:21)
10. Immortalized (5:57)

Bonus video Liam's Treasure.

Edited by progrockfreak - March 18 2011 at 06:56
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 07:07
Let us know when more samples appear. In case you heard the album, what prog genre do you think the music fits in?
progrockfreak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 07:51
I have ordered the CD.
As soon as I get it, if not already done by someone else, I will send full samples. Not sure what genre it will best represent as yet - I doubt it will fit easily into any single category - seems as though there will be a fair mixture of styles on it!
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 18:32
Thanks for the info. Ordered a copy too.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 15:15
Still waiting for the CD - Wymer's website was apparently hit by a hack last week, and is still not completely fixed. Some recent reviews of the album suggest it will be well worth the wait though.
And the text of an interview with the man:
There don't appear to be any samples from the album anywhere to listen to.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 14:35
Update:
The CD is now also available for pre-order on Amazon.com, release date stated as 12th April (current price $21.33).
Cheapest source seems to be 101cd: - http://www.101cd.com/Music/Liam-Davison-Treasure-Of-Well-Set-Jewels-A-Music-CD/TSA1003/product.htm where it is £10.99 in GBP (about 17.79 USD) + £1.29 postage to US.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 20:38
Thanks for the links. Nice interview and promising reviews.
Wymer UK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 05:25
Dear Liam Davison fans,

Thank you for your interest in A Treasure Of Well-Set Jewels.  With regards to MP3 files, we have not made digital versions of the tracks available commercially and would appreciate that you do not post mp3 files of these tracks on the Internet.  Not only will it deprive the artist of royalties but it also breaches copyright.

Regards

Wymer Records
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 15:06
Originally posted by Wymer UK Wymer UK wrote:

Dear Liam Davison fans,

Thank you for your interest in A Treasure Of Well-Set Jewels.  With regards to MP3 files, we have not made digital versions of the tracks available commercially and would appreciate that you do not post mp3 files of these tracks on the Internet.  Not only will it deprive the artist of royalties but it also breaches copyright.

Regards

Wymer Records

Thanks for letting us know - shame. I got the last MA album from Amazon UK, and I would have preferred to have got Liam's album in the same way.

As you infer, the fact that people can upload the file digitally from their CD will not prevent pirating, so depriving legitimate fans of a legal download does seem to be shooting yourself in the foot.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Wymer UK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 15:48
A Treasure Of Well-Set Jewels is available from Amazon UK. 

Whilst digital downloads are obviously becoming more popular, we pride ourselves on providing a complete package.  To make an album requires a lot of time, effort, artistic talent and of course money!  Everything from the hi-fidelity sound created in the studio, to the artwork.

While I accept that the quality of MP3's are improving, my personal opinion is that compared to a CD, the sound quality diminishes the end product.

For fans and music connoisseurs that are attracted to bands such as Mostly Autumn I find hard to fathom why they would be interested in experiencing the work with reduced dynamics.

In the example of MA's latest album, given that legally purchasing as a download from Amazon costs £6.32 and the CD only costs £3.67 more, it's even more baffling that fans would not want the full package. 

You say you would prefer to have Liam's CD in that format.  Well by purchasing the CD you get the best of both worlds because you then have the option to compress the file yourself, undo much of the engineer's work, pop it on to your mp3 player and listen to it in non hi-fi sound quality. 

Plus you still have the artwork to absorb, the credits to read about who plays on which track etc.  What could be better than that?  And finally, if you get to meet the artist in question you can always get them to sign it as well!

Imagine trying to do that with an MP3!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 16:32
Originally posted by Wymer UK Wymer UK wrote:

A Treasure Of Well-Set Jewels is available from Amazon UK. 

In the example of MA's latest album, given that legally purchasing as a download from Amazon costs £6.32 and the CD only costs £3.67 more, it's even more baffling that fans would not want the full package. 

When you buy quite a lot of music, with a very limited family budget, that £3.67 is actually quite a lot of money.

I find the MP3 format more than adequate, and also I like the convenience of having the work instantly rather than having to wait for a delivery.

I do downloading legally. I appreciate having it easily available legally. I do not deprive the artist of their hard earned cash.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 02:16
Compression to high-quality MP3 only damages the experience if you've got a really expensive audio system, which is rarely the case.

And that might surprise some, but there are people who prefer not to care about the package, delivery issue, finding space for yet another disc, and prefer to take advantage of the conveniences of the digital format. Which can be loseless, too (flac).
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 21:46
I guess the debate this thread has now turned into has been thrashed out many times before, and no doubt it will be repeated many times yet to come.  My own take on the matter is that there is nothing to beat relaxing in your living room with a CD playing in full hi-fidelity on your home music system, BUT it is also very desirable to have your favourite music in mp3 format, (slight loss of quality notwithstanding) to enable you to take it with you to other rooms, or away from the home altogether.
CDs are expensive (Wymer UK themselves charge £12.99 GBP plus £1.89 postage for this particular one), and Liam Davison as a solo artist is a totally unknown quantity. Despite his involvement with M.A., most people are going to be reluctant to punt almost £15 on someone whose solo offerings MAY turn out to be a huge disappointment.  I therefore feel that it is a huge disservice to an artist if their record label does not provide even the most rudimentary & brief edited clips of the songs from their debut album somewhere on their website, so that the public can get at least a FEEL of what to expect to hear if they buy it!! This omission HAS to deprive the artist of many potential sales! There is every likelihood that if the album DOES become successful, someone somewhere will upload it in full to a filesharing or torrent site, and if this remains the only way of getting a preview of the music, then some people will go ahead and download it, quite probably then deciding that the downloaded MP3s are perfectly good enough for their needs. I ordered my copy of the CD (from Amazon UK - the saving is simply too great to ignore) solely on the strength of what I already know of Liam's capabilities after following him in M.A. for many years, but If I hadn't got this prior knowledge, and I was faced with the situation we have here where NO MP3 samples are available anywhere - I would NOT have risked the outlay...at least not until I had heard them digitally somewhere. There are several good weekly prog music podcasts where the work of  new artists is aired (legally & with permission, as far as I can tell) in the form of selected full tracks from a  debut release - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network, & Epic Prog - The Lurker (on www.progrock.com) to name but a couple. This is where I listen to many of my "samples" before buying a CD, but as yet even these have not featured anything from poor Liam's debut offering!

Piracy is wrong for sure, but so is withholding edited lo-fi demo samples of a new artist's work from the very people who would be interested in purchasing it. Artists who have managed to set up their own personal websites provide such samples as a matter of course - sadly Liam does not, as yet, have this luxury. Guys at Wymer - he's relying on YOU...so please help the guy out!!

Edited by progrockfreak - April 03 2011 at 22:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 22:36
I agree, free mp3 tracks can help, at least a little.

Though as far as I can tell the only way for artists like Liam to sell more or less noticeable number of CDs is to offer them in concerts. In his case I think it should be Mostly Autumn concerts. But there is even no announcement on MA website yet.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 23:19
Liam left M.A. in 2007 for about a year to work on this very personal project, which I don't suppose went down too well at the time with Bryan Josh. It has taken another 3 years to actually get the album on sale. He seems to have left the whole of the CD distribution arrangements to Wymer UK  (though copies have been sent on to other more well-known outlets eg Amazon, 101CD, HMV, etc. who undercut Wymer's price in most cases). There are supposed to be only 1000 copies in total of the first production run, so whether any will find their way onto the merchandise table at M.A. gigs remains to be seen. I will be surprised if M.A. actually perform any of Liam's material either - and he won't be going on tour himself with his own band to perform it, as far as I can tell. I think this album was a "one off" that Liam simply wanted to get out of his system. He's probably not that bothered whether it sells well or not - it was just something he needed to do. I think that with the right promotion it COULD be a surprisingly GOOD seller - the reviews seem very positive indeed. My copy is now in the post - I'll add more after I've listened (at last!!) to the music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 23:46
I don't think too MA will play Liam's songs. But anyway I think concerts is the best place to sell records, including solo albums of the band members. It's the place where artist's audience is. 

Last summer I saw how good it could be organised at the concert of Hungarian band Kormoran, you could buy almost everithing: lots of Kormoran CDs and DVDs, solo albums of the band members, albums of friendly, similar in style, bands, T-shirts and other merchandising. In my opinion both artists and the audience only win with such approach. 

Edited by NotAProghead - April 04 2011 at 06:14
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 06:03
Agreed! Nothing is better than to go to a concert and witness a band play live before purchasing their albums etc. - often available at a good price via on-road merchandise. Kormoran have been going for a good while, and have a massive discography, as well as an excellent website - Liam Davison will most likely only ever release this one album, though M.A. themselves have a fair few albums and DVDs under their belt now, and also a very good website. I too hope that the rest of his band will help support and promote Liam's work now that it is released - some members certainly contributed during the recording of it.
Only time will tell.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 06:16
I hope Wymer UK will read our posts. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 06:18
Originally posted by progrockfreak progrockfreak wrote:

I guess the debate this thread has now turned into has been thrashed out many times before, and no doubt it will be repeated many times yet to come.  My own take on the matter is that there is nothing to beat relaxing in your living room with a CD playing in full hi-fidelity on your home music system, BUT it is also very desirable to have your favourite music in mp3 format, (slight loss of quality notwithstanding) to enable you to take it with you to other rooms, or away from the home altogether.
CDs are expensive (Wymer UK themselves charge £12.99 GBP plus £1.89 postage for this particular one), and Liam Davison as a solo artist is a totally unknown quantity. Despite his involvement with M.A., most people are going to be reluctant to punt almost £15 on someone whose solo offerings MAY turn out to be a huge disappointment.  I therefore feel that it is a huge disservice to an artist if their record label does not provide even the most rudimentary & brief edited clips of the songs from their debut album somewhere on their website, so that the public can get at least a FEEL of what to expect to hear if they buy it!! This omission HAS to deprive the artist of many potential sales! There is every likelihood that if the album DOES become successful, someone somewhere will upload it in full to a filesharing or torrent site, and if this remains the only way of getting a preview of the music, then some people will go ahead and download it, quite probably then deciding that the downloaded MP3s are perfectly good enough for their needs. I ordered my copy of the CD (from Amazon UK - the saving is simply too great to ignore) solely on the strength of what I already know of Liam's capabilities after following him in M.A. for many years, but If I hadn't got this prior knowledge, and I was faced with the situation we have here where NO MP3 samples are available anywhere - I would NOT have risked the outlay...at least not until I had heard them digitally somewhere. There are several good weekly prog music podcasts where the work of  new artists is aired (legally & with permission, as far as I can tell) in the form of selected full tracks from a  debut release - The Dividing Line Broadcast Network, & Epic Prog - The Lurker (on www.progrock.com) to name but a couple. This is where I listen to many of my "samples" before buying a CD, but as yet even these have not featured anything from poor Liam's debut offering!

Piracy is wrong for sure, but so is withholding edited lo-fi demo samples of a new artist's work from the very people who would be interested in purchasing it. Artists who have managed to set up their own personal websites provide such samples as a matter of course - sadly Liam does not, as yet, have this luxury. Guys at Wymer - he's relying on YOU...so please help the guy out!!

I fully agree, good post.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 14:55
Piracy is a bad thing, of course, but it's real and something the 21st century's artists have to deal with. I think this will mean more live sessions (they can't be pirated) that's not bad, but less effort for studio albums that for prog is a disaster. 
However, home taping didn't cause such a catastrophe in the 70s and 80s, so I'm not sure of what will happen.

Please friends remind that other than the artists who loose their earnings, there's a lot of workers in the majors who have lost their workplaces.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>