Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you trust the government?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Do you trust the government?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.55%]
5 [11.36%]
11 [25.00%]
12 [27.27%]
14 [31.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 01:05
I believe the government is run by super nice guys like Tommy Carcetti on The Wire. He is my man.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 01:09
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Government is only as good as the people in it, so this question is impossible to answer.
Good people easily abuse power when they get it so this statement fails. Again, itīs not about the players but about the game. 
 I agree with Henry (for once) The millions of good people who ever attained power and behaved responsibly thereafter all have at least one thing in common. No-one's ever heard of them and no-one writes about them. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion: Person + Power = Evil Person (jeez)Confused
Two things:
1) History seems to agree with me.
2) If we define "evil" as "abusig power to advance his own interests" then usually YES. If we take "evil" as I think you take it as necessarily a cold-blooded murdering tyrant, then no, but only not necessarily. Cases still abound of this type of "evil".
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 01:35
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

I believe the government is run by super nice guys like Tommy Carcetti on The Wire. He is my man.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 03:27

Government is only as good as the people in it, so this question is impossible to answer.
Good people easily abuse power when they get it so this statement fails. Again, itīs not about the players but about the game. 
 I agree with Henry (for once) The millions of good people who ever attained power and behaved responsibly thereafter all have at least one thing in common. No-one's ever heard of them and no-one writes about them. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion: Person + Power = Evil Person (jeez)Confused
Two things:
2) If we define "evil" as "abusig power to advance his own interests" then usually YES. If we take "evil" as I think you take it as necessarily a cold-blooded murdering tyrant, then no, but only not necessarily. Cases still abound of this type of "evil".

1) Which is precisely the error that I'm highlighting in red (The history of those quiet unassuming men who oversee accord, stability and equilibrium is NOT a spectator sport) - for every Stalin, Hitler, PolPot, Mussolini, Ghadaffi, Hussein, Amin et al there are MILLIONS of individuals who have steered their nations to unspectacular, steady and peace loving progress without recourse to the abuses of power exercised by those historians deem sufficiently demonic enough to earn royalties.
2) I meant both types but yes, power can corrupt in much the same way as any form of dishonesty can, be it in the Public or Private sectors, rich or poor.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 06:00
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Well the government in my country blocks YouTube so I can't see that video. Maybe you'll be able to guess which country I live in...
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 06:34
LOLLOL about as far as I can throw them!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 10:13
Not even with matches or a vagina.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:18
No...why should I?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:22
Who the hell said yes to this?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:36

Two things:

1) Which is precisely the error that I'm highlighting in red (The history of those quiet unassuming men who oversee accord, stability and equilibrium is NOT a spectator sport) - for every Stalin, Hitler, PolPot, Mussolini, Ghadaffi, Hussein, Amin et al there are MILLIONS of individuals who have steered their nations to unspectacular, steady and peace loving progress without recourse to the abuses of power exercised by those historians deem sufficiently demonic enough to earn royalties.
2) I meant both types but yes, power can corrupt in much the same way as any form of dishonesty can, be it in the Public or Private sectors, rich or poor.

1) I'm not just talking about the Hitlers, Stalins and the sort... The poll is about "the government", not about the rulers themselves. Even if a virtuous person is at the top of government, it's usually difficult to stop others less virtuous from being in his team (as I have experienced plenty in my country). Government as an entity made of more than one person corrupts, that's it. 
2) Power can corrupt for sure, in both sectors. But only the public sector has the law and force on its side. And for the private sector to abuse power, it usually is with the public sector's help...  
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:37
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Not even with matches or a vagina.

...wha? LOL
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:38
5th option.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:44

Two things:

1) I'm not just talking about the Hitlers, Stalins and the sort... The poll is about "the government", not about the rulers themselves. Even if a virtuous person is at the top of government, it's usually difficult to stop others less virtuous from being in his team (as I have experienced plenty in my country). Government as an entity made of more than one person corrupts, that's it. 
2) Power can corrupt for sure, in both sectors. But only the public sector has the law and force on its side. And for the private sector to abuse power, it usually is with the public sector's help...  

People have written very extensively about supposedly responsible and benevolent rulers. They turn out to be the worst ones very often. Look at some of the "humanitarian" presidents in US history: Wilson, FDR, Lincoln. Their images portray them as great champions, but they're complete brutes.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 12:54
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Two things:

People have written very extensively about supposedly responsible and benevolent rulers. They turn out to be the worst ones very often. Look at some of the "humanitarian" presidents in US history: Wilson, FDR, Lincoln. Their images portray them as great champions, but they're complete brutes.

Yes. Reading more about history you learn they used force on people much more than could be imagined, and started many of the programs which have eroded freedom... 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 13:16
Mother, should I trust the government? 

Edited by JJLehto - March 21 2011 at 13:16
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 13:33
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

A big f**k NO was displayed to these lyrics in Roger Waters' concert... Agreed. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 13:36

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

A big f**k NO was displayed to these lyrics in Roger Waters' concert... Agreed. 

I gave some standing applause at that point.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 13:39
^I would've imagined that... teary-eyed like girls on a Beatles concert in the 60s Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 13:48

^I would've imagined that... teary-eyed like girls on a Beatles concert in the 60s Tongue

Fairly accurate LOL

I had a similar moment during Bring the Boys Back Home.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 13:50
I would love to see Pink Floyd Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>