Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [34.48%]
57 [65.52%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 05:03
^Agree with you on everything. Shame about the sloppy drumming on Trespass, but I still love it.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 05:09
Originally posted by Anderson III Anderson III wrote:

Both are decent albums, but neither are even close to the best works by the respective bands. I think out of these two, Trespass is the better one.
This.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 22:19
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

in a certain way two opposite recordings - one marks the rise of a prog group, the other the decline of another group. yes, I say decline - "Animals" is in my opinion a bad album - a bunch of boring old farts don'tmanage to get their asses into motion and are overtaken by punk and new wave. the album is "behäbig", to use a German word which roughly translates as "sedate", though there is no fitting English translation for that word.

so my vote of course goes to "Trespass", though it suffers from bad drumming, in my opinion. Genesis knew why they were searching for a drummer and were lucky to find Phil Collins for the next album

If you're basing your opinion on the rising popularity of punk and new wave in the late 70's and falling popularity of Prog Rock, you're chosen the wrong band to criticize, because Pink Floyd were one of the few Prog Rock bands to make a successful transition into the 80's, with sales of The Wall album outstripping sales of most punk and new wave bands combined. Until the arrival of U2 many punk and new wave bands didn't know which end of the guitar to play, so give me the bunch of boring old farts any day of the week.

Edited by iluvmarillion - March 23 2011 at 22:20
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 22:39
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Agree with you on everything. Shame about the sloppy drumming on Trespass, but I still love it.

Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't distracted by the drumming at all. John Mayhew clearly wasn't the right drummer for Genesis and it was fortuitous that Phil Collins happened to be around at that time, but I still think that Trespass is a superior album to Nursery Cryme. To draw a comparison to Marillion, Ian Mosley IMO is a much better drummer than Mick Pointer, but Script For A Jester's Tear is a much better album than Fugazi. 
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 16:57
STOP IT ALREADY (animals)!
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 13:07
I think Mayhew did a fine job drumming on Trespass. The album is what it is. and I love it. So do 27 others apparently. Cudos to those 27!
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
silcir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 14:37
Animals. My favorite Pink Floyd album. Tresspass still great anyway.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 14:53
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

in a certain way two opposite recordings - one marks the rise of a prog group, the other the decline of another group. yes, I say decline - "Animals" is in my opinion a bad album - a bunch of boring old farts don'tmanage to get their asses into motion and are overtaken by punk and new wave. the album is "behäbig", to use a German word which roughly translates as "sedate", though there is no fitting English translation for that word.

so my vote of course goes to "Trespass", though it suffers from bad drumming, in my opinion. Genesis knew why they were searching for a drummer and were lucky to find Phil Collins for the next album

If you're basing your opinion on the rising popularity of punk and new wave in the late 70's and falling popularity of Prog Rock, you're chosen the wrong band to criticize, because Pink Floyd were one of the few Prog Rock bands to make a successful transition into the 80's, with sales of The Wall album outstripping sales of most punk and new wave bands combined. Until the arrival of U2 many punk and new wave bands didn't know which end of the guitar to play, so give me the bunch of boring old farts any day of the week.

I am basing my opinion on the album "Animals" alone. I mention punk and new wave because of their energy only and nothing else; compared to that "Animals" is "behäbig" indeed.
Sales have never interested me; if anything they are an indicator of mediocrity. There are exceptions to that; even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, but as a rule of thumbs it works pretty well.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 15:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Trespass for me.  I was a later comer for Animals so it comes in second.

That's a good way to put it, but mine is Animals, with Trespass as a later comer. Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 03:51
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't distracted by the drumming at all. John Mayhew clearly wasn't the right drummer for Genesis and it was fortuitous that Phil Collins happened to be around at that time, but I still think that Trespass is a superior album to Nursery Cryme. To draw a comparison to Marillion, Ian Mosley IMO is a much better drummer than Mick Pointer, but Script For A Jester's Tear is a much better album than Fugazi. 

I said I still love, didn't I? I also voted for it.
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 20:16
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................
tied. both are masterpieces
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123