FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo... explain the whole "cape" thing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 12:25
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I don't mind the show and it can be fun and it may give a certain identity to the musician, but being also a jazz-rock-fusion fan I couldn't care less about it, most jazz-rock musicians just play with their daily jeans and T-shirt on, no fancy lighting or video screens, no show needed to keep the public's attention. I don't need it either, good music is more than enough. 

On the other hand, Miles Davis wore a glitter jacket when I saw him live on stage in 1986. And do you remember Herbie Hancock's Headhunters??? For all I know, even Chick Corea may have worn a cape (or just a funny hat!) in the old "Romantic Warrior" days...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 15:25

I don't mind the show and it can be fun and it may give a certain identity to the musician, but being also a jazz-rock-fusion fan I couldn't care less about it, most jazz-rock musicians just play with their daily jeans and T-shirt on, no fancy lighting or video screens, no show needed to keep the public's attention. I don't need it either, good music is more than enough. 

No fancy lighting?  Check out these photos from Fareed Haques' recent "Math Games" gig!  

Nobody on PA seems to talk about Fareed, he is drop-dead amazing (PhD in guitar studies, chair of music at Northwestern Illinois University) and has a technique that rivals, if not blows past, many of the jazz-rock alums of the 70's!!  

However, John McLaughlin is God, he can wear a cape or anything else that he wants to.  I'd carry it for him. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 15:42
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

No fancy lighting?  Check out these photos from Fareed Haques' recent "Math Games" gig!  

Nobody on PA seems to talk about Fareed, he is drop-dead amazing (PhD in guitar studies, chair of music at Northwestern Illinois University) and has a technique that rivals, if not blows past, many of the jazz-rock alums of the 70's!!  

However, John McLaughlin is God, he can wear a cape or anything else that he wants to.  I'd carry it for him. 
Well for sure there are exceptions to every statement, I just said that most jazz-rock musicians do not rely on show elements to ensure a good concert. And I have to admit that I'm not familiar with Fareed Haques work, probably one more in the very long list of artists to check out Unhappy
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 18:59
This is Showbiz folks. Def Wakeman can't E-cape that fact.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 04:54
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Wakeman though came from the 70s and it was all glitz and glamour so his cape was only in response to the latest glam fad. Heaps of artists wore capes,
Steve Priest of Sweet,

Gary Glitter,

Elton John,

Brian May,

Slade

Kiss

It was the 70s thing

nobody questioned it

the same as wearing platform boots 

This is very true, and I must congratulate you on your new avatar (Lieutenant Gay Ellis, if I remember it right!), which I noticed for the first time today, and which nicely coincides with prog's heyday! (Having said that, I watched each episode of the wonderfully dressy "UFO" long before I was a progger...)
Hey thanks for that. i have had a lot of positive comments about Lt Ellis.... so i will be sticking with her, even if I change her photo from time to time.

Yeah it is my fave show from the 70s no doubt about it.

70s Nostalgia!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 15:49
Just found this.....Chris Squire models a lovely purple cape for us!!  Damn, was this a GREAT song!!   

I feel sorry that Peter Banks was booted out....Howe took his place on the album cover and in this video!  

Howe generated amazing music with Yes, but Banks was also impressive! We'll never know how that might have worked out. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 15:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Just found this.....Chris Squire models a lovely purple cape for us!!  Damn, was this a GREAT song!!   

Hahahaha ... we missed the boat!

It's about getting enough attention that some folks think the music is good?

Right on ... I knew there was a reason why I liked YES ... I even got me a nice Edwardian Cloak with tassles and the whole works ... a few years later! ... there must have been a reson why I also did Costumes and Makeup in my theater days!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 15:32

'Yes', it all got rather silly, but you can't accuse Rick of not having a sense of humour about it. It was other people who used it as a cover for sl*g.ing off the excesses of the 70s.

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 15:46
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

This is true too. BILL BRUFORD never wore a cape!

True... but he did wear this:

Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 16:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Get Cape, Wear Cape, Play Prog

No one wore the cape quite like P. Hawk. If anyone could get away with it it would be him.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 21:04
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Brian May,

Ohhh c'mon ... Freddie wore some of the prettiest capes ever built! ... and some of them would even make the Queen mom proud. Only Fellini could have paraded a cape better in one of his movies (... if you haven't seen it ... too bad!!!) Even Prince Charles can't wear one of those because he knows that he would not look good in it compared to Freddie!

It's a very English thing ... they love their "symbol" of power and control of the masses! And a cape is a nice way to show off your ability and power, and we're too stupid and think that it is great ... and sometimes ... it wasn't! In fact, sometimes it was down right boring and pathetic! Not to mention down right ugly!

Edited by moshkito - April 20 2011 at 21:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 23:02
Freddiemercury 
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Ozexpat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie